Anyone gone to grad school? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone gone to grad school?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:21 pm

After a long career in manufacturing the plant closed. :-/

I went back to school and am wrapping up a BS in Planning in 2 weeks. After a year off I will pursue an MS degree in Environmental Science. Can't wait.

I am looking at job postings in the field I chose and that Masters degree translates to nice positions and sweet money.

Go for it!
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 pm

actually, given how your actuarial background has direct applications to insurance, you may be abel to lever those skills into developing trading models for funds based on credit default swaps (CDS). This area of finance is growing a ton and is still very young. contracts have only become standardized this year.

some other stuff you may want to look at:

http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/14697688.asp
http://www.wilmott.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_mathematics
http://business.rutgers.edu/default.aspx?id=341
http://www.ederman.com/new/index.html

$!$!$ http://www.quantfinancejobs.com/ $!$!$
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Anyone gone to grad school?

Postby Phatferd » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I'm starting to consider going back to school to get my PhD (in some Math or Stats field) and am wondering if anyone has done it. Or tried to do it. Or considered it and didn't do it, but has ideas about it.

I've been reading a bunch about it online, but personal experiences would be great as well. ;-D

what would you do with the PhD? what doors would it open that you find closed right now?

I'm just not sure that what I'm doing is the right thing for me. The hours are nuts and the stress levels are off the charts. I enjoy the work and the people, I just don't know that I want to do the consulting gig forever. I could do similar work for an insurance company, but the word is it's monotonous and boring. Nine to five sounds ok now, but how long until I'd get tired of a boring job?

My old profs always thought a PhD was something I should consider, with the idea that I'd become a prof myself. And the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued... That's all. :-)

ever consider quantitative finance? would mostly have trading applications.

I have not. Is it risk/reward type stuff as it relates to the world of stocks? :-?

The other thing we're looking at is maybe trying to get out of a major city. There are cool things about Phoenix, but the highest crime rate in the nation is not. We're also too far from family, so getting a break from the kids isn't easy. We'd like to find some place where things are a little slower to raise the girls.

Ideally, if we were stay in a major city, Portland, Oregon would probably be our first choice. Seattle would really be the only other option. However, I could go to Oregon State to get my PhD, and then go wherever to teach college kids. I keep getting older, they stay the same age. :-D

Dr. Pimp. I like it. B-)

I actually just moved out of Phoenix today. Came back home to Orange. Wasn't the biggest fan of Phoenix. Scottsdale is cool and parts of Tempe, but I don't think they try to make Phoenix look nice. Plus all of the construction for the monorail didn't help.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Anyone gone to grad school?

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:39 pm

Phatferd wrote:I actually just moved out of Phoenix today. Came back home to Orange. Wasn't the biggest fan of Phoenix. Scottsdale is cool and parts of Tempe, but I don't think they try to make Phoenix look nice. Plus all of the construction for the monorail didn't help.

did Phoenix not learn from North Haverbrook?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby decoy562 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:58 pm

I'm currently working on my MBA to compliment my BS in Industrial Engineering. I like school...I may get my Ph.D someday too and be a professor. ;-D

-Chris
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:02 pm

I spent an extra year getting a BCL and it isn't worth the paper it's written on. All it did was put me further in the hole with student loans and confirm that I hate school. Some people like school but I'm not one of them.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:18 pm

yeah, im heading to grad school next year myself, probably in broadcast journalism. i dont really know what to expect, but i also know i need to get some experience in the field and the low level jobs stink ;-7

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:49 pm

I've thought about going back and getting my masters but I can't stand school. Plus I'm learning that most employers mainly want alot of experience in the field more than alot of degrees.

I've currently got a BS in Computer Information Systems and would love to be doing something else! }:-) :-[

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby decoy562 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 pm

J35J wrote:I've thought about going back and getting my masters but I can't stand school. Plus I'm learning that most employers mainly want alot of experience in the field more than alot of degrees.

I've currently got a BS in Computer Information Systems and would love to be doing something else! }:-) :-[

Jason

How about an MBA? It's not too hard, and you can get a management job in any field just about...

-Chris
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to General Talk