Metallica
39%
... And Justice for All
27%
Ride the Lightning
33%

Total votes : 33

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:09 am

Madison wrote:Easy way to know if you're a true Metallica fan? What was their first album, Kill 'Em All, originally going to be called? If you know the answer to that without looking it up (and please don't post the answer guys), consider yourself a true Metallica fan. If you don't, well, you may be a fan now, but some of us were fans way, way back. B-)

I don't think that's such a great litmus test though. I must've been a year old when Kill 'Em All was released. So, there are some of us who can't go way, way back, but are serious fans of Metallica anyway, even though I'm a bigger fan of the other three of The Big Four of Thrash.

BTW, ...And Justice For All was released on my birthday. Get that and consider yourself a true Metallica fan. ;-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:28 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:Easy way to know if you're a true Metallica fan? What was their first album, Kill 'Em All, originally going to be called? If you know the answer to that without looking it up (and please don't post the answer guys), consider yourself a true Metallica fan. If you don't, well, you may be a fan now, but some of us were fans way, way back. B-)

I don't think that's such a great litmus test though. I must've been a year old when Kill 'Em All was released. So, there are some of us who can't go way, way back, but are serious fans of Metallica anyway, even though I'm a bigger fan of the other three of The Big Four of Thrash.

BTW, ...And Justice For All was released on my birthday. Get that and consider yourself a true Metallica fan. ;-)

Yep, I know the answer to that one. :-) About 3 months after my birthday.

One year old huh, you're just a kiddo. :-b Just picking on you in good fun. ;-)

True though, there are tons of serious Metallica fans that were born too late to know the answer to the question, or only know it because they heard about it. Some of us old fogeys actually lived through the entire thing. Had the T-Shirts when they first hit the market, went to the original shows, bought the albums the day they were originally released, etc. How would you describe the difference in the two types of fans. Those that went through it "live", and those who studied and learned later. What would you call each group? Personally, I can't put them in the same classification, so help me out here. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:48 am

Madison wrote:True though, there are tons of serious Metallica fans that were born too late to know the answer to the question, or only know it because they heard about it. Some of us old fogeys actually lived through the entire thing. Had the T-Shirts when they first hit the market, went to the original shows, bought the albums the day they were originally released, etc. How would you describe the difference in the two types of fans. Those that went through it "live", and those who studied and learned later. What would you call each group? Personally, I can't put them in the same classification, so help me out here. :-)

I guess I'm of the younger group.

I was 11 when Justice came out, and after wearing that tape out, I got the earlier stuff, and then wore those tapes out.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:58 pm

And Justice for me. ;-D

I remember when I was a kid, my best buddy's older brother put on "One" at top volume, and it blew my mind. Awesome. B-)
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:But I feel the Bass quality is way better in and Justice for all.

Is that sarcasm or a dig at Burton?

We should have just used Puppets and added in Rust in Peace or Countdown to Extinction which were both better albums than Lightning, Justice, and the Black Album.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:03 am

Jeez Madison, how old are you? 75? :-b

I would have voted for AJFA because I listen to that one the most. Damn shame the black album made it in. I'm not a diehard Metallica fan (who is anymore?), but AJFA changed my youth. That album helped get me out of my short-lived rap phase and discover my true love of music - heavy metal! Therefore, it's my favorite Metallica disc by far.
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:41 am

God, this is so criminal that the Black Album made the cut. I'm guessing most of the people voting here are fairly young or just don't enjoy true thrash metal for what it's really worth. Truth be told, if you told me that anyone else had made the Black Album, I'd say it was a great piece of work. The fact that it was a follow up to one of the greatest metal albums ever makes is it a mediocre Metallica album. I don't care what the sales numbers say, Black Album is not Metallica's shining conquest.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:God, this is so criminal that the Black Album made the cut. I'm guessing most of the people voting here are fairly young or just don't enjoy true thrash metal for what it's really worth. Truth be told, if you told me that anyone else had made the Black Album, I'd say it was a great piece of work. The fact that it was a follow up to one of the greatest metal albums ever makes is it a mediocre Metallica album. I don't care what the sales numbers say, Black Album is not Metallica's shining conquest.

There's 2 kinds og good. Good for that genre of music fans and good for the general public. And there's a reason why the Black Album is their most commercially successful CD.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:47 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:God, this is so criminal that the Black Album made the cut. I'm guessing most of the people voting here are fairly young or just don't enjoy true thrash metal for what it's really worth. Truth be told, if you told me that anyone else had made the Black Album, I'd say it was a great piece of work. The fact that it was a follow up to one of the greatest metal albums ever makes is it a mediocre Metallica album. I don't care what the sales numbers say, Black Album is not Metallica's shining conquest.

There's 2 kinds og good. Good for that genre of music fans and good for the general public. And there's a reason why the Black Album is their most commercially successful CD.

Because the mainstream is full of boneheads who live on life support hooked up to the dialysis machine called MTV and can't absorb wonderfully complex thrash metal?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:48 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Because the mainstream is full of boneheads who live on life support hooked up to the dialysis machine called MTV and can't absorb wonderfully complex thrash metal?

The Black album might not be as thrashy as Ride the Lightning or and justice for all. But it's not like it didn't get any critical acclaim, it may not have made metalheads like you too happy that they are so called "commercializing" their music. But it does fits the taste of the general public(non-metalheads, like me) better.

an unrelated question, is it just me or is Ride the Lightning so similar to Master of Puppets?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk