HSA flex accounts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HSA flex accounts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HSA flex accounts

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:28 am

so anybody else fail to use a substantial portion of the tax-free money set aside in their flex account for their health benefits plan? I am buying lage quantities of condoms and Pedialyte, which qulaifies as a healthcare expense as opposed to Gatorade which doesen't. Not that Pedialyte is bad, just a bit too syrupy for my tastes, but they serve the same realative purpose right? If athletic tape qualifies, why not Gatorade? I have clearly been drinking and am now semi-bitter about pounding Pedialyte instead of Gatorade before I go to bed.

can't wait for work in the morning. damn stupid fun IB holiday parties mid-week!
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:05 am

We don't have a flex plan. Then again we don't have direct deposit either. Apparently I work in 1964.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Re: HSA flex accounts

Postby mak1277 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:27 am

RugbyD wrote:so anybody else fail to use a substantial portion of the tax-free money set aside in their flex account for their health benefits plan? I am buying lage quantities of condoms and Pedialyte, which qulaifies as a healthcare expense as opposed to Gatorade which doesen't. Not that Pedialyte is bad, just a bit too syrupy for my tastes, but they serve the same realative purpose right? If athletic tape qualifies, why not Gatorade? I have clearly been drinking and am now semi-bitter about pounding Pedialyte instead of Gatorade before I go to bed.

can't wait for work in the morning. damn stupid fun IB holiday parties mid-week!

And hopefully now you are seeing the folly of putting this money into a flex. spending plan.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:33 am

mak1277 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:so anybody else fail to use a substantial portion of the tax-free money set aside in their flex account for their health benefits plan? I am buying lage quantities of condoms and Pedialyte, which qulaifies as a healthcare expense as opposed to Gatorade which doesen't. Not that Pedialyte is bad, just a bit too syrupy for my tastes, but they serve the same realative purpose right? If athletic tape qualifies, why not Gatorade? I have clearly been drinking and am now semi-bitter about pounding Pedialyte instead of Gatorade before I go to bed.

And hopefully now you are seeing the folly of putting this money into a flex. spending plan.

Exactly. I can totally understand if you're looking to do a Lasik (sp?) procedure or something like that... But as far as just using it for regular old health care, if you can't roll it over I'd stay far away from an HSA.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:37 am

mak1277 wrote:

yeah, as a healthy 26yr with no dependents and good vision, its more of a hassle than a benefit. if i actually needed to go to the doctor for something it would make more sense, but anything to save on taxes is good. regardless, i'm not re-upping for 2007.

or maybe i just need to have a lot more sex so i can buy a lot more condoms over the course of a year.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 am

I always spend the remainder of my balance on contact lenses.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:48 am

Yeah if you're a healthy single person, I don't see that big of a benefit in doing it. But for someone that has a family and has ongoing medical costs because of a chronic ailment of some sort, it is certainly beneficial.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:52 am

My eye doctor tried to get me to buy those contacts you wear at night and then take out during the day; the $1500 ones that change your vision when you sleep. Then he found out I didn't have an HSA and lost interest.

I guess that's where a lot of optometrists sell the big stuff.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am

If my eyesight ever goes I'm just getting glasses.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:06 pm

I just have normal health insurance at an awesome rate yippee
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero