Red Sox get Donnelly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox get Donnelly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pjalst » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Great pick up by the Sox, Now it will keep them in first place until late August instead of early August. :-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:22 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
About the Mike Gonzalez trade - I wonder if the Braves would accept Wily Mo Pena and perhaps the Sox can get in on this trade instead of the Yanks.

There are a couple of options avaiable by trade if the red sox want to trade for a closer. Cordero, Gonzalez, Linebrink, and Otsuka. Hopefully Personally i would rather move Coco play wily mo in center for a short period and bring up Jacoby Ellsbury part way through the year.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:01 am

thedude wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
About the Mike Gonzalez trade - I wonder if the Braves would accept Wily Mo Pena and perhaps the Sox can get in on this trade instead of the Yanks.

There are a couple of options avaiable by trade if the red sox want to trade for a closer. Cordero, Gonzalez, Linebrink, and Otsuka. Hopefully Personally i would rather move Coco play wily mo in center for a short period and bring up Jacoby Ellsbury part way through the year.

Have you seen Wily Mo play defense? I would rather have Wily in right and Drew in center than vice versa.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:38 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
thedude wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Have you seen Wily Mo play defense? I would rather have Wily in right and Drew in center than vice versa.

I have seen him play defense in both center and right. Almost all of his shaky defensive plays cam playing the tricky right of Fenway. Some guys are just better in center than they are in they are right/left; the angle helps them get bettwe jumps on balls. The Red Sox have often, over the years, played their best defensive outfielder in right instead of center, going all the way back to Harry Hooper. Dwight Evans, for much of his career, was a better outfielder than the guy playing center. Trot Nixon was a better defensive outfiedler than Carl Everett.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:21 pm

BritSox wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I don't exactly see how this is such a great pickup for the Sox. Donnelly's alright, but he's 35 and regressing. Seibel, on the other hand, pitched 80 innings in the minors last season giving up just 42 hits, 15 walks, and 11 earned runs, giving him an ERA of 1.24 and WHIP of 0.71 while striking out 83. And those numbers were from his first season back from Tommy John.

I don't care that he's already 27 -- Donnelly made his debut at age 31 -- I actually think the Angels get the better end of this deal, especially when you factor in Donnelly's loss of velocity.

He's a 28yo injury prone relief prospect who started 06 in A Ball. Not saying he'll never make an MLB roster, but he's the kind of commodity that's ten a penny in half decent minor league systems. We've got five or six minor leaguers competing for the last bullpen spot already, and none of them are Seibel.

For the Angels, I think it's just a salary dump. $2m is a fair bit to spend on a sixth-inning guy.

You can go ahead and call him injury prone due to one arm injury, but he has a better track record at this stage in his career than Donnelly did at the same age.

In fact, $10 says Seibel has a more productive career from here on out than Donnelly does.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:12 pm

davidmarver wrote:You can go ahead and call him injury prone due to one arm injury, but he has a better track record at this stage in his career than Donnelly did at the same age.

In fact, $10 says Seibel has a more productive career from here on out than Donnelly does.

Heh. How quickly a change of uniform changes our perspective. ;-7

Maybe Seibel will have a better career from here on out. But I'm guessing if someone had posted this trade as a rumor a week ago, DM's reaction would have been the same one I have right now, "Seibel who?"
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:04 pm

davidmarver wrote:
BritSox wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I don't exactly see how this is such a great pickup for the Sox. Donnelly's alright, but he's 35 and regressing. Seibel, on the other hand, pitched 80 innings in the minors last season giving up just 42 hits, 15 walks, and 11 earned runs, giving him an ERA of 1.24 and WHIP of 0.71 while striking out 83. And those numbers were from his first season back from Tommy John.

I don't care that he's already 27 -- Donnelly made his debut at age 31 -- I actually think the Angels get the better end of this deal, especially when you factor in Donnelly's loss of velocity.

He's a 28yo injury prone relief prospect who started 06 in A Ball. Not saying he'll never make an MLB roster, but he's the kind of commodity that's ten a penny in half decent minor league systems. We've got five or six minor leaguers competing for the last bullpen spot already, and none of them are Seibel.

For the Angels, I think it's just a salary dump. $2m is a fair bit to spend on a sixth-inning guy.

You can go ahead and call him injury prone due to one arm injury, but he has a better track record at this stage in his career than Donnelly did at the same age.

You're are probably right to say that Seibel has the better chance of becoming more than a mediocre middle reliever than Donnelly, but chances of Seibel helping the Red Sox this year is lower than chances of Donnelly helping the Red Sox.

Also, I think you're putting way too much stock in his 06 numbers
His career miL numbers are very mediocre.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
BritSox wrote:

You're are probably right to say that Seibel has the better chance of becoming more than a mediocre middle reliever than Donnelly, but chances of Seibel helping the Red Sox this year is lower than chances of Donnelly helping the Red Sox.

Also, I think you're putting way too much stock in his 06 numbers
His career miL numbers are very mediocre.

As far as unproven minor league pitchers go, Seibal is maybe the tenth best the red sox controled. Buchholz and Bowden are without a douby better. Cox has much better stuff and closer upside. Edgar Martinez has a better arm. Justin Masterson has much more upside. Daniel Bard has some of the best stuff in minor league baseball. Caleb Clay is a promising high school arm. Josh Papelbon has a good pedigree and showed some good stuff at single A. Mike Rozier is still young and was considered to have first round talent when he was drafted. Devern Hansack throw a no hitter in the red sox last game, so he has shown he can get major leaguers out.

Seibel might have a better career than Donnelly, but Donnelly is more likely to help the red sox in 2007.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers