Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jays sign Wells for 7 years/$126M

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=188250&hubname=

Reportedly a 7 yr deal. I wonder if it's in Canadian?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jays offer Wells 126M

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Yoda wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=188250&hubname=

Reportedly a 7 yr deal. I wonder if it's in Canadian?

lol... Still... Wow!

8-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:13 pm

According to another report on Yahoo!, it is a seven year deal worth $126 million US. If signed, the contract would be the sixth-richest in baseball history, behind only Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 million for eight years), Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million, eight years).

No Pujols? Depending on how you look at it, that can be good or bad.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 pm

18 million a year would be worth it to me to stay in Canada, I do believe. He could probably get more next offseason, but personally I would take the deal and not chance the squandering away of money.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 pm

I'd like to hear what TOR fans have to say. Vernon owns a career OPS+ of 112 (similar to Soriano/Lee) but has a much better glove. I am wondering if they really want him to accept or just show that they are trying.

Oh, and 126M CAD = 109M USD...
Last edited by Yoda on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:18 million a year would be worth it to me to stay in Canada, I do believe. He could probably get more next offseason, but personally I would take the deal and not chance the squandering away of money.

Toronto is a really really nice city...And its huge and very international I don't think staying in Canada is really that big of a problem when its Toronto
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:18 million a year would be worth it to me to stay in Canada, I do believe. He could probably get more next offseason, but personally I would take the deal and not chance the squandering away of money.

Toronto is a really really nice city...And its huge and very international I don't think staying in Canada is really that big of a problem when its Toronto

But how do you feel about the Jennings deal, ACS? That's all anyone here really cares about.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:18 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

But how do you feel about the Jennings deal, ACS? That's all anyone here really cares about.

Hey your team won the series and has good players...The rockies don't do anything ever! Kaz Mat was our big signing in the last 2 years.

Don't kill my joy!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Great offer by the Jays - nice to see them continue their spending spree ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby zepfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Considering the way salaries have been going lately, I would love it if this deal went through. To have Wells locked up for that long would give us more to build around. With the Thomas signing and Rios looking like he has star potential (possibly sooner than later) I think they could contend if things go right.
In a prime example of addition by subtraction, I think we could get way more out of our current roster by getting rid John Gibbons. Strange that the biggest clubhouse cancer would be the manager. :-P

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers