Death to the Infidels! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Death to the Infidels!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:28 am

I've heard of such a game about six months ago, I believe.

Action games and RPG's in general, feature some degree of violence at some level, which makes it objectionable for some people, depending on their threshold for tolerating such material. What makes this game different is just the intent of the game and it's quite a big difference. If you play a game such as Halo or Call of Duty, the game is meant to immerse in an interactive environment, which resembles a cathartic action fantasy, you could say. Here, the intent of the game is evangelization, even if folks are more than willing to refuse being converted, to the point that the aim (indirectly or otherwise) is undermining other schools of thought in regards to religion, spirituality, and philosophy. This could hit the fan, where it can be interpreted as defamation at some level.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:50 am

I haven't played the game so don't have an opinion as far as the game content is concerned. The story has been tough to miss though unless you've been living in a cave. What I do know is that the media has been very sensationalistic.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:15 am

Amazinz wrote:I haven't played the game so don't have an opinion as far as the game content is concerned. The story has been tough to miss though unless you've been living in a cave. What I do know is that the media has been very sensationalistic.

I know I don't live in a cave; but I do get about 95% of my news from NPR and I have not heard a thing about this game on it. In fact, i learned about this from Google News just this week for time, but I couldn't find a single story on it... everything about this game is from editorials.

So, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the media is being sensationalistic (I'm pretty sure that's not a word, but it's cool) about it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:44 am

Coppermine wrote:So, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the media is being sensationalistic (I'm pretty sure that's not a word, but it's cool) about it.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. It is indeed a real word. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:49 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Callahan wrote:So does this mean it's finally okay to produce a game where you can shoot evangelicals...?

Yes...apparently. I've read most of those Left Behind books, the series the game is supposed to resemble, and nowhere do I remember Christians mowing down nonbelievers in a hail of gunfire. I'm appalled that the authors would allow this. I see their point, but it's not what Jesus would have approved of.

The books are awful as well. Bigoted, badly-written propaganda. :-t
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:15 am

BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Callahan wrote:So does this mean it's finally okay to produce a game where you can shoot evangelicals...?

Yes...apparently. I've read most of those Left Behind books, the series the game is supposed to resemble, and nowhere do I remember Christians mowing down nonbelievers in a hail of gunfire. I'm appalled that the authors would allow this. I see their point, but it's not what Jesus would have approved of.

Yeah, I have to agree with the badly-written part. As for 'bigoted'...they're Christian books. Who are they discriminating against? Just because a book considers only one view point, does not make it bigotry.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:18 am

"Enemy units feature college-trained secularists, devils, and foul-mouthed rock stars with their electric twangers." LOL...'college trained secularists'
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:44 am

Lol. Gamespot has a pretty humorous review...

Gamespot wrote:...the artificial intelligence isn't as committed to Christ as you might expect.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm thinking GameRevolution.com didn't care for this game....

GameRevolution.com wrote:Although it doesn’t directly mirror the events in the books, many of the heroes from the novels appear in the game. These members of the Tribulation Force seek to convert both “neutrals” and the followers of the evil Global Community Peacekeepers. Wait a second, the evil side is called the Global Community Peacekeepers? Yep, and while they do include criminals and “pretenders”, their followers also include builders, nurses, doctors, and musicians. Remember, they’re folks just like you and me, they just haven’t been saved. They might even be Jewish.

While bullets do fly, more important is “spirit” - the saved have it, everyone else doesn’t. As your units pray and sing, glowy spirit balls fly around between them. The evil rock musicians and nurses can counter with their own glowy balls of, uh, anti-spirit I guess, by playing the guitar or swearing (although you never actually hear any bad words). According to the game, every time you swear, a Christian loses faith. Two down!

..you’ll find yourself playing the same maps over and over, preaching on the same corners, buying the exact same buildings and turning them into banks and churches and hospitals all over again. It’s like the movie Groundhog Day, but Punxsutawney Phil is played by Jesus.

The real problem is that the game is frustratingly hard. Even your hero units, when confronted with a couple swear words or a wicked guitar lick start to question their faith like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis.

To add insult to injury, in between every level of you preaching and praying at sinners, the game turns around and preaches at you with its "Get Found" clues. These pages play Christian rock (with a convenient "Buy" button of course), while trying to convert you with dubious “facts” about evolution, Christianity, and the Bible. You’d think that a game based on the Bible wouldn’t have to add more Jesus commercials in the middle. Buy now or burn forever!

While it could have been an interesting premise for a game, Left Behind: Eternal Forces is little more than a not-so-special message from Jesus Christ. Its few bright spots just can’t save this sinner. Speaking of which, I’m sure there are a few of you out there praying for me right now. You don’t think I’m prepared for the second coming of Christ, but I am. You see, I’ve got a nail gun.

F
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree with the badly-written part. As for 'bigoted'...they're Christian books. Who are they discriminating against? Just because a book considers only one view point, does not make it bigotry.

Catholics, for starters?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk