Re: Proxy Servers

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:On Yahoo sports there's this thing where you can watch a few hockey games a week on the site, the only thing is that you have to be in the US for you to be able to. So I heard that you could use Proxy Servers for this. Has anyone ever used them before? If so, this doesn't screw up your computer in any way does it? Help is appreciated.. ;-D
Sounds a little fishy. Not saying that it's infringement or anything, but and ISP wound terminate service for something like that. Keep that in mind.

What do you exactly mean by that?

I thought that this might put me in a bit of a situation. But I don't really know about how serious it is. I'm pretty bad with these sort of things, which is the reason why I posted this in the first place. :-D

An ISP won't do anything! No way no how...there is nothing wrong with using a proxy server at all!!!

NOTHING

It's not illegal.......yet. Most likely will be down the line though, as the government is going to have no choice. There has to be a way to make people accountable for their actions. Pedophiles, online gambling, etc, etc, etc. Won't surprise me at all to see some major changes on the net in the future.

Proxy's won't be illegal..they are perfectly fine to use and the fact is its more secure then using your nomal internet providers servers.

Most businesses, from large corporations to small businesses use proxy servers for security purposes. It would be impossible to "police" the internet in a way that would allow some proxies while making others illegal. The costs and legislation involved would be insurmountable.

The Internet is globals and free; the United States could not regulate proxy servers without severely crippling Information Technology in general.

Yep!

People are so freaked out of proxy servers its hilarious...its not illegal at all!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:On Yahoo sports there's this thing where you can watch a few hockey games a week on the site, the only thing is that you have to be in the US for you to be able to. So I heard that you could use Proxy Servers for this. Has anyone ever used them before? If so, this doesn't screw up your computer in any way does it? Help is appreciated.. ;-D
Sounds a little fishy. Not saying that it's infringement or anything, but and ISP wound terminate service for something like that. Keep that in mind.

I thought that this might put me in a bit of a situation. But I don't really know about how serious it is. I'm pretty bad with these sort of things, which is the reason why I posted this in the first place. :-D

An ISP won't do anything! No way no how...there is nothing wrong with using a proxy server at all!!!

NOTHING

It's not illegal.......yet. Most likely will be down the line though, as the government is going to have no choice. There has to be a way to make people accountable for their actions. Pedophiles, online gambling, etc, etc, etc. Won't surprise me at all to see some major changes on the net in the future.

Proxy's won't be illegal..they are perfectly fine to use and the fact is its more secure then using your nomal internet providers servers.

Most businesses, from large corporations to small businesses use proxy servers for security purposes. It would be impossible to "police" the internet in a way that would allow some proxies while making others illegal. The costs and legislation involved would be insurmountable.

The Internet is globals and free; the United States could not regulate proxy servers without severely crippling Information Technology in general.

Yep!

People are so freaked out of proxy servers its hilarious...its not illegal at all!!
Proxies definitely aren't illegal (they're super slow sometimes) so it depends how you use it, but companies will cancel service and investigate if they have any reason to suspect so. And you have to refer to your EULA to be sure. I remember a little while back people tried to use proxies to get zoned out games for MLB tv and that is definitely against mlb.com's rules. So refer to your contract and act accordingly.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Using proxy servers to circumvent MLB.com's geo-location based blackouts is against the terms of usage but they can't enforce it. I believe they have changed their service now anyway. But a lot of ISPs include HTTP proxies as part of their service and some people are in situations were a proxy is a necessity to connect to a service such as MLB.TV. There is really no way to differentiate between someone who is using a proxy out of necessity and someone who is using it not to be identified. Of course anonymity is not illegal in and of itself but it is when you use it to circumvent an agreement.

I do think the idea of identity on the Internet is going to be a very interesting topic in the years ahead. It isn't just going to be the U.S. either IMHO. As our society (and the rest of the world) becomes more and more reliant on and integrated with the Internet the need for accountability is going to increase. I have no idea how it's going to get done but it will get done at some point. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:15 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:

NOTHING

Yep!

Proxies definitely aren't illegal (they're super slow sometimes) so it depends how you use it, but companies will cancel service and investigate if they have any reason to suspect so. And you have to refer to your EULA to be sure. I remember a little while back people tried to use proxies to get zoned out games for MLB tv and that is definitely against mlb.com's rules. So refer to your contract and act accordingly.

Its hard to prove and all since you can just prove computer idiocy about anything these days

Oh that Illegal Pirated software on my computer. I didn't know what I was doing computers is scary
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:I do think the idea of identity on the Internet is going to be a very interesting topic in the years ahead. It isn't just going to be the U.S. either IMHO. As our society (and the rest of the world) becomes more and more reliant on and integrated with the Internet the need for accountability is going to increase. I have no idea how it's going to get done but it will get done at some point. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Agreed. Accountablility. People being responsible for what they do on the net. That will happen. Anyone who thinks the current anarchy on the net will continue, is sadly mistaken. There are several ways to get started on the whole process, but it will be interesting to see which way the government(s) accomplish it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:14 pm

In the face of litigation I would try to avoid that. I'm very proficient with p2p and proxies, but I just would recommend anyone to avoid the gray areas of the law. After all, you could be stuck without service and a huge fine (I just keeping thinking of the RIAA and MPAA right about now). And if your defense is to claim ignorance you're in big trouble.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:38 pm

Madison wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I do think the idea of identity on the Internet is going to be a very interesting topic in the years ahead. It isn't just going to be the U.S. either IMHO. As our society (and the rest of the world) becomes more and more reliant on and integrated with the Internet the need for accountability is going to increase. I have no idea how it's going to get done but it will get done at some point. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Agreed. Accountablility. People being responsible for what they do on the net. That will happen. Anyone who thinks the current anarchy on the net will continue, is sadly mistaken. There are several ways to get started on the whole process, but it will be interesting to see which way the government(s) accomplish it.

Why should the government control the net! It hurts no one..you can't victimize people on the net barely at all
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Why should the government control the net! It hurts no one..you can't victimize people on the net barely at all

I think if you look at the growth and evolution of the Internet you don't need to be a sci-fi fan in order to see the next step. The Internet is basically becoming a virtual society and the government(s) will have the right to protect its citizens and businesses. I am not a proponent of 100% government-controlled Internet and I'm not even arguing for or against anything it's just the way I imagine that it will develop.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Well the problem is that, in a free democracy and in regards to a global network of ends--rather than networks--the government has no legitimate control. And I think that's what they hate most. The government won't and can't control anything, but they can put the whole shebang in the hands of huge corporations like Verizon, Comcast and AOLTimesWarner... which would be a tragedy for the casual consumer.

And haven't you guys seen "To Catch a Predator." Those guys are losers, and that show alone has curbed the instances of internet sexual predators.

The government would love to have autonomy over Internet content, but doing so would undermine perhaps the last bastion of "free speech" available. What they don't tell you is how many of those "sexual predators" are actually horny 13 year old boys.

And even in China, one of the only places where Internet access is regulated, censored and monitored, many residents have found ways around it, simply because the Internet cannot be regulated.

It takes just one free nation to make the Internet 100% free of government regulation.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 pm

I think content control is a different topic entirely and hopefully our Constitution will always protect us in that regard.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk