Red Sox Starting Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

Red Sox Starting Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox Starting Rotation

Postby Pokey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 am

acsguitar wrote:
BTW you can't listen to Boston Media for rumors. They will tell you whatever they want to make the Red Sox look spectacular.

Now, I for one do not think that Roger Clemens is coming to Boston. But, what I've quoted might be the most blatantly wrong thing I've ever seen on these forums!

The Boston Media makes its living by tearing the Red Sox apart.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:26 am

Pokey wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
BTW you can't listen to Boston Media for rumors. They will tell you whatever they want to make the Red Sox look spectacular.

Now, I for one do not think that Roger Clemens is coming to Boston. But, what I've quoted might be the most blatantly wrong thing I've ever seen on these forums!

THANK YOU AND THANK YOU FOR SOME SOME ACTUAL TRUTH
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby davidmarver » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:06 am

thomasps3 wrote:
Pokey wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Haha yeah right. Sure, the Boston Globe -- like all major newspapers in sports cities -- rips the Red Sox, but they've had some very bogus, optimistic rumors in the recent past. Peavy for Mike Lowell (ESPN-aided) or Peavy to the Red Sox in general was a pretty good, repeatedly denied by all Padres management, joke.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Cow » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:08 am

Miami in Ohio? wrote:But I would guess Clemens will be in Boston to finish his career, exactly where he began it." ... From the Globe's Gordon Edes

John Henry confirmed that the Sox are flying back to Boston with Daisuke Matsuzaka and agent Scott Boras on board. “You can assume that a deal is done or close."

So would that mean..

Schilling
Clemens
Matsuzaka
Beckett
Papelbon / Wakefield

That is insane....do you agree?

I don't think Clemens is coming back to Boston so the rotation is:
1. Schilling- getting old not as dominant as in the past
2. Matsuzaka- I don't know what to think of this guy, lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is a strong #2.
3. Beckett- Who knows what to expect from this guy was disappointing last year.
4. Papelbon- Is he going to healthy? If healthy he won't be as dominant a starter as a closer IMO
5. Wakefield- solid #5

Lets see how that stacks up with the Tribe's rotation:
1. C.C.- I will take C.C. over Schilling easily
2. Westbrook- I will take Matsuzaka here
3. C. Lee- I will call the Beckett/Lee matchup a push
4. Sowers- Both Sowers and Papelbon have bright futures in fairness Papelbon has the potential to be dominant whereas Sowers is more like a Glavine. Given Papelbon's recent injury history I have to call this a push. If both were healthy then Papelbon gets the nod, but as of right now he is questionable.
5. Byrd- Byrd or Wakefield its a toss-up. Both make solid #5's, a push.

I think both starting rotations are very good, the Tribe's has less injury concerns and Boston's has the potential to be more dominant. Just letting you know that there are other teams with very good rotations out there.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbauer2485 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:16 am

The rotation most likely isn't amazing even with Clemens. Not that each pitcher doesn't have the potential to all have great years at the same time, but still, very unlikely. You could easily say that about any other rotation on paper.

Also, doesn't this belong in the Red Sox thread?

"How will the D-rays look this year" got moved and it's essentially the same topic.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:24 am

jbauer2485 wrote:Also, doesn't this belong in the Red Sox thread?

"How will the D-rays look this year" got moved and it's essentially the same topic.

Forum, I'm guessing you mean. And yah, it probably does.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:51 am

The Cow wrote:
Miami in Ohio? wrote:But I would guess Clemens will be in Boston to finish his career, exactly where he began it." ... From the Globe's Gordon Edes

John Henry confirmed that the Sox are flying back to Boston with Daisuke Matsuzaka and agent Scott Boras on board. “You can assume that a deal is done or close."

So would that mean..

Schilling
Clemens
Matsuzaka
Beckett
Papelbon / Wakefield

That is insane....do you agree?

I don't think Clemens is coming back to Boston so the rotation is:
1. Schilling- getting old not as dominant as in the past
2. Matsuzaka- I don't know what to think of this guy, lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is a strong #2.
3. Beckett- Who knows what to expect from this guy was disappointing last year.
4. Papelbon- Is he going to healthy? If healthy he won't be as dominant a starter as a closer IMO
5. Wakefield- solid #5

Lets see how that stacks up with the Tribe's rotation:
1. C.C.- I will take C.C. over Schilling easily
2. Westbrook- I will take Matsuzaka here
3. C. Lee- I will call the Beckett/Lee matchup a push
4. Sowers- Both Sowers and Papelbon have bright futures in fairness Papelbon has the potential to be dominant whereas Sowers is more like a Glavine. Given Papelbon's recent injury history I have to call this a push. If both were healthy then Papelbon gets the nod, but as of right now he is questionable.
5. Byrd- Byrd or Wakefield its a toss-up. Both make solid #5's, a push.

I think both starting rotations are very good, the Tribe's has less injury concerns and Boston's has the potential to be more dominant. Just letting you know that there are other teams with very good rotations out there.

The Cow

says the indians fan.. ;-D honestly, id rather have the red sox staff by a good margin.. matsuzaka/beckett is much better then westbrook/lee IMO..
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Melo255 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:57 am

A few things...

The Boston media DOES make it's living ripping the Red Sox. For every positive story or hopeful rumor there are 50 articles about how it's all going to end in a fireball of disappointment and misery. The Boston media IS biased - against the Red Sox. Trust me every media person in Boston lives to tear down every move of every team - except the Patriots who have a free pass for now for the most part.

Second, the rumor of Clemens likely to sign with the Red Sox came from the Houston Chronicle as was reported by not just Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe but ESPN and other outlets. The story was not born in Boston just reported here.

Thirdly, and this is just my opinion, to compare the Indians rotation with the Red Sox's as about equal is just crazy. Are you actually trying to say you would take the tribes 5 over the Sox's 5? That's ridiculous.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 pm

thomasps3 wrote:
Pokey wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

You guys are living in the Fog...

Boston journalists spend all day hyping up the redsox and ludacris trade rumors. If they didn't the fans would go insane because they can only stand hearing great stories about their beloved sox.

Then you see these Boston journalists on the Red sox Network AKA ESPN hyping up the sox even more.

I'm trying to think of the jerk journalist I saw on ESPN last night. he's one of the boston guys that writes for your Papers and is always on ESPN talking about how great the sox are and how they are gonna land Clemens every five minutes.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 pm

You guys saying the Boston media hype the Sox and invent rumors know this because you live in Boston, watch the local news, and read the Globe and Herald everyday, right?

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

PreviousNext

Return to Boston Red Sox