Red Sox get Donnelly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox get Donnelly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 pm

The Tigers recently signed Mesa a former closer. Zumaya is said to be the closer next year when Todd Jones contract will be done. Maybe they trade Jones for another hitter and put Mesa in as the closer and slowly insert Zumaya so he can take over next year. Todd Jones to Boston maybe for Ellsbury?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 266)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Morrison8312 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:07 pm

Surfs up wrote:The Tigers recently signed Mesa a former closer. Zumaya is said to be the closer next year when Todd Jones contract will be done. Maybe they trade Jones for another hitter and put Mesa in as the closer and slowly insert Zumaya so he can take over next year. Todd Jones to Boston maybe for Ellsbury?

Why would they trade for Ellsbury when they have Maybin taking over in CF? :-?
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:43 am

davidmarver wrote:I don't exactly see how this is such a great pickup for the Sox. Donnelly's alright, but he's 35 and regressing. Seibel, on the other hand, pitched 80 innings in the minors last season giving up just 42 hits, 15 walks, and 11 earned runs, giving him an ERA of 1.24 and WHIP of 0.71 while striking out 83. And those numbers were from his first season back from Tommy John.

I don't care that he's already 27 -- Donnelly made his debut at age 31 -- I actually think the Angels get the better end of this deal, especially when you factor in Donnelly's loss of velocity.

He's a 28yo injury prone relief prospect who started 06 in A Ball. Not saying he'll never make an MLB roster, but he's the kind of commodity that's ten a penny in half decent minor league systems. We've got five or six minor leaguers competing for the last bullpen spot already, and none of them are Seibel.

For the Angels, I think it's just a salary dump. $2m is a fair bit to spend on a sixth-inning guy.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:19 am

I only say Ellsburg because the Red Sox minor system is weak. Plus lots of players make moves from where they played in the minors when the get to the majors. Depending on needs.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:15 am

Great trade and signing by the Sox. I was hoping that it would be the Yankees that signed Romero. The Sox now have two excellent set-up men. Still need a closer, unless Hansen is going to assume that role next year. The Mike Gonzalez trade war should be interesting.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 am

Looks like the Braves, Pirates and Yankkes are close to a deal that invovles Melky Cabrera , LaRouche and Gonzalez. Yankkes getting Gonzalez.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soxfan364 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:38 am

I like this move, but disappointed to hear about Donnelly's loss of velocity....thought he was a closer candidate, and still may be if the Sox don't pick up someone else.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Surfs up wrote:I only say Ellsburg because the Red Sox minor system is weak. Plus lots of players make moves from where they played in the minors when the get to the majors. Depending on needs.

First of the red sox wouldn't trade Ellsbury for a washed up closer, who torched during his breif stint in boston. Second the Red Sox farm system is actually stronger than the most farm systems after amazing drafts in 2005 and 2006.

Looks like the Braves, Pirates and Yankkes are close to a deal that invovles Melky Cabrera , LaRouche and Gonzalez. Yankkes getting Gonzalez.

:-t The Yankees trade a fringy outfeilder for a proven closer.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:26 pm

thedude wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I only say Ellsburg because the Red Sox minor system is weak. Plus lots of players make moves from where they played in the minors when the get to the majors. Depending on needs.

First of the red sox wouldn't trade Ellsbury for a washed up closer, who torched during his breif stint in boston. Second the Red Sox farm system is actually stronger than the most farm systems after amazing drafts in 2005 and 2006.

:-t The Yankees trade a fringy outfeilder for a proven closer.

Yes I could be wrong but I believe the Sox system is ranked in the top 10 after they had the #1 ranked 06 Draft according to BA ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:27 pm

As mentioned before, the Sox system is far from weak. They have some decent pitching prospects coming up relatively soon who should have an impact.

Donnelly should have a decent season and just about any arm is better than what we had last year. Still need to add another arm and a closer.

Hansen
Delcarmen
Romero
Donnelly
Tavarez
Timlin
Clement in second half? Lester? Wakefield?
Closer (Otsuka?)

Not that bad of a bullpen.

About the Mike Gonzalez trade - I wonder if the Braves would accept Wily Mo Pena and perhaps the Sox can get in on this trade instead of the Yanks.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers