Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Less than market value?? I don't see how it is.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. He's certainly likely to never be worth the money he's getting in this deal, but it had been suggested by many that he would have been a 20M player next year in FA, and that he would decline this deal for that very reason. Rosenthal in that very article points out that a 10 year/200M contract was actually within range of what you would expect Vernon to get had he been a FA next year.

I saw what he wrote but I respectfully disagree with him. Eventually, the market will come crashing down again. It might be next year or it might not. It seems like the $200M plateau is something that owners don't want to do. Putting the $$ aside, that is a prestigious level and you better be a great player before you can expect that level. I don't see how Wells is close to that level. Right after A-Rod signed, Jeter signed his deal. The timing was perfect yet he didn't make that much. I don't think that can be ignored.

If you had read what I've written throughout this article, you would know that I don't believe Vernon Wells is close to that level, and that's why I wouldn't like this signing as much as some other scenarios. That doesn't have anything to do with his market value, though. What I do know is where his market level is based on what Soriano, Lee, and Drew signed for, as well as speculation amongst media sources (including Rosenthal, who I do trust to have a good read on what GMs are thinking). You'd have to think a younger 3 time Gold-Glove winner with a good bat would be deemed to be better than those 3 by general managers, and would have signed for considerably more than that had he been on the market this year (and next year, as I don't see this market changing that soon).

I saw what you wrote about Wells' worth and I agree that he will probably never live up to this contract. I am mainly saying that $200M is hallowed ground. No matter what the market would be, I don't know whether he would have been able to squeak another 3 years and $74M out of some team.

You might be right, but if Vernon signs this contract we'll never really know what what his value would have been next year (though we could get a good indication next year based on how much Andruw Jones signs for). Keep in mind that I'm merely saying this is under market value, not that he would actually get 200M. There's still a large range in between 126 and 200. I'm convinced that if he was a FA this year, he would have received atleast 20M. Over the last few years, I've learned to never underestimate the spending of rich owners in markets like these though, particularly if they really want to win.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Word today is that Wells is going to sign and that the contract includes a no-trade clause and an opt-out for Vernon 8-o

Word is also that JP did not want this contract and that it is all being pushed by team Pres Paul Godfrey.

Any Jays fans remember how the Jays blamed a number of bad seasons on the Carlos Delgado contract? This is starting to smell bad. It might also be the start of a rift b/w JP and ownership. If he's going to build the team let him do it his way. I like Vernon but we did well without Carlos and we can do well without Wells. Keep Rios and get some pitching prospects, at least shore up the bullpen.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Word today is that Wells is going to sign and that the contract includes a no-trade clause and an opt-out for Vernon 8-o

Word is also that JP did not want this contract and that it is all being pushed by team Pres Paul Godfrey.

Any Jays fans remember how the Jays blamed a number of bad seasons on the Carlos Delgado contract? This is starting to smell bad. It might also be the start of a rift b/w JP and ownership. If he's going to build the team let him do it his way. I like Vernon but we did well without Carlos and we can do well without Wells. Keep Rios and get some pitching prospects, at least shore up the bullpen.

Yup, agreed on all points. Don't like the look of it. Last thing you need is an $18M contract you can't get rid of in case he's gone down the tank by around 2012 or so..

This deal is just shocking to me. I'm both shocked that they offered it and shocked that Wells accepted it. The salary structure of the Jays has pretty much been thrown totally out of whack now (Wells making about 50% more than Halladay), and obviously I don't really think this makes the team any better.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Word today is that Wells is going to sign and that the contract includes a no-trade clause and an opt-out for Vernon 8-o

This "word" came from one article in the Toronto Star yesterday, and it was written by Richard Griffin, a guy who knows absolutely nothing about the Toronto Blue Jays organization, the people in it, or for that matter, baseball altogether. I wouldn't take too much into what one guy writes about such things, especially him. In the end, this team is under Ricciardi's control, he makes all the personnel decisions, and has since he got here.

Mookie4ever wrote:Any Jays fans remember how the Jays blamed a number of bad seasons on the Carlos Delgado contract? This is starting to smell bad. It might also be the start of a rift b/w JP and ownership. If he's going to build the team let him do it his way. I like Vernon but we did well without Carlos and we can do well without Wells. Keep Rios and get some pitching prospects, at least shore up the bullpen.

That Delgado contract situation was totally different. We had a payroll half of we have now. His contract was over 30% of the team's payroll for awhile there when JP came on, that was the issue. There is no rift between JP Ricciardi and ownership. That's another hunch based on nothing that Griffin pulled out of nowhere again just fill his weekly article quota. They wouldn't have given him another long extension last year if that was the case. The reason we did well without Carlos was because we acquired what is now arguably a better player to replace him (in Overbay). While Rios has the potential to be better than Vernon, we don't know if he will ever fufil that potential (he still has a career .760 OPS over 3-4 seasons, don't forget that).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:31 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:The salary structure of the Jays has pretty much been thrown totally out of whack now (Wells making about 50% more than Halladay), and obviously I don't really think this makes the team any better.

That's the market for you (of course it was also helped by Roy Halladay taking a huge pay cut to help the team). If you are going to sign good players, you're going to have to take the hit financially.
You think this doesn't make the team any better? How can keeping one of the best centerfielders in the game over signing Lilly and Meche be that bad of a thing?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I heard it on the Fan590 this morning from Mike Wilner. He may have been just been rehashing Griffin's article but Wilner is their Jays insider and occasional play by play man.

I don't usually read the Star, I'm more of a Globe and Mail guy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I heard it on the Fan590 this morning from Mike Wilner. He may have been just been rehashing Griffin's article but Wilner is their Jays insider and occasional play by play man.

I don't usually read the Star, I'm more of a Globe and Mail guy.

I'm sure Wilner got that information from that story because no other Jays writer has even referred to that with the exception being Griffin. From when I've listened to Mike, he tends to rehash a lot of stuff that has either been reported on or written about.

As for me, well I prefer the Star's sports section to the Globe's, so I read that. However, I do try to find time each day to read Blair's articles on the web.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:06 pm

What's crazy about this 126 million deal is the fact that it will cost Ted nearly 6 times more than he paid for the actual stadium this team plays in.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:The salary structure of the Jays has pretty much been thrown totally out of whack now (Wells making about 50% more than Halladay), and obviously I don't really think this makes the team any better.

You think this doesn't make the team any better? How can keeping one of the best centerfielders in the game over signing Lilly and Meche be that bad of a thing?

Well, Wells is definitely better than Lilly and Meche.. that would have been a ton of money just thrown ludicrously down the toilet.. :-{ %-6

It's more that the signing by itself doesn't make them any better their teams from the last three or four years. They didn't bring anyone new in, and are just paying an extra $12M/year to a guy who was already a key part of the teams that typically won about 80-85 games a year. It's more like treading water, but not an improvement, and it zaps them of a lot of resources to get other things they need.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:00 pm

I'm just surprised they didnt move Wells to the Angels before they signed Matthews Jr. Probably could have received some top prospects and then they would have the money to get Young next year (and then for this year you put Rios in center and sign a third starter)
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers