Death to the Infidels! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Death to the Infidels!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Yes and hopefully the Spaghetti-Monsterites will take a few extra steps and fall off a cliff so I don't have to waste my spirit points popping a cap in those muthas. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:58 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
BritSox wrote: Also, Acidrock, as for the NI issue- it isn't entirely, or primarily, about religion. It's much more about national identity with those identifying themselves as British generally being Protestant, whilst those who consider themselves Irish foremost happening to be Catholic.

But didn't the English import Protestants to run the place in lieu of the Catholics for 400 or so years, egineering a political structure, famines, etc. to keep the profits coming in and to disenfranchise 'home rule'? Recently, perhaps religion has faded as the 'primary' driver of allegiance but I think that the roots are still religious in nature.

The short answer is no. The long answer runs for several books' worth. Suffice to say, the famines were in no way 'engineered.'
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only. I know many Catholics that I consider to be Christians, but many more that I don't, unfortunately. :-[

Well a Christian is a person "Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus."

So maybe your defintion of a Christian is too narrow.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yes and hopefully the Spaghetti-Monsterites will take a few extra steps and fall off a cliff so I don't have to waste my spirit points popping a cap in those muthas. B-)

:-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:31 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Yes and hopefully the Spaghetti-Monsterites will take a few extra steps and fall off a cliff so I don't have to waste my spirit points popping a cap in those muthas. B-)

Don't feel too bad for them- after all, their heaven contains beer volcanoes and stripper factories. In other words, it's a lot like Wr's house the night the Padres clinched the division.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:49 pm

BritSox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Don't feel too bad for them- after all, their heaven contains beer volcanoes and stripper factories. In other words, it's a lot like Wr's house the night the Padres clinched the division.

Aren't they called Pastafarians anyway? It's really just a joke, so I wouldn't take it too seriously regardless.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:32 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only.

Are you just trying to be offensive?

Of course not, Amazinz. That's why I began with what I did. I'm not going to expound on my points of view on this matter, because they are largely unpopular. I suppose, though, that I mainly look into percentages and maybe that's not fair because there are a great deal more Catholics than other denominations.

Of course I do not mean to offend anyone and I suppose I could have kept that to myself...I apologize.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Callahan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only.

Of course not, Amazinz. That's why I began with what I did. I'm not going to expound on my points of view on this matter, because they are largely unpopular. I suppose, though, that I mainly look into percentages and maybe that's not fair because there are a great deal more Catholics than other denominations.

Of course I do not mean to offend anyone and I suppose I could have kept that to myself...I apologize.

Don't act as a edited, and you won't be perceived as one. I've always found it a good trade-off, but whatever floats your boat. :-°
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:45 pm

Callahan wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

Don't act as a edited, and you won't be perceived as one. I've always found it a good trade-off, but whatever floats your boat. :-°

True, but give the guy his props for sacking up and apologising.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Callahan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:46 pm

BritSox wrote:
Callahan wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

True, but give the guy his props for sacking up and apologising.

True true. Props given. I hadn't seen his original comments until now, it pissed me off.
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk