Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Vs.
65%
Vitalogy
35%

Total votes : 23

BMRA-Preliminaries-Pearl Jam

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Ten is pretty close to unanimously their best album. But there are questions about their 2nd best album. I preferred Vitalogy while some others preferred Vs. So here's the 1 day poll to decide that.

VS.
Review by Steve Huey

Pearl Jam took to superstardom like deer in headlights. Unsure of how to maintain their rigorous standards of integrity in the face of massive commercial success, the band took refuge in willful obscurity -- the title of their second album, Vs., did not appear anywhere in the packaging, and they refused to release any singles or videos. (Ironically, many fans then paid steep prices for import CD singles, a situation the band eventually rectified.) The eccentricities underline Pearl Jam's almost paranoid aversion to charges of hypocrisy or egotism -- but it also made sense to use the spotlight for progress. You could see that reasoning in their ensuing battle with Ticketmaster, and you could hear it in the record itself. Vs. is often Eddie Vedder at his most strident, both lyrically and vocally. It's less oblique than Ten in its topicality, and sometimes downright dogmatic; having the world's ear renders Vedder unable to resist a few simplistic potshots at favorite white-liberal targets. Yet a little self-righteousness is an acceptable price to pay for the passionate immediacy that permeates Vs. It's a much rawer, looser record than Ten, feeling like a live performance; Vedder practically screams himself hoarse on a few songs. The band consciously strives for spontaneity, admirably pushing itself into new territory -- some numbers are decidedly punky, and there are also a couple of acoustic-driven ballads, which are well suited to Vedder's sonorous low register. Sometimes, that spontaneity comes at the expense of Ten's marvelous craft -- a few songs here are just plain underdeveloped, with supporting frameworks that don't feel very sturdy. But, of everything that does work, the rockers are often frightening in their intensity, and the more reflective songs are mesmerizing. Vs. may not reach the majestic heights of Ten, but at least half the record stands with Pearl Jam's best work.

Vitalogy
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Thanks to its stripped-down, lean production, Vitalogy stands as Pearl Jam's most original and uncompromising album. While it isn't a concept album, Vitalogy sounds like one. Death and despair shroud the album, rendering even the explosive celebration of vinyl "Spin the Black Circle" somewhat muted. But that black cloud works to Pearl Jam's advantage, injecting a nervous tension to brittle rockers like "Last Exit" and "Not for You," and especially introspective ballads like "Corduroy" and "Better Man." In between the straight rock numbers and the searching slow songs, Pearl Jam contribute their strangest music -- the mantrafunk of "Aye Davanita," the sub-Tom Waits accordion romp of "Bugs," and the chilling sonic collage "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me." Pearl Jam are at their best when they're fighting, whether it's Ticketmaster, fame, or their own personal demons.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 pm

The hell with either of these albums.

Put more Metallica in there.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 pm

ThatDude wrote:The hell with either of these albums.

I like Metallica as much as the next guy, but if I put 3 of their album in. Next thing you know, Nirvana has 3, Soundgarden has 3, Stone Temple Pilots has 3. Next thing you know, we are either looking at a 128 albums bracket or all the personal favorites or non-mainstream albums are out. !+)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Both were meh to me.
But I voted for Vs.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:06 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

I like Metallica as much as the next guy, but if I put 3 of their album in. Next thing you know, Nirvana has 3, Soundgarden has 3, Stone Temple Pilots has 3. Next thing you know, we are either looking at a 128 albums bracket or all the personal favorites or non-mainstream albums are out. !+)

I understand where you are coming from, but IMO, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and STP don't have 3 albums worthy of being in the competition, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

If the idea is to get the best 64 modern rock albums in this thing, Justice and Lightning BOTH need to be in this along with Master.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:26 pm

ThatDude wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, but IMO, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and STP don't have 3 albums worthy of being in the competition, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

If the idea is to get the best 64 modern rock albums in this thing, Justice and Lightning BOTH need to be in this along with Master.

Strongly disagree. I mean, we don't have ANY KoRn, and they were the most important metal band of the mid-late 90s.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:28 pm

BritSox wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Strongly disagree. I mean, we don't have ANY KoRn, and they were the most important metal band of the mid-late 90s.

Hold on, we don't?!

I'm going to boot somebody...
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 pm

BritSox wrote:Strongly disagree. I mean, we don't have ANY KoRn, and they were the most important metal band of the mid-late 90s.

I'd consider a lack of Korn to be a good thing.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

ThatDude wrote:
BritSox wrote:Strongly disagree. I mean, we don't have ANY KoRn, and they were the most important metal band of the mid-late 90s.

And I wouldn't. From a historical perspective if nothing else, they were hugely influential. That's why we have the battle, isn't it? You have the option of voting for Metallica throughout. The selection is already (understandably) an old person's thing. Four Metallica albums would be ludicrous, none of the other three of the 'big four of thrash' get a look in.'Reign In Blood' isn't even there (Actually- Sevendust and Slipknot but no slayer?). Even the most vehemently pro-thrash critical list has never had that many of theirs.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby ThatDude » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:43 pm

BritSox wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

And I wouldn't. From a historical perspective if nothing else, they were hugely influential. That's why we have the battle, isn't it?

I thought it was to determine the best album, much like the last one was to determine the best comedy movie.

As far as being influential, Metallica is one of the biggest of all time.

You have the option of voting for Metallica throughout. The selection is already (understandably) an old person's thing. Four Metallica albums would be ludicrous, considering 'Reign In Blood' isn't even there. Even the most vehemently pro-thrash critical list has never had that many of theirs.

I could probably go Googling and find plenty of lists that include the first 4 Metallica albums in their top 64.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk