Anyone gone to grad school? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone gone to grad school?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone gone to grad school?

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:59 pm

I'm starting to consider going back to school to get my PhD (in some Math or Stats field) and am wondering if anyone has done it. Or tried to do it. Or considered it and didn't do it, but has ideas about it.

I've been reading a bunch about it online, but personal experiences would be great as well. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:00 pm

My Girlfriend is getting her masters now after taking 2 years off.

She loves it ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Anyone gone to grad school?

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I'm starting to consider going back to school to get my PhD (in some Math or Stats field) and am wondering if anyone has done it. Or tried to do it. Or considered it and didn't do it, but has ideas about it.

I've been reading a bunch about it online, but personal experiences would be great as well. ;-D

what would you do with the PhD? what doors would it open that you find closed right now?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Im in law school getting my JD, thats a grad school right? :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Hmm.. we'd have to start calling you Dr. Pimp :-o :-D

I finished up my Master's recently. I love having it, but so far I've found that employers are much more interested in your portfolio and what you've accomplished than what degrees you hold.

I say go for it, BP. If nothing else you can always get a job as a college professor. I'm thinking of a career path like that myself. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:20 pm

Simulacrum wrote:I finished up my Master's recently. I love having it, but so far I've found that employers are much more interested in your portfolio and what you've accomplished than what degrees you hold.

Agreed. I've known a few friends from college who jumped into grad school the ensuing year (including myself) even when most professors would advise to work for a few years and then return to school. That sort of dilutes the quality of the Master's pool, especially in the MBA arena, just because employers are asking for a boatload of experience on the side, especially if these are high-impact work projects.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 616)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I'm starting to consider going back to school to get my PhD (in some Math or Stats field) and am wondering if anyone has done it. Or tried to do it. Or considered it and didn't do it, but has ideas about it.

what would you do with the PhD? what doors would it open that you find closed right now?

I'm just not sure that what I'm doing is the right thing for me. The hours are nuts and the stress levels are off the charts. I enjoy the work and the people, I just don't know that I want to do the consulting gig forever. I could do similar work for an insurance company, but the word is it's monotonous and boring. Nine to five sounds ok now, but how long until I'd get tired of a boring job?

My old profs always thought a PhD was something I should consider, with the idea that I'd become a prof myself. And the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued... That's all. :-)
Last edited by Big Pimpin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:19 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

I'm just not sure that what I'm doing is the right thing for me. The hours are nuts and the stress levels are off the charts. I enjoy the work and the people, I just don't know that I want to do the consulting gig forever. I could do similar work for an insurance company, but the word is it's monotonous and boring. Nine to five sounds ok now, but how long until I'd get tired of a boring job?

My old profs always thought a PhD was something I should consider, with the idea that I'd become a prof myself. And the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued... That's all. :-)

ever consider quantitative finance? would mostly have trading applications.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:45 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

I have not. Is it risk/reward type stuff as it relates to the world of stocks? :-?

The other thing we're looking at is maybe trying to get out of a major city. There are cool things about Phoenix, but the highest crime rate in the nation is not. We're also too far from family, so getting a break from the kids isn't easy. We'd like to find some place where things are a little slower to raise the girls.

Ideally, if we were stay in a major city, Portland, Oregon would probably be our first choice. Seattle would really be the only other option. However, I could go to Oregon State to get my PhD, and then go wherever to teach college kids. I keep getting older, they stay the same age. :-D

Dr. Pimp. I like it. B-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:14 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

I have not. Is it risk/reward type stuff as it relates to the world of stocks? :-?

The other thing we're looking at is maybe trying to get out of a major city. There are cool things about Phoenix, but the highest crime rate in the nation is not. We're also too far from family, so getting a break from the kids isn't easy. We'd like to find some place where things are a little slower to raise the girls.

Ideally, if we were stay in a major city, Portland, Oregon would probably be our first choice. Seattle would really be the only other option. However, I could go to Oregon State to get my PhD, and then go wherever to teach college kids. I keep getting older, they stay the same age. :-D

Dr. Pimp. I like it. B-)

quantitative trading models can be applied to almost any type of security. Hedge funds are everywhere, so you wouldn't have to necessarily be in Chicago, NYC, SF, or Greenwich to work. I'm not a quant myself, but the basic idea is that people are always building trading logarithms to identify and sometimes automatically take advantage of small pricing inefficiencies as they arise. Tons of applications. I don't have a ready reference to point you to, but I'm sure a little digging will get you plenty of basic info. when i get some time i'll try to pull some stuff up for you.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk