Strippers, and other ways to do well at an auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strippers, and other ways to do well at an auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dmendro » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:39 pm

Last year, I brought out the biggest name I could first. It was Adam Dunn. I knew two owners in our league had a major crush on him, so I started him out for $20 ($300 cap 14 team league). I got the other two owners into a bidding war with me and I bowed out at $35 while they took it to $41. I came back in with $42 and I knew the other owner couldn't let him go, so I got him to $43 and effectively took him out of the auction for quite some time on anyone worth bidding big money on. I did the same for several other players.

I also tend to not bid up players I want until the auctioneer calls out going twice. the last thing you want to do is drive up your own targets while other owners are still bidding on them. So let the other owners duke it out and then put in your bid at the last second. Oh and always start at $1. You would be surprised what you can get for just a couple of bucks.

the most important thing to do is know your fellow owners. Go out drinking with them and talk baseball and get into breakout of the year, rookie of the year, cy young and mvp discussions with them. DON'T tell them who you actually think will win those awards, but rather throw them off with someone else and argue your point the best you can. Misinformation goes a long way and can help bid up people you don't want in the auction.

Auction is by far the most fun kind of daft you will ever do.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Good thoughts, dmendro. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I agree, start low or start late. But do you think that once you start bidding, small raises encourages momentum bidding? I wonder whether bidding larger raises makes other owners think a little harder about what a player is really going to cost, rather than encouraging owners to bid because the cost is only slightly above what they were last willing to pay. Like poker, when a player goes all-in, and the competitor, regardless of his hand, must choose whether to play on. I'm not saying overspend, but if you have a player targeted at $30 and you bid $20, and the next guy bids $20.50, is bidding $25 more likely to give you the player at the best price than bidding $21, $21.50, $22...?
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dmendro » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:56 pm

You never really know. you have to feel it out. If you bid $25 and the other guy is pretty strict at keepign to his limits and would have stopped at $22, you just lost $3, which in the last few rounds could cost you a sleeper or a prospect who goes for $2 instead of $1.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 pm

dmendro wrote:You never really know. you have to feel it out. If you bid $25 and the other guy is pretty strict at keepign to his limits and would have stopped at $22, you just lost $3, which in the last few rounds could cost you a sleeper or a prospect who goes for $2 instead of $1.

Yeah..I agree.

I've found that throwing out a huge bid on a player is dangerous. You may be the only one that values that player that high, and can end up costing yourself in the long run. $1 raises is what I've found works best. Also big bid's, can give someone else the sign that you like them, and they end up bidding you higher than you want to go.

I also make a list of players that I dont' really want. I make the list look like it's my "wish list". Then "let" other owners see the list sitting on the table during breaks and such, so they get an idea of who they "think" you want.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby converge241 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:21 pm

show up in a jersey of a player you like but you dont plan on getting

some people will try to make you overpay for them..meanwhile they get stuck

the previously stated catcher idea is great i do that until everyone gets a catcher than i can get the one i want cheap (i do the same for D/st and kickers in football)

general bluffing one way or the other always works..acting like youll go to the moon on a player you dont want ..acting nervous about one more dollar ona player you would pay a lot more for

but auction i do goes around the room as opposed to traditional bidding (so to speak)

so i throw out albert pujols for 1 dollar then the guy to my right either goes 2 or more or drops out for good

after pujols is taken, guy to the right of me throws out the next player and on and on and on
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm

bigwords wrote:Good thoughts, dmendro. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I agree, start low or start late. But do you think that once you start bidding, small raises encourages momentum bidding? I wonder whether bidding larger raises makes other owners think a little harder about what a player is really going to cost, rather than encouraging owners to bid because the cost is only slightly above what they were last willing to pay. Like poker, when a player goes all-in, and the competitor, regardless of his hand, must choose whether to play on. I'm not saying overspend, but if you have a player targeted at $30 and you bid $20, and the next guy bids $20.50, is bidding $25 more likely to give you the player at the best price than bidding $21, $21.50, $22...?
theoretically the person who values a player most will always get him, so you should bid small and hope that other owners will stop bidding when the player becomes too expensive. Large increases often will not drive people out of the bidding.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:48 pm

bluffing and all those other things are fun and in the end that is why we play fantasy sports. However a word of caution. Don't bid an amount for a player if you are not willing to take said player at said $$. Just as in an auction for anything else you never know when the bidding will dry up.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Maybe I'm a little different, but I always have one eye on the player I'm bidding on, and another on my other options at the position. I'm not going to overspend on a player when there are comparable alternatives still on the table who might cost me a lot less. On the other hand, especially early in an auction, it's hard to get a handle on whether it's a bullish or bearish market. Are fantasy GMs likely to overspend early on when the best players are up for bid -- or later on, when the number of good players dwindles? Probably every auction is a little different. But it's too easy to say that the GM who values the player the most will win him. There are other factors involved, especially during that early unpredictable stage, which is what makes auctions so fun and why I started this thread.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:03 pm

BigLebowski wrote: I also make a list of players that I dont' really want. I make the list look like it's my "wish list". Then "let" other owners see the list sitting on the table during breaks and such, so they get an idea of who they "think" you want.

I take fantasy magazines and make up numbers and write them down next to players while I'm watching the NCAA tourney, just take a pencil and make "8" by one and "3" by another. It doesn't mean squat but, sooner or later somebody will ask to borrow the mag and I figure it will throw them off trying to figure out what my numbers mean.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby hersch223 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Keep track of everyone else's money, that way you know when they reach a point where they can't bid any higher. It's very useful. Likewise, keep track of what positions they have to fill as well. If you're the last guy that needs a 2B, then don't worry about getting one until the end, for $1.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers