BMRA-Preliminaries-Nine Inch Nails - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Preliminaries-Nine Inch Nails

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Pretty Hate Machine
26%
The Downward Spiral
74%

Total votes : 19

BMRA-Preliminaries-Nine Inch Nails

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:58 pm

I'll be honestly and say I don't enjoy their(his?) music in general and thus haven't tried to hear a lot of their music. So I'll sit out this one. The debate here is between the Downward Spiral Album and the Pretty Hate Machine Album.

Pretty Hate Machine
Review by Steve Huey

Virtually ignored upon its 1989 release, Pretty Hate Machine gradually became a word-of-mouth cult favorite; despite frequent critical bashings, its stature and historical importance only grew in hindsight. In addition to its stealthy rise to prominence, part of the album's legend was that budding auteur Trent Reznor took advantage of his low-level job at a Cleveland studio to begin recording it. Reznor had a background in synth-pop, and the vast majority of Pretty Hate Machine was electronic. Synths voiced all the main riffs, driven by pounding drum machines; distorted guitars were an important textural element, but not the primary focus. Pretty Hate Machine was something unique in industrial music -- certainly no one else was attempting the balladry of "Something I Can Never Have," but the crucial difference was even simpler. Instead of numbing the listener with mechanical repetition, Pretty Hate Machine's bleak electronics were subordinate to catchy riffs and verse-chorus song structures, which was why it built such a rabid following with so little publicity. That innovation was the most important step in bringing industrial music to a wide audience, as proven by the frequency with which late-'90s alternative metal bands copied NIN's interwoven guitar/synth textures. It was a new soundtrack for adolescent angst -- noisily aggressive and coldly detached, tied together by a dominant personality. Reznor's tortured confusion and self-obsession gave industrial music a human voice, a point of connection. His lyrics were filled with betrayal, whether by lovers, society, or God; it was essentially the sound of childhood illusions shattering, and Reznor was not taking it lying down. Plus, the absolute dichotomies in his world -- there was either purity and perfection, or depravity and worthlessness -- made for smashing melodrama. Perhaps the greatest achievement of Pretty Hate Machine was that it brought emotional extravagance to a genre whose main theme had nearly always been dehumanization.

The Downward Spiral
Review by Steve Huey

The Downward Spiral positioned Trent Reznor as industrial's own Phil Spector, painting detailed, layered soundscapes from a wide tonal palette. Not only did he fully integrated the crashing metal guitars of Broken, but several newfound elements -- expanded song structures, odd time signatures, shifting arrangements filled with novel sounds, tremendous textural variety -- can be traced to the influence of progressive rock. So can the painstaking attention devoted to pacing and contrast -- The Downward Spiral is full of striking sonic juxtapositions and sudden about-faces in tone, which make for a fascinating listen. More important than craft in turning Reznor into a full-fledged rock star, however, was his brooding persona. Grunge had the mainstream salivating over melodramatic angst, which had always been Reznor's stock in trade. The left-field hit "Closer" made him a postmodern shaman for the '90s, obsessed with exposing the dark side he saw behind even the most innocuous façades. In fact, his theatrics on The Downward Spiral -- all the preening self-absorption and serpentine sexuality -- seemed directly descended from Jim Morrison. Yet Reznor's nihilism often seemed like a reaction against some repressively extreme standard of purity, so the depravity he wallowed in didn't necessarily seem that depraved. That's part of the reason why, in spite of its many virtues, The Downward Spiral falls just short of being the masterpiece it wants to be. For one thing, fascination with texture occasionally dissolves the hooky songwriting that fueled Pretty Hate Machine. But more than that, Reznor's unflinching bleakness was beginning to seem like a carefully calibrated posture; his increasing musical sophistication points up the lyrical holding pattern. Having said that, the album ends on an affecting emotional peak -- "Hurt" mingles drama and introspection in a way Reznor had never quite managed before. It's evidence of depth behind the charisma that deservedly made him a star.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 pm

The Downward Spiral ;-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

The fragile :-D

DS ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 pm

PHM, but i guess i'm in the minority, barring a big 'ACS effect.'
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Callahan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 pm

They should probably both be on there, right...?
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Callahan wrote:They should probably both be on there, right...?

Yeah, they should.

But appearently crap like Barenaked Ladies, Hootie, 311, Matchbox 20, Creed, No Doubt, Bon Jovi and REM all deserve a place.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Callahan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:30 am

ThatDude wrote:

Yeah, they should.

But appearently crap like Barenaked Ladies, Hootie, 311, Matchbox 20, Creed, No Doubt, Bon Jovi and REM all deserve a place.

Hey now, REM is good stuff! ;-D
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 am

Downward Spiral here....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 pm

ThatDude wrote:

Yeah, they should.

Excellent post. ;-D ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:08 pm

I like pretty much all NIN but DS is so demented and sick that I had to vote for it.

Hey what album is SUCK on? That song rules!!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk