BMRA-Round 1-In Utero vs. Cowboys from Hell - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-In Utero vs. Cowboys from Hell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:29 am

In Utero
59%
Cowboys from Hell
41%

Total votes : 41

BMRA-Round 1-In Utero vs. Cowboys from Hell

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:29 am

Nirvana's In Utero
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Nirvana probably hired Steve Albini to produce In Utero with the hopes of creating their own Surfer Rosa, or at least shoring up their indie cred after becoming a pop phenomenon with a glossy punk record. In Utero, of course, turned out to be their last record, and it's hard not to hear it as Kurt Cobain's suicide note, since Albini's stark, uncompromising sound provides the perfect setting for Cobain's bleak, even nihilistic, lyrics. Even if the album wasn't a literal suicide note, it was certainly a conscious attempt to shed their audience -- an attempt that worked, by the way, since the record had lost its momentum when Cobain died in the spring of 1994. Even though the band tempered some of Albini's extreme tactics in a remix, the record remains a deliberately alienating experience, front-loaded with many of its strongest songs, then descending into a series of brief, dissonant squalls before concluding with "All Apologies," which only gets sadder with each passing year. Throughout it all, Cobain's songwriting is typically haunting, and its best moments rank among his finest work, but the over-amped dynamicism of the recording seems like a way to camouflage his dispiritedness -- as does the fact that he consigned such great songs as "Verse Chorus Verse" and "I Hate Myself and Want to Die" to compilations, when they would have fit, even illuminated the themes of In Utero. Even without those songs, In Utero remains a shattering listen, whether it's viewed as Cobain's farewell letter or self-styled audience alienation. Few other records are as willfully difficult as this.

Pantera's Cowboys from Hell
Review by Steve Huey

Pantera's breakthrough album, Cowboys From Hell, is largely driven by the band's powerful rhythm section and guitarist Diamond Darrell (as he was then known)'s unbelievably forceful riffing, which skittered around the downbeats to produce unexpected rhythmic phrases and accents, as well as his inventive soloing. Phil Anselmo displayed a vocal range that could switch from a growling shout to a high falsetto -- listen to him match Darrell's harmonic squeals at the end of "Cemetery Gates." The album gradually becomes more same-sounding as it goes on, but the first half, featuring such brutal slices of thrash as "Psycho Holiday," "Primal Concrete Sledge," and the title track, pretty much carries its momentum all the way through.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:34 am

Next 4 matchups: Blood Sugar Sex Magik against Grassroots
Vs. vs. the Stone Roses
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness vs. Lateralus
Appetite for Destruction vs. Cracked Rear View
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:31 am

Not my favorite Pantera album, but I'll take it over Nirvana anyday.
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:02 am

I'd vote for VDOP over In Utero, but not CFH. THere are a couple of tracks on In Utero that are basically unlistenable, but the likes of Heart Shaped Box/Dumb/Rape Me still get it my vote here.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:09 am

BritSox wrote:I'd vote for VDOP over In Utero, but not CFH. THere are a couple of tracks on In Utero that are basically unlistenable, but the likes of Heart Shaped Box/Dumb/Rape Me still get it my vote here.

Did Vulger Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven make it in this thing? Far Beyond Driven is one the best heavy metal albums ever IMO.
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:30 am

Jimboozie wrote:
BritSox wrote:I'd vote for VDOP over In Utero, but not CFH. THere are a couple of tracks on In Utero that are basically unlistenable, but the likes of Heart Shaped Box/Dumb/Rape Me still get it my vote here.

Did Vulger Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven make it in this thing? Far Beyond Driven is one the best heavy metal albums ever IMO.

Nope. Of the giants of metal, only Metallica got two i believe. Plenty of top ten ever metal albums didn't make it, but then, this isn't just a metal competition.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:34 am

BritSox wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:

Nope. Of the giants of metal, only Metallica got two i believe. Plenty of top ten ever metal albums didn't make it, but then, this isn't just a metal competition.

Crap, that sucks. So there won't be any Lamb of God vs Opeth matchups? :-/
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:38 am

There won't be any featuring either.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:59 am

Vulgar Display is easily my favorite Pantera CD, but even Cowboys dumps all over In Utero.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:01 am

Though I liked Nirvana, Utero I didn't care for too much. I'll take Pantera over this one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to General Talk