Poll ended at Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:07 pm

Nevermind
86%
R
14%

Total votes : 37

BMRA-Round 1-Nevermind vs. R

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:07 pm

I'm going out later today, might not have time later so I'll just post it now.

This is a 2 days poll

Nirvana's Nevermind

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Nevermind was never meant to change the world, but you can never predict when the zeitgeist will hit, and Nirvana's second album turned out to be the place where alternative rock crashed into the mainstream. This wasn't entirely an accident, either, since Nirvana did sign with a major label, and they did release a record with a shiny surface, no matter how humongous the guitars sounded. And, yes, Nevermind is probably a little shinier than it should be, positively glistening with echo and fuzz-box distortion, especially when compared with the black-and-white murk of Bleach. This doesn't discount the record, since it's not only much harder than any mainstream rock of 1991, its character isn't on the surface, it's in the exhilaratingly raw music and haunting songs. Kurt Cobain's personal problems and subsequent suicide naturally deepens the dark undercurrents, but no matter how much anguish there is on Nevermind, it's bracing because he exorcises those demons through his evocative wordplay and mangled screams -- and because the band has a tremendous, unbridled power that transcends the pain, turning into pure catharsis. And, that's as key to the record's success as Cobain's songwriting, since Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl help turn this into music that is gripping, powerful, and even fun (and, really, there's no other way to characterize "Territorial Pissings" or the surging "Breed"). In retrospect, Nevermind may seem a little too unassuming for its mythic status -- it's simply a great modern punk record -- but even though it may no longer seem life-changing, it is certainly life-affirming, which may just be better.

Queen of the Stone Age's R
Review by Steve Huey

The second Queens of the Stone Age album, R (as in the movie rating; its title was changed from II at the last minute before release) makes its stoner rock affiliations clear right from the opening track. The lyrics of "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" consist entirely of a one-line list of recreational drugs that Josh Homme rattles off over and over, a gag that gets pretty tiresome by the end of the song (and certainly doesn't need the reprise that follows "In the Fade"). Fortunately, the rest of the material is up to snuff. R is mellower, trippier, and more arranged than its predecessor, making its point through warm fuzz-guitar tones, ethereal harmonies, vibraphones, horns, and even the odd steel drum. That might alienate listeners who have come to expect a crunchier guitar attack, but even though it's not really aggro, R is still far heavier than the garage-punk and grunge that inform much of the record. It's still got the vaunted Arizona-desert vibes of Kyuss, but it evokes a more relaxed, spacious, twilight feel, as opposed to a high-noon meltdown. Mark Lanegan and Barrett Martin of the Screaming Trees both appear on multiple tracks, and their band's psychedelic grunge -- in its warmer, less noisy moments -- is actually not a bad point of comparison. Longtime Kyuss fans might be disappointed at the relative lack of heaviness, but R's direction was hinted at on the first QOTSA album, and Homme's experimentation really opens up the band's sound, pointing to exciting new directions for heavy guitar rock in the new millennium.

I expect this to be a landslide :-b
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:13 pm

Nirvana was probably my least favorite of grunge's Big Four. But this should be a landslide, if for nothing else than creating what became the motto for my generation.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:11 am

I feel Nirvana is a bit overrated as well and would prefer Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam, in that order over Nirvana. I like QOTSA and I do like Rated R, but they're somewhat of a novelty band in my opinion that wears off over time. R isn't quite as complete as Songs for the Deaf, although R has my two favorite QOTSA songs, which happen to be Feel Good Hit of the Summer and In The Fade. But keeping things in perspective, Kyuss was just a higher-quality, authentic Stoner Rock band. Nevermind is Nirvana's iconic album which fetches too much radio play, but should win easily, especially with the impact it had on the music scene at the time and the boom in fans after Kurt Cobain's passing.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:24 am

Nevermind easily
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:17 am

nirvana easy

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:04 am

I'm a little surprised that Rated R (isn't that the official name of the album?) is on here rather than Songs for the Deaf... or are they both in the battle? Seems a little much for a band that's commercially considered a one-hit wonder (thanks in part to Dave Grohl) and professionally as a bit of novelty. After all, the bandmembers seem to be a revolving door.

In any case, as overrated as Nirvana is, Nevermind is one of the better modern rock albums and will make a strong showing for the later rounds.... plus Rolling Stone notoriously gave it 3 out of 5 stars, then later named it one of the greatest albums of all time.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:41 am

I'm gonna create 50 fake accounts just to knock Nirvana out of this thing. :-[

QOTSA gets my vote out of spite.
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:57 am

Coppermine wrote:I'm a little surprised that Rated R (isn't that the official name of the album?) is on here rather than Songs for the Deaf... or are they both in the battle? Seems a little much for a band that's commercially considered a one-hit wonder (thanks in part to Dave Grohl) and professionally as a bit of novelty. After all, the bandmembers seem to be a revolving door.

One hit wonder? Lost Art of Keeping A Secret, Feelgood hit of the summer and No One Knows were all pretty big on rock radio, over here at least.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:09 am

There was a time when Nevermind was my favorite album. Those days are long gone, but I'll vote for them for memory's sake.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 pm

BritSox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I'm a little surprised that Rated R (isn't that the official name of the album?) is on here rather than Songs for the Deaf... or are they both in the battle? Seems a little much for a band that's commercially considered a one-hit wonder (thanks in part to Dave Grohl) and professionally as a bit of novelty. After all, the bandmembers seem to be a revolving door.

One hit wonder? Lost Art of Keeping A Secret, Feelgood hit of the summer and No One Knows were all pretty big on rock radio, over here at least.

It might just be where I live since they play nothing but garbage. I'd rather listen to an hour of Prairie Home Companion than local music stations.

Well, maybe I wouldn't go THAT far...
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk