Ripken to be owner of O's?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ripken to be owner of O's??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ripken to be owner of O's??

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 pm

Rotoworld:

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that Peter Angelos and Cal Ripken Jr. are discussing a gradual transfer of ownership of the Orioles to a group that would include Ripken.
The sooner the better. However, Rosenthal reports the chances of such a sale occurring anytime soon are remote and that the 77-year-old Angelos may decide to leave the club to his sons rather than sell.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Well i am sure Ripken would be more of a figure head/ minority owner. There is no way he has the cash to buy even half of a baseball franchise.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 pm

thedude wrote:Well i am sure Ripken would be more of a figure head/ minority owner. There is no way he has the cash to buy even half of a baseball franchise.

This was my first thought as well. He would make for a great frontman but wouldn't possess much in the way of control/ownership stake.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Callahan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:31 am

I would expect Angelos to give it to his sons. Selling to the Ripken group would be a huge hit with the fans, and if there's anything we should expect from Angelos, it's the dick move.
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:20 am

Callahan wrote:I would expect Angelos to give it to his sons. Selling to the Ripken group would be a huge hit with the fans, and if there's anything we should expect from Angelos, it's the dick move.

Unless Ripken has some interesting pictures and Angelos and his sons.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:48 am

Matthias wrote:
thedude wrote:Well i am sure Ripken would be more of a figure head/ minority owner. There is no way he has the cash to buy even half of a baseball franchise.

This was my first thought as well. He would make for a great frontman but wouldn't possess much in the way of control/ownership stake.
Ownership yes but control could be a different issue. Isn't Lucchino a minority owner in the Red Sox? He seems to a lot of power within the organization.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:40 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Ownership yes but control could be a different issue. Isn't Lucchino a minority owner in the Red Sox? He seems to a lot of power within the organization.

At the grace of John Henry. There's an adage that, in a privately-held firm, 50.1% of ownership is worth everything and 49.9% is worth nothing.

Lucchino's influence stems from his position as club President and CEO. But he could be forced out if the rest of the ownership group decided to get him out. I don't know the ownership structure, if John Henry has controlling interest or merely the largest interest (51% vs say 35%). But being a minority owner means you're basically just there along for the ride.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Matthias wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Matthias wrote:

At the grace of John Henry. There's an adage that, in a privately-held firm, 50.1% of ownership is worth everything and 49.9% is worth nothing.

Lucchino's influence stems from his position as club President and CEO. But he could be forced out if the rest of the ownership group decided to get him out. I don't know the ownership structure, if John Henry has controlling interest or merely the largest interest (51% vs say 35%). But being a minority owner means you're basically just there along for the ride.

Look at How much influence minority ownes like Tom Warner has. He is an owner and gets consulted sometimes, but all of the power lies with John Henry.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm not a fan of CAL. Growing up in the DC area thats all you heard CAL this and CAL that. Then I'd see interviews with him or listen to his show on XM radio and he seems pretty arrogant to me.

But he would be better then Angelos :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers