Strippers, and other ways to do well at an auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strippers, and other ways to do well at an auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strippers, and other ways to do well at an auction

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 pm

I recall in Sam Walker's "Fantasyland" that he hired a woman with great cleavage to go around the room, making an attention-grabbing move, anytime any of the players he wanted came up for bid.

That may be extreme, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good theories on bidding success during live auctions, such as large and unpredictable raises, throwing out non-superstars in early bidding, or any bits of psychological warfare.

How do you win the players you want?
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:58 pm

One basic strategy that I think many people use is to throw players you don't want in the early stage

For me, I always nominate closers and injury-prone starting pitchers early, because I don't want them on my team but other managers usually are willing spend good chunk of money of them.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Get your leaguemates drunk. ;-D
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 pm

thedude wrote:Get your leaguemates drunk. ;-D

Amen to that.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Catchers.

Nominate a new one everytime it is your turn. Start with the mid level catchers and it will get owners overbidding on them. The two or three you are targeting come out last in your bidding unless somebody brings them up.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:16 pm

I thought about alcohol, but isn't it likely to loosen inhibitions and make owners spend more than they might under sober circumstances? Maybe the trick is to get them drunk the night before, so they are bidding with a hangover. Then, when you are bidding against them, you announce your bids in an extremely high, aggressive voice. Perhaps your opponent will stop bidding against you because his head can't take the screaming.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 pm

bigwords wrote:I thought about alcohol, but isn't it likely to loosen inhibitions and make owners spend more than they might under sober circumstances? Maybe the trick is to get them drunk the night before, so they are bidding with a hangover. Then, when you are bidding against them, you announce your bids in an extremely high, aggressive voice. Perhaps your opponent will stop bidding against you because his head can't take the screaming.

Get them drunk and then let them waste their money on Barry Bonds, Griffey, Jeter, ect.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby suppasonic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm

Give yourself shots of water, and pretend to be drunk, as well.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Ive never done a live auction...only through forums. I'd loe to get into a local auction league (St.Louis) to try and figure out my own strategies.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby BritSox » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:One basic strategy that I think many people use is to throw players you don't want in the early stage

For me, I always nominate closers and injury-prone starting pitchers early, because I don't want them on my team but other managers usually are willing spend good chunk of money of them.

Are you RUmp in disguise?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers