BMRA-Round 1-Dookie vs. Jagged Little Pill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Dookie vs. Jagged Little Pill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which one?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Dookie
77%
Jagged Little Pill
23%

Total votes : 44

BMRA-Round 1-Dookie vs. Jagged Little Pill

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Green Day's Dookie
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Green Day couldn't have had a blockbuster without Nirvana, but Dookie wound up being nearly as revolutionary as Nevermind, sending a wave of imitators up the charts and setting the tone for the mainstream rock of the mid-'90s. Like Nevermind, this was accidental success, the sound of a promising underground group suddenly hitting its stride just as they got their first professional, big-budget, big-label production. Really, that's where the similarities end, since if Nirvana were indebted to the weirdness of indie rock, Green Day were straight-ahead punk revivalists through and through. They were products of the underground pop scene kept alive by such protagonists as All, yet what they really loved was the original punk, particularly such British punkers as the Jam and Buzzcocks. On their first couple records, they showed promise, but with Dookie, they delivered a record that found Billie Joe Armstrong bursting into full flower as a songwriter, spitting out melodic ravers that could have comfortable sat alongside Singles Going Steady, but infused with an ironic self-loathing popularized by Nirvana, whose clean sound on Nevermind is also emulated here. Where Nirvana had weight, Green Day are deliberately adolescent here, treating nearly everything as joke and having as much fun as snotty punkers should. They demonstrate a bit of depth with "When I Come Around," but that just varies the pace slightly, since the key to this is their flippant, infectious attitude -- something they maintain throughout the record, making Dookie a stellar piece of modern punk that many tried to emulate but nobody bettered.

Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

It's remarkable that Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill struck a sympathetic chord with millions of listeners, because it's so doggedly, determinedly insular. This, after all, plays like an emotional purging, prompted by a bitter relationship -- and, according to all the lyrical hints, that's likely a record executive who took advantage of a young Alanis. She never disguises her outright rage and disgust, whether it's the vengeful wrath of "You Oughta Know" or asking him "you scan the credits for your name and wonder why it's not there." This is such insider information that it's hard to believe that millions of listeners not just bought it, but embraced it, turning Alanis Morisette into a mid-'90s phenomenon. Perhaps it was the individuality that made it appealing, since its specificity lent it genuineness -- and, even if this is clearly an attempt to embrace the "women in rock" movement in alterna-rock, Morissette's intentions are genuine. Often, it seems like Glen Ballard's pop inclinations fight against Alanis' exorcisms, as her bitter diary entries are given a pop gloss that gives them entry to the pop charts. What's all the more remarkable is that Alanis isn't a particularly good singer, stretching the limits of pitch and credibility with her octave-skipping caterwauling. At its core, this is the work of an ambitious but sophomoric 19-year-old, once burned by love, but still willing to open her heart a second time. All of this adds up to a record that's surprisingly effective, an utterly fascinating exploration of a young woman's psyche. As slick as the music is, the lyrics are unvarnished and Morissette unflinchingly explores emotions so common, most people would be ashamed to articulate them. This doesn't make Jagged Little Pill great, but it does make it a fascinating record, a phenomenon that's intensely personal.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:18 am

Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but why is Alanis Morissette even considered? I think Megadeth's Rust In Peace or Slayer's Reign In Blood should be here in lieu of Jagged Little Pill.

At any rate, Dookie and Insomniac signaled the peak of Green Day in my opinion, but I say that out of nostalgia. I was 12 when Dookie was released and so I suppose it was only fitting that it was the soundtrack of life when life as a teen was just beginning for me at the time. I'm not so much of a fan of Green Day today probably because I felt it was a teenage fad (in my teens, I was getting into metal as well, to the point where I'm a full-fledged metalhead) and I'm not too keen about them displaying a political theme to their music to some extent. Dookie wins hands-down for me.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:24 am

:-° Tough choice

Both aregreat albums, but I have to go with Dookie.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby suppasonic » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:35 am

Here's to Dookie! The only album I know in this damn thing.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:45 am

Alanis Morrissette? :-?

You baseball guys taking estrogen pills instead of steroids? :-b
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:00 am

Jimboozie wrote:Alanis Morrissette? :-?

JLP was a HUGE hit, and there are only like two or three female-fronted acts in this discussion, which is why it's here. For your 'why is it here?' I'd apply that equally to the second pearl jam album, and Creed.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:57 am

BritSox wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:Alanis Morrissette? :-?

JLP was a HUGE hit, and there are only like two or three female-fronted acts in this discussion, which is why it's here. For your 'why is it here?' I'd apply that equally to the second pearl jam album, and Creed.

And Hootie, and Bon Jovi, and Barenaked Ladies, and Dave Matthews and Buckcherry (whoever that is), and.....

Pissed-off Alanis easily trumps all of those folks. Happy Alanis is pretty much unlistenable, but that's a different subject.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:04 am

Alanis Morrissette always made me want to stab myself in the ear and there was a time when I liked Green Day, especially Dookie, so I'll take the fake punks in this one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:02 pm

DOOKIE!!!!!
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk