Torre will manage the Yankees next year. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Torre will manage the Yankees next year.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Torre will manage the Yankees next year.

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:31 pm

There has been speculation about Torre getting fired, so here's an article that I found that might help clear it up:

Steinbrenner: Torre will be back next year

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
October 3, 2003
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner insists Joe Torre will be back to manage the team next season, no matter what the founder of USA Today thinks.

Responding to a column in the newspaper by Al Neuharth, Steinbrenner gave Torre a vote of confidence Friday and said the manager will keep his job regardless of how the Yankees do this postseason.

``My job is here, to manage this club. When he feels it's not good enough, then that's up to him,'' Torre said.

ADVERTISEMENT

New York and Minnesota were tied 1-1 in the best-of-five division series heading into Game 3 on Saturday at the Metrodome.

Neuharth called Torre ``baseball's most overrated manager'' and said if the Yankees don't reach the World Series this year Steinbrenner could finally fire Torre.

``As a lifelong Yankee fan, I think the head groundskeeper could have managed as well as, or better than, Torre has during the past three seasons' playoffs,'' Neuharth wrote.

Steinbrenner disagreed.

``I have great respect for Al Neuharth as a businessman and an innovator,'' the owner said in a statement. ``On this one, he's wrong. He's been caught off base. Joe Torre is my manager. I support him. He's done the job. And he'll be my manager next year.''

Torre has been New York's manager since 1996, winning four World Series titles and five AL pennants. But he was criticized by Steinbrenner several times this season when the Yankees slumped.

Updated on Friday, Oct 3, 2003 6:44 pm EDT

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:38 pm

hes just saying that because Torre is doing good now.. but next year when the Yankees are so-so...
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:08 pm

I agree hes just saying that..bottom line is if they lose quick Torre is out...and here in Boston we can't wait for that to happen....
Dazedncnfz
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:02 am

I never believe anything Georgie says. If the Yanks lose the next two games, Torre is gone.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DK » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:05 am

look in the past about what owners said about their managers...they fire them not 10 days later...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Siege1386 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:22 am

but next year when the Yankees are so-so...

So-So?
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:48 am

WHEN( :-D ) the Red Sox win the World Series this year.. Torre will be Fired :-t
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:46 pm

eftda wrote:WHEN( :-D ) the Red Sox win the World Series this year.. Torre will be Fired :-t

Lol.

in all seriousness, if the sox win, about half of the yankees and yankee staff are gone. guaranteed. and that includes torre.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers