Return to General Talk

Death to the Infidels!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:41 pm

BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Callahan wrote:So does this mean it's finally okay to produce a game where you can shoot evangelicals...?

Yes...apparently. I've read most of those Left Behind books, the series the game is supposed to resemble, and nowhere do I remember Christians mowing down nonbelievers in a hail of gunfire. I'm appalled that the authors would allow this. I see their point, but it's not what Jesus would have approved of.

The books are awful as well. Bigoted, badly-written propaganda. :-t

Yeah, I have to agree with the badly-written part. As for 'bigoted'...they're Christian books. Who are they discriminating against? Just because a book considers only one view point, does not make it bigotry.

Catholics, for starters?

Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only. I know many Catholics that I consider to be Christians, but many more that I don't, unfortunately. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only.

Are you just trying to be offensive?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, this is definitely territory we don't need to be getting into, but Catholicism can oftentimes be considered a Christian religion in principle only.

Are you just trying to be offensive?

You know what's Christian religion "in principle?" Telling people to hate gays, and Jews, Muslims and people who don't speak English. Blaming the country's problems and natural disasters on America's tolerance. Putting stickers on science textbooks, and guilting people into the whole "we're right, everyone else is wrong" bit. Teaching that diversity is wrong, and that anyone not like us is evil and going to hell. Condemning all the sinning non-Christians of the world and then buying meth and having sex with a male prostitute. Or lobbying Congress with demands that this is a Christian nation and that all Americans must have Christian morals, regardless of their sinful beliefs. Neglecting the messages of love, forgiveness, kindness, understanding and charity for much more exciting things like banning gay marriage, refuting science, hating the liberal media and blaming the Supreme Court for their evil secularity.

Now, lets go wage a "War on Christmas" and say "Happy Holiday's" to everyone we meet... because the liberal media HATES that! Haha, that'll show 'em!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:16 pm

And this is what Catholics do???

So what is your point other than attempting to pick a fight?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:36 pm

First off, I'm Catholic. I can't say I'm a very devout one because I'm the type of person that's open to other ideologies and redefining the meaning of what it means to be Catholic for personal reasons. That's beside the point, but from my personal experience, a good share or most Catholics I know, aren't extreme as our secular society tends to portray them. I'm sure there's a good share of evangelicals or Born-Agains of whom aren't extreme in the sense that they support a holier-than-thou ideology, even though I haven't met one.

The point is Christianity is such a diverse religion where the schools of thought differ to some level from one branch to another, just like the political spectrum. Catholicism is a subset of Christianity and within this subset, is a diverse body of followers with different levels of religious devotion, political views, ethnicity, nationality, and what-have-you. Among this, you'll have Catholics that don't always live their lives to the Church's principles just like I'm sure there are Christians and folks that have other religious affiliations, which are nowhere near close to the Ned Flanders type.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Catholicism is a subset of Christianity and within this subset, is a diverse body of followers with different levels of religious devotion, political views, ethnicity, nationality, and what-have-you. Among this, you'll have Catholics that don't always live their lives to the Church's principles just like I'm sure there are Christians and folks that have other religious affiliations, which are nowhere near close to the Ned Flanders type.

It may also be illustrative to recall that 'Christianity' is actually an offshoot of Catholicism, and that both the Reformation itself and the Catholic Counter-Reformation both performed similar functions in cleaning up demonstrable problems with the late Medieval Catholic church.

Unfortunately, the distrust and animosity engendered by the conflicts surrounding the Reformation and the 30 Years War continue through this day. Maybe it's not as nasty in the US as in say Ulster, where the Orangemen still occasionally enjoy throwing rocks at little girls, but to me, the fact that those sorts of conflicts continue has said something important to me about the nature of both of those religions. Something similar to what I would get out of this video game, I'd imagine.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Yah, because Christ only gets mentioned, like, every other sentence in Catholic services. :-?

Also, Acidrock, as for the NI issue- it isn't entirely, or primarily, about religion. It's much more about national identity with those identifying themselves as British generally being Protestant, whilst those who consider themselves Irish foremost happening to be Catholic.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 pm

BritSox wrote: Also, Acidrock, as for the NI issue- it isn't entirely, or primarily, about religion. It's much more about national identity with those identifying themselves as British generally being Protestant, whilst those who consider themselves Irish foremost happening to be Catholic.

But didn't the English import Protestants to run the place in lieu of the Catholics for 400 or so years, egineering a political structure, famines, etc. to keep the profits coming in and to disenfranchise 'home rule'? Recently, perhaps religion has faded as the 'primary' driver of allegiance but I think that the roots are still religious in nature.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:13 pm

You can cite evil deeds from around the world that are associated with religion. These atrocities say something about the nature of man. Do you really think the actions of the Orange Order tell you something about the nature of the Protestant religion?
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:34 pm

What does it even matter though?

If you were born in India, you'd be Hindi. If you were born in Saudi Arabia, you'd be Muslim. If you were born in Denmark during the time of the Vikings, you'd worship Wotan and Thor. If you were born in central Africa you may be worshiping the great JuJu of the Mountain.

What I like about the so-called novelty religions, i.e. the Pink Unicorn or The Flying Spaghetti Monster is that it sort of disproves the whole "prove me wrong" theory of Christianity or any other major religion, Judeo-Christian or otherwise. I may not be able to prove that your God doesn't exist, but you can't prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist either. Of course doing so would mean suppressing some logic, but then wasn't it Galileo who said "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

And although I have no interest in getting into a debate on the feasibility of someone's version of the creation of the universe, I do think everyone should at least take a step back before deciding who is truly right vs. who is wrong.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk