The official "JD Drew is already injured" thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The official "JD Drew is already injured" thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The official "JD Drew is already injured" thread

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:59 pm

December 16, 2006, 03:53 PM ET
Drew Deal in Trouble?
by Will Carroll

Tony Massarotti of the Boston Herald got the story first, but I have more details on the specifics of the J.D. Drew physical. Drew took the physical shortly after the announcement of the deal in Orlando, but sources have told me that Drew showed problems in his shoulder that “could shut down his power.” Drew had minor surgery on his shoulder after the 2005 season, so it’s possible that there’s more damage in there. It’s important to note that in free agent acquisitions, a team often does not have the benefit of requesting medical records from his previous team prior to signing. Speculation centers on the damage to Drew’s shoulder being more like Scott Rolen circa 2005. As Massarotti reports, it is more likely that the Red Sox get protection in the form of a very limited escape clause rather than scuttling the deal altogether. Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had someone kick him in the groin.

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=103

If he really has an injury that is zapping his power he is of little or no value in the fantasy world. I was considering taking a flier on him if he fell far enough (he is going to get pitches to hit with Manny and Papi infront of him), but this news is going to keep me away entirely. At least before you knew he would produce when healthy and could just plug in a replacement when he went down.
Last edited by thedude on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BravesGuy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:07 pm

I might take a chance on him in like the 25th round or something.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:57 pm

Not sure if you're being facetious so pardon me if you are but I don't think he'll be around that long, power or not. Even if he only hits 20 HR again the R and RBI potential with the Sox is enticing.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:Not sure if you're being facetious so pardon me if you are but I don't think he'll be around that long, power or not. Even if he only hits 20 HR again the R and RBI potential with the Sox is enticing.

I doubt he will last that long either, but depending on how much power he loses could have a similar year to what mike lowell did last year, 80 runs, 80 rbis.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:19 pm

:-D

he's already hurt..
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:Not sure if you're being facetious so pardon me if you are but I don't think he'll be around that long, power or not. Even if he only hits 20 HR again the R and RBI potential with the Sox is enticing.

I have to agree with you. He should produce even without HRs.
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Yup, agreed. This surgery apparently happened after '05 and he still cranked out 20 HR in '06 (in under 500 AB), so if he can show that kind of power in Boston, his overall numbers should be just fine.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:45 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:

Yup, agreed. This surgery apparently happened after '05 and he still cranked out 20 HR in '06 (in under 500 AB), so if he can show that kind of power in Boston, his overall numbers should be just fine.

Power numbers will be there with the short right field in Fenway..
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby acapulco » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:58 pm

Right field in Fenway isn't short. The green monster is in left. Right field is actually kind of spacious.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Right field in Fenway isn't short. The green monster is in left. Right field is actually kind of spacious.

Correct. If you don't wrap it around the Pole then you better start running fast.

It's Yankee Stadium that is short for lefties.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers