Death to the Infidels! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Death to the Infidels!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Death to the Infidels!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:43 pm

No, that's not an Osama Bin Laden quote...

Convert or die -- critics say that's the message of a new computer game that has a distinctly Christian message.

The game is called "Left Behind," and a representative of the company that is making it said they are simply trying to spread Christianity to a new generation. But critics said the game is actually spreading intolerance of other faiths.

When you start it up, "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" looks very much like other computer games, with multiple views of an urban landscape. But unlike most games, it is designed around the idea of spreading Christianity.
Click here to find out more!

"It's an honest attempt by us to make a difference in the world by creating a product that has positive moral values," said Troy Lyndon of Left Behind Games, Inc.

The object of the game is to convert as many people as possible to Christianity. Players earn points by saving souls. If a player can't convert someone, they can shoot and kill them. But if they opt for bloodshed, they lose points.

"There's nothing with regard to the message that's negative in any way, nothing that's against Jews, Hindus Muslims," Lyndon said.

But the game is drawing criticism from critics. Daniel Gardenswartz of the Anti-Defamation League in San Diego said the game also delivers a not-so-subtle message of intolerance.

"I am appalled and disgusted by the kind of message that it tries to thrust upon people of all faiths, that unless you are a believer of one faith, then you are suitable for death," Gardenswartz told NBC 7/39.

Some Christian groups have also criticized the game for its violence.

But Lyndon said that the game is not about violence at all.

"The reality of how the game works is your goal is to win by collecting all these clues, and you can actually win the game without firing a shot," he said.

Wal-Mart is one of the retailers selling the game. Company officials told NBC 7/39 they do not plan to remove the game from store shelves.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Yea i saw this and posted it over in the light side, created a huge debate. Pretty crazy game IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Death to the Infidels!

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Coppermine wrote:If a player can't convert someone, they can shoot and kill them. But if they opt for bloodshed, they lose points.

:-t That is terrible.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:23 pm

I posted this over in the VIDEO GAMES FORUM!!

Like 2 weeks ago Titled "Worse Game Ever"

Here's the most important thing. Not only is the game offensive its got horrible ratings for being a big suck fest.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/lef ... t%20behind

From Gamespot review
Another good thing about the Rapture is that it will take you away from disastrous, buggy games like Left Behind: Eternal Forces.

The funny thing is the online multi player lets you play as a Heathen!!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 pm

acsguitar wrote:I posted this over in the VIDEO GAMES FORUM!!

Here's the most important thing. Not only is the game offensive its got horrible ratings for being a big suck fest.

From Gamespot review
Another good thing about the Rapture is that it will take you away from disastrous, buggy games like Left Behind: Eternal Forces.

Duh. Just like music, all the best video games are affiliated with Satan.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 pm

ironman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I posted this over in the VIDEO GAMES FORUM!!

From Gamespot review

Duh. Just like music, all the best video games are affiliated with Satan.

Yea thats pretty much a fact ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Too bad no one reads the Video Game forums, despite your endorsement ACS :-b

I think the game is worth debating, if we can even find someone who supports it. After all, the target demographic for the game likely aren't people who read GameSpot reviews. The defense that "it's not as violent as most games" doesn't quite hold up in my opinion, as killing those non-believers would actually, presumably mean killing Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Shaolin Monks, the Dalai Llama, Ninjas, Stephen Hawking, Pauly Shore (hopefully), Jedi Knights and maybe even a few Catholics and Presbyterians. I suppose it's open to interpretation, but what kind of message is this really sending?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Coppermine wrote:Too bad no one reads the Video Game forums, despite your endorsement ACS :-b

I think the game is worth debating, if we can even find someone who supports it. After all, the target demographic for the game likely aren't people who read GameSpot reviews. The defense that "it's not as violent as most games" doesn't quite hold up in my opinion, as killing those non-believers would actually, presumably mean killing Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Shaolin Monks, the Dalai Llama, Ninjas, Stephen Hawking, Pauly Shore (hopefully), Jedi Knights and maybe even a few Catholics and Presbyterians. I suppose it's open to interpretation, but what kind of message is this really sending?

AND you can be the evil people in multiplayer which is hilarious.

I hope some modders mod this into some twisted awesomness...Maybee i'll download it and report back how awful it is

Sweet I found it on newgroups..its funny that people put it up there as its stealing and you will obviously burn in hell if you don't buy this game and are buying it cause you are a christian gamer
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Callahan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:36 pm

So does this mean it's finally okay to produce a game where you can shoot evangelicals...?
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:50 am

Callahan wrote:So does this mean it's finally okay to produce a game where you can shoot evangelicals...?

Yes...apparently. I've read most of those Left Behind books, the series the game is supposed to resemble, and nowhere do I remember Christians mowing down nonbelievers in a hail of gunfire. I'm appalled that the authors would allow this. I see their point, but it's not what Jesus would have approved of.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk