Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:31 pm

I know Vernon Wells had a great year and I like him as a player, but isnt this a bit much? The guy really hasnt had a season near what he had last year and is getting up there in age.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:53 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
According to another report on Yahoo!, it is a seven year deal worth $126 million US. If signed, the contract would be the sixth-richest in baseball history, behind only Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 million for eight years), Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million, eight years).

No Pujols? Depending on how you look at it, that can be good or bad.

Hasn't been a free agent, so his contract is just 7 years 100 million signed before 2004 season. That is an incredibly huge bargain for the Cards given the current salary trends.

Absolutely and kudos to good GMs who are not afraid to lock up young players longterm... Minaya did this with Wright and Reyes, Jocketty with Pujols, Ryan with Santana, etc...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:01 pm

Although it's a big deal, I like it for the Jays. Vernon has been a fan favourite and he's proven he can play. He's got talent and he's still fairly young. We've finally given him more support, so I think he'll only get better. Kudos to JP if he can get this deal done. ;-D

Some interesting facts I was reading about in the Toronto Star today..

If Vernon Wells agrees to a $126 million ($U.S., unless stated otherwise) contract proposed by the Blue Jays, he could buy:

6 Roger Centres (based on $21 million purchase price in 2004)
2,275 base model 2007 Cadillac Escalades ($55,400)
18,000 Samsung 63" Plasma HDTV ($6,999)
210,000 60 GB Playstation 3s ($599)
773,000 58.6L of Labatt Blue ($188 Cdn.)
12.6 million 1997 Bowman Vernon Wells rookie cards ($9.99)
52.9 million TTC tokens ($2.75 Cdn, bus fare)
1.1 billion Timbits (12 cents Cdn.) -- or roughly three dozen for each man, woman and child in Canada
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Yoda wrote:Absolutely and kudos to good GMs who are not afraid to lock up young players longterm... Minaya did this with Wright and Reyes, Jocketty with Pujols, Ryan with Santana, etc...

A big part of Pujols' deal was that Pujols himself wanted to stay in St. Louis because he likes the community a lot and did not want to just abandon it. It was a great move by the Cards to get him locked up but, to a large degree, he wanted to be locked up there and chose not to degrade himself chasing after free agency they way that other guys seem to be able to do.

As a Cubs' fan, it pains me that they can't figure out a way to 'poach' him but I think that he's likely to be a lifer there, barring an injury of some sort pushing him to the AL as a DH. :~(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:56 am

AcidRock23 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Absolutely and kudos to good GMs who are not afraid to lock up young players longterm... Minaya did this with Wright and Reyes, Jocketty with Pujols, Ryan with Santana, etc...

A big part of Pujols' deal was that Pujols himself wanted to stay in St. Louis because he likes the community a lot and did not want to just abandon it. It was a great move by the Cards to get him locked up but, to a large degree, he wanted to be locked up there and chose not to degrade himself chasing after free agency they way that other guys seem to be able to do.

As a Cubs' fan, it pains me that they can't figure out a way to 'poach' him but I think that he's likely to be a lifer there, barring an injury of some sort pushing him to the AL as a DH. :~(

Well, yeah, but it's a two way street. Pujols doesn't want to be locked up if he feels like the Card haven't treated him right to that point in his career.

I really don't regard guys who make the decision to chase free agent dollars as degraded. They work their butt off and get paid far below their real economic value during the minors and years before free agency. You throw on top of that a team that doesn't treat you right, and I think you'd be crazy not to see what the real market value of your skills are.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:00 am

I think that this is a legit and sincere offer by the Jays to keep Wells but Im thinking that it will still fall short. Wells and his agent will want more than Soriano received in his deal. I could see another club offering him 20 mil, which I think would be a mistake for the Jays to match especially with the number of free agents available for the 2008 season.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:37 am

Rosenthal is reporting that the Jays are about to sign Vernon Wells for for this very contract, it just includes a no-trade clause and an opt-out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6274400

Well this comes as a huge surprise to me. He actually signed the contract and decided to stay, for what appears to be less than market value. However it includes a no-trade clause and an opt-out which really favour him. I particularly don't like the fact that he has the ability to opt-out just like Burnett if it looks like the market could get him a lot more money, but who knows if he'll be a 20M player 3 or 4 years from now. This certainly isn't the best case scenario (I was hoping for him to decline, and for the Jays to make a good trade to fill some other holes, while putting Rios in center), but it certainly isn't the worst case scenario either. Signing your franchise player (even though he's not anywhere near one of the better franchise players) for less than market value isn't a bad move, especially when you consider what the team was planning to spend it on (Ted Lilly and Gil Meche :-P ).

The question is...where are they going to get a #3 starter from now? I hope this doesn't mean they'll trade Rios. This contract wouldn't affect next year, so you'd have to think they still have money to spend. Maybe Suppan? He wouldn't be worth it, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:14 am

Also, I really hope this means Michael Young will be our top FA target come next offseason. We'll still have our hole at SS, making him the perfect fit, and Young and Wells have always wanted to play together.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:22 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I really don't regard guys who make the decision to chase free agent dollars as degraded.

They aren't degraded in the chasing, they are degraded later, when they fail to live up to the hype and the fans get on them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:53 am

AcidRock23 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I really don't regard guys who make the decision to chase free agent dollars as degraded.

They aren't degraded in the chasing, they are degraded later, when they fail to live up to the hype and the fans get on them.

OK, I'm really confused. You wrote:

"It was a great move by the Cards to get him locked up but, to a large degree, he wanted to be locked up there and chose not to degrade himself chasing after free agency they way that other guys seem to be able to do. "

But now you say:
"...They aren't degraded in the chasing..."

I guess we agree that chasing the $ isn't degrading. I guess you regard failing to live up to the expectations as fans as degrading. I guess I'd say I'm willing to be degraded for those kind of free agent $!! Degrade me please.
[/b]
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers