Rays Ink Aki - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays Ink Aki

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rays Ink Aki

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:19 pm

Devil Rays signed infielder Akinori Iwamura to a three-year, $7.7 million contract.

Iwamura will make $1.8 million in 2007, $2.4 million in 2008 and $3.25 million in 2009. The club has a $4.25 million option for 2010 with a $250,000 buyout. Once the deal ends, Iwamura is expected to become a free agent, even though he won't have the requisite six years of service time. Iwamura is likely to play third base for the Rays. His power probably isn't going to translate so well to the U.S., so he might be below average offensively. However, he could make up for it with his glove. A switch to second base is a possibility later, especially if Evan Longoria gets off to a fast start in the minors. Dec. 15 - 2:59 pm et

All i can say is about time. This guy has a cannon and plays great D. That means BJ is out at 3rd, so we will see what happens with BJ and Rocco. Way to go DRO.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:16 pm

thats a pretty cheap deal, what kind of numbers did he put up in japan.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Good stuff anything beats BJ's D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:27 pm

Glad another Japanese player joined the AL East :-)

I can say that Iwamura is one the best fielding 3B I've watched in Japan. (6 GGs)

He strikes out a lot, but has good power, and has decent speed.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:27 pm

http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/en/p ... id=iwamura

his stats in japan look pretty solid. i'm not really sure what it's worth over here though.
i'd probably compare him to iguchi.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:31 pm

From what i ahve read and heard most believe hos power will not translate as well, kinda like Matsui. His defense is unbelievable, his nickname was "Top Gun" for his cannon of an arm. Def a huge upgrade over BJ at 3rd. He said he wanted to break the japanese HR record of 18 so he is looking to hit it out. He is a career .300 hitter so although he K's he is still getting on. Very happy with this glad the Rays spent some money. It is a bit cheap but Friedman said that they added in the 5 million post fee they paid in determining what he was worth.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:33 pm

This is a pretty nice signing by the Rays. He will probably end up being a steal at that posting fee price and that contract.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Cheap player + D-Rays = good fit, lol. Might be a solid addition hard to say, not much invested dollarswise so worth a shot. Upton is not an IF.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:48 pm

I hope he works out. Sounds like a great utility player that defensively can excel at several positions, so that extra depth he adds definitely gives us some options with moving some young bats. We can move him to 2nd if Longoria has a good year this year in the minors. Hopefully this is the first smart signing in the Devil Rays franchise history. :-°
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:50 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I hope he works out. Sounds like a great utility player that defensively can excel at several positions, so that extra depth he adds definitely gives us some options with moving some young bats. We can move him to 2nd if Longoria has a good year this year in the minors. Hopefully this is the first smart signing in the Devil Rays franchise history. :-°

Also Reid and Longoira both can play SS, 3B, and 2B. So we could eventually have an IF of Aki, Longoira, Brignac and Cantu at 1st
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers