Why I Recently Started Liking me Job FREE STUFF!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Why I Recently Started Liking me Job FREE STUFF!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Last I checked, that hasn't been preached in quite some time....

:-?

And this... :-? ... Are you suggesting that this gets taught anymore? Seriously. Do you have a television? Any public schools in your area? Abstinence might as well be a 4-letter word in most households.... :-[

Well no, the :-? was just because I was confused with what you meant to be sarcasm and what wasn't... it's tough online sometimes :*)

I don't know, my only point is that the abstinence-only bit doesn't really do any good; and neither does the take responsibility for your actions bit either.

Last I read though, teenage sex, pregnancies, drug use and violence are all at a 10 year low. Maybe the world isn't as liberal and evil as some proclaim it to be...

There are a lot of four-letter words in households today; abstinence is far from the worst of them.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:38 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Last I checked, that hasn't been preached in quite some time....

And this... :-? ... Are you suggesting that this gets taught anymore? Seriously. Do you have a television? Any public schools in your area? Abstinence might as well be a 4-letter word in most households.... :-[

Well, the public high school I work at, in the Health program, has strayed completely from the 'preaching' method. I've sat in on a few of the phys. ed/health department meeting as a coach, and it's definitely something they try to avoid, or to even come across as. They are big on educating the children about the possible outcomes of wreckless and/or unprotected sex, while reinforcing abstinence as the only true failsafe in the process. As I mentioned, I'm not really in the front lines here; but this is what I've seen in my experiences at a public high school in the last 2 years.

And I certainly respect you as an educator bigh0rt. I'm glad that's the stance you've witnessed them take. Some of the other things I have heard, both first hand and otherwise, have been contrary to your experience. This view, and many others, is why my son is not enrolled in a public school. I have a friend who teaches in a public school here in Omaha, yet has his son enrolled in the same private school my son attends. I do not fault the teachers. As much as the students are deprived of education at some public schools, so are the teachers deprived of the tools and freedom to teach as they please. If parents have no other choice but to enroll their child in public school, I encourage them to become, and remain, heavily involved in their child's education, both directly and otherwise.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:51 am

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Well no, the :-? was just because I was confused with what you meant to be sarcasm and what wasn't... it's tough online sometimes :*)

I don't know, my only point is that the abstinence-only bit doesn't really do any good; and neither does the take responsibility for your actions bit either.

So what are we teaching our kids then? Don't worry about consequences because you don't have to be responsible for anything? Responsibilities aren't important anymore because you can just kill whatever the outcome is or sue the hell out of anyone who pisses you off? Sorry, Copper, I respect your research and well-thought out responses in most cases, but this one I just don't understand at all.

Coppermine wrote:Last I read though, teenage sex, pregnancies, drug use and violence are all at a 10 year low. Maybe the world isn't as liberal and evil as some proclaim it to be...

I don't know statistics, I just know what I believe. You can throw at me every number regarding this and it's not going to make me say "Ok, I'm fine with that now.".

Coppermine wrote:There are a lot of four-letter words in households today; abstinence is far from the worst of them.

I was intentionally pointing out the acceptability (if that's a word) of sex in the American household nowadays. Between all the stupid teen movies, all the whorific pop songs, all the sleazy sitcoms, where's a kid going to get the other perspective. The one that suggests: You don't have to sleep with Copper, just because Fox says it's cool.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:12 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

So what are we teaching our kids then? Don't worry about consequences because you don't have to be responsible for anything? Responsibilities aren't important anymore because you can just kill whatever the outcome is or sue the hell out of anyone who pisses you off? Sorry, Copper, I respect your research and well-thought out responses in most cases, but this one I just don't understand at all.

Coppermine wrote:Last I read though, teenage sex, pregnancies, drug use and violence are all at a 10 year low. Maybe the world isn't as liberal and evil as some proclaim it to be...

I don't know statistics, I just know what I believe. You can throw at me every number regarding this and it's not going to make me say "Ok, I'm fine with that now.".

Coppermine wrote:There are a lot of four-letter words in households today; abstinence is far from the worst of them.

I was intentionally pointing out the acceptability (if that's a word) of sex in the American household nowadays. Between all the stupid teen movies, all the whorific pop songs, all the sleazy sitcoms, where's a kid going to get the other perspective. The one that suggests: You don't have to sleep with Copper, just because Fox says it's cool.

In response to everything, basically I marginalized the first portion of my response here. Abstinence only/taking responsibility... I don't think it's a matter of either failing or succeeding. I also hate the "blame the media argument."

I don't know, I do believe the statistics that teen sex and pregnancies are down and I think that it's because teens are more aware of the consequences of their actions. Saying "just don't have sex" doesn't really drive the message home, and there are plenty of minister's daughters out there shacking up with the high school quarterback as there are daughters with dead beat dads.

I mean, please don't even suggest that I would condone the notion of "because you can just kill whatever the outcome is or sue the hell out of anyone who pisses you off?" Surprisingly, I think you might find liberal households who talk openly with their kids about sex may have them less likely to go sleeping around that those kids told "don't have sex or you'll die." Or worse, the kids whose parents don't even talk to them at all.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:29 am

Coppermine wrote:Surprisingly, I think you might find liberal households who talk openly with their kids about sex may have them less likely to go sleeping around that those kids told "don't have sex or you'll die." Or worse, the kids whose parents don't even talk to them at all.

I think we've both gotten to points of exaggeration now so I'll probably just drop it now. I will comment on the media mention, however. If you'll notice, I stressed the parents' responsibilities earlier and that's the most important thing. However, the media has definitely made that job more difficult.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:07 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Surprisingly, I think you might find liberal households who talk openly with their kids about sex may have them less likely to go sleeping around that those kids told "don't have sex or you'll die." Or worse, the kids whose parents don't even talk to them at all.

I think we've both gotten to points of exaggeration now so I'll probably just drop it now. I will comment on the media mention, however. If you'll notice, I stressed the parents' responsibilities earlier and that's the most important thing. However, the media has definitely made that job more difficult.

I'll agree with those points and drop as well since this discussion now has little to do with free stuff ACS is getting at work. The best I can do is try to prevent my daughter, if I have one, from getting knocked up before she's married :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:15 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

at least in the south ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:51 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:That's pretty awesome acs. I get free stuff with my job all the time. I'm paid to show customers a good time most of the time. Basically I get to paid to eat, hunt, golf, and go to sporting events (like the Huskers ;-D ). :-D

Like the Huskers? What else is there in Nebraska? Do they have a NASCAR event?
Last edited by BritSox on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:53 am

BritSox wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:That's pretty awesome acs. I get free stuff with my job all the time. I'm paid to show customers a good time most of the time. Basically I get to paid to eat, hunt, golf, and go to sporting events (like the Huskers ;-D ). :-D

Well, I think "huskers" sums it up... there are multitudes of corn-huskers and corn-husking related activities :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 am

BritSox wrote:

I've never been able to get into the car racing stuff, but there's a lot of hockey games that we get to go to....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk