Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:26 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
According to another report on Yahoo!, it is a seven year deal worth $126 million US. If signed, the contract would be the sixth-richest in baseball history, behind only Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 million for eight years), Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million, eight years).

No Pujols? Depending on how you look at it, that can be good or bad.

Wells is a great player, but i am not a huge fan of the 100 million dollar contract. Of all of the above mentioned contracts (signed before this year) only Jeter has not disappointed his team. A-Rod was traded. And the Rockies and Red Sox have tried to Helton and Manny.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 pm

Yoda wrote:I'd like to hear what TOR fans have to say. Vernon owns a career OPS+ of 112 (similar to Soriano/Lee) but has a much better glove. I am wondering if they really want him to accept or just show that they are trying.

Oh, and 126M CAD = 109M USD...

That's a very good question. The Jays have always been about media and fan perception when dealing with their players in contract talks, but this actually seems like a legitimate offer. It certainly isn't at all like the lowballing that went on with Escobar and Delgado. The ball is firmly in Vernon's court now, especially since he said only a few weeks ago that he would stay for a contract close to market value (and this is certainly around where he would be getting paid if he was a FA). I don't think anybody surrounding this organization (including Vernon) were expecting the Jays to offer a contract like this, though. Only a few months ago, Ricciardi said he wouldn't offer Beltran money, but things have changed since then (with the large increase in payroll, and the fact they weren't able to sign Lilly or Meche). If Vernon doesn't take this deal, it's an indication that he really doesn't want to be here past next year, and that's when the team has to trade him.

As for whether he's worth it, and whether I actually want him to sign, well those are pretty tough questions too. Obviously you'd rather spend 18-20M on Wells as opposed to two mediocre starters in Lilly and Meche, but quite frankly, Vernon simply isn't that good. He's only really had 2 great offensive seasons (and his great isn't anywhere near the best hitters in the league), and his defense declined last year despite still winning another Gold Glove. IMO, he's hugely overrated around baseball. If the Jays are going to spend roughly 15-20% of their payroll on Vernon Wells, when they have 2 other CF options in Rios and Reed Johnson, I'm not sure it's a very good move at all. 18-20M could probably be spent somewhere else, on a very good marquee talent, or a division of other good players.
On the other hand, Vernon Wells is the face of the franchise (second only to maybe Roy Halladay), and his loss would be a big one for this team. It's a good thing I'm not JP Ricciardi right now.

Anyways, it's always nice to see your team spend this kind of money on your best players, but I think the best case scenario for the team might be for him to not accept this (and I think that's a huge possibility right now), and for the team to trade him for solid value, while spending the money elsewhere. Alex Rios has the chance to be a far better player than Vernon, both offensively and defensively, and I wouldn't be agaisnt giving him the CF role next year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Oh..and the Jays use American money when dealing with their players' contracts.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'd like to hear what TOR fans have to say. Vernon owns a career OPS+ of 112 (similar to Soriano/Lee) but has a much better glove. I am wondering if they really want him to accept or just show that they are trying.

Oh, and 126M CAD = 109M USD...

That's a very good question. The Jays have always been about media and fan perception when dealing with their players in contract talks, but this actually seems like a legitimate offer. It certainly isn't at all like the lowballing that went on with Escobar and Delgado. The ball is firmly in Vernon's court now, especially since he said only a few weeks ago that he would stay for a contract close to market value (and this is certainly around where he would be getting paid if he was a FA). I don't think anybody surrounding this organization (including Vernon) were expecting the Jays to offer a contract like this, though. Only a few months ago, Ricciardi said he wouldn't offer Beltran money, but things have changed since then (with the large increase in payroll, and the fact they weren't able to sign Lilly or Meche). If Vernon doesn't take this deal, it's an indication that he really doesn't want to be here past next year, and that's when the team has to trade him.

As for whether he's worth it, and whether I actually want him to sign, well those are pretty tough questions too. Obviously you'd rather spend 18-20M on Wells as opposed to two mediocre starters in Lilly and Meche, but quite frankly, Vernon simply isn't that good. He's only really had 2 great offensive seasons (and his great isn't anywhere near the best hitters in the league), and his defense declined last year despite still winning another Gold Glove. IMO, he's hugely overrated around baseball. If the Jays are going to spend roughly 15-20% of their payroll on Vernon Wells, when they have 2 other CF options in Rios and Reed Johnson, I'm not sure it's a very good move at all. 18-20M could probably be spent somewhere else, on a very good marquee talent, or a division of other good players.
On the other hand, Vernon Wells is the face of the franchise (second only to maybe Roy Halladay), and his loss would be a big one for this team. It's a good thing I'm not JP Ricciardi right now.

Anyways, it's always nice to see your team spend this kind of money on your best players, but I think the best case scenario for the team might be for him to not accept this (and I think that's a huge possibility right now), and for the team to trade him for solid value, while spending the money elsewhere. Alex Rios has the chance to be a far better player than Vernon, both offensively and defensively, and I wouldn't be agaisnt giving him the CF role next year.

Nice...

Yeah I guess they are paying a premium but he's a homegrown talent, still very young with high ceiling, etc. I think losing him without trying would have been the end for JP.

This is a very nice deal for Vernon and he should accept it without thinking twice about it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm

mweir145 wrote:Oh..and the Jays use American money when dealing with their players' contracts.

I know I was just poking fun.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Yoda wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Oh..and the Jays use American money when dealing with their players' contracts.

I know I was just poking fun.

Wasn't sure, some people actually don't know that sometimes.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:...but quite frankly, Vernon simply isn't that good. He's only really had 2 great offensive seasons (and his great isn't anywhere near the best hitters in the league...

I couldn't agree more. I'm suprised by all the love Wells gets. He's good, sure, but he gets "top end" man love around here!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Yoda wrote:This is a very nice deal for Vernon and he should accept it without thinking twice about it.

"Yeah, one way or the other, I think it needs to get done," he said. "Whether they want to stick it out with me (playing in 2007) if it doesn’t get done, or if they need to trade me to get pitching or if we get this thing finalized and over with and don't have to worry about it for the next however many years."

Asked whose court the ball might be in as far as continued negotiations, Wells said, "I think there was a tie-up and there's going to be a toss-up in the middle of the floor.

"I’m just going to say it's in the jump-ball phase right now."

I agree, but this quote here from Vernon yesterday suggests that he may actually want more money. If he wants more than this, it might be time to cut him loose. 126M is a ton of money for even this league, I think anybody would agree, especially when only a few months ago he would have been lucky to get 100 had they offered him a contract then.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Yoda wrote:This is a very nice deal for Vernon and he should accept it without thinking twice about it.

"Yeah, one way or the other, I think it needs to get done," he said. "Whether they want to stick it out with me (playing in 2007) if it doesn’t get done, or if they need to trade me to get pitching or if we get this thing finalized and over with and don't have to worry about it for the next however many years."

Asked whose court the ball might be in as far as continued negotiations, Wells said, "I think there was a tie-up and there's going to be a toss-up in the middle of the floor.

"I’m just going to say it's in the jump-ball phase right now."

I agree, but this quote here from Vernon yesterday suggests that he may actually want more money. If he wants more than this, it might be time to cut him loose. 126M is a ton of money for even this league, I think anybody would agree, especially when only a few months ago he would have been lucky to get 100 had they offered him a contract then.

8-o

If he rejects this deal, then he'd better hope that his numbers in 07 look like 06 and not 04, 05.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Maybe Wells is not just about money? I know he lives in Arlington, Texas. Maybe he just doesn't enjoy playing for Toronto. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn down this offer but accept a similar offer from a different team (when he's a FA).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers