Keeper Strategy, what would you do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper Strategy, what would you do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Strategy, what would you do?

Postby dmendro » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Ok, we are a 14 Team league. $300 Cap.

H2H 6 X 6 Mixed.
5 Keepers.
Auction Draft.
26 man rosters, you have to carry 21 players minimum. We start 9 position players, and 7 pitchers.
BA, R, RBI HR, SB, Total bases + Walks + HBP
IP, S, W-L, ERA WHIP, K.

what do you all think? Whats the better strat? Go cheap or go with the best players I could possibly keep? If I go cheap I can get better players in the draft to fill out the rest of my roster, but if I go expensive, I will have stronger starters at the expense of backups and I will probably miss out on good second young second year prospects because they will cost more then I iwll be able to afford.
Last edited by dmendro on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Strategy, what would you do?

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 pm

dmendro wrote:what do you all think?

First and foremost, I'd copy and paste this into the Draft, Trade, & Keeper forum, because it's about to become hamster fodder.

Second, I'd think about parsing your post. It's a little much for most people here to read. Many will pass it by on that fact alone. Took me a while to learn that one...

:-/
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby dmendro » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Sorry, my question is not so much, who do I keep, it's what strategy would you guys do. Go cheap and young in an auction draft, hoping to retain your expensive elite veterans with your expanded buying power, or retain the expensive vets hoping you can get cheap youngsters in the draft.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:56 pm

dmendro wrote:Sorry, my question is not so much, who do I keep, it's what strategy would you guys do. Go cheap and young in an auction draft, hoping to retain your expensive elite veterans with your expanded buying power, or retain the expensive vets hoping you can get cheap youngsters in the draft.

I'll be glad to help. Go ahead and post this over in the other forum (make sure to include your keeper options and their salaries in 2007), and I'll look it up again and shoot you my opinion.

I'm only stressing that because this thread is seriously going to be locked very soon for being in the wrong forum. Just lookin' out for ya!

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Since this is general strategy and not a specific player question I think it's OK. It's a nice break for the 80-page Dickey thread at any rate. :-B

Anyhow, I don't think you want either or. A nice mix would work best. If you stick to the 75% rule of thumb for auctions as much as possible you should be able to build a solid team and still have some extra dollars to nab some of the up-and-comers cheap.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:Since this is general strategy and not a specific player question I think it's OK. It's a nice break for the 80-page Dickey thread at any rate. :-B

You're the mod! ;-D

frigga-fraggin' mod... making me look like a jerk... O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:26 pm

I think it's fine in this forum. It's a strategy question that can be applied generally to many fantasy teams.

My advice is to forget "going expensive" or "going cheap." Instead, focus on VALUE. You may have a player who is "expensive" but put into the auction, he's be even more expensive and it will cost you a lot to replace him. Take Carlos Beltran for example. In my league, the team that won him paid $20 for him, which put him in the top 5 percent of salaries. But Beltran had a great great season, and he's likely to go for $40 next season. If you owned Beltran and didn't keep him, you'd have to spend about $40 to recover his value. On the other hand, you can look at a guy like Mark Texeira, who went for $35 in our auction. I'm sure he'll bounce back and have a great season next year, but why waste a keeper slot when it might only cost you $30 in the auction to replace him?

On the other hand, you have your "cheap" guys whose value increased a lot over the past season. Take Dan Uggla. He's 50 cents in my league. He may not match his numbers next season, but there aren't a lot of great 2B. The cost to replace him with a top 5 2B would be immense, and it's probably worth sticking with Uggla for 50 cents, and spending your money elsewhere.

In summary, you have to examine each player individually, and determine whether their value is worth their salary. In all likelihood, you'll keep a combination of expensive guys AND cheap guys, and in the auction, you'll engage in bidding for a new combination of cheap and expensive guys.

Focus on value and replacement cost.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigwords » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:44 pm

Two more things:

One, you have to take in account whether your team had a good season last year. This is almost like being a real-life GM. If you team had a good season and you're close to winning, then you might lean towards keeping many of the expensive players. If your team had a bad season and you're not close to winning, you may wish to rebuild for a following year. Go with those rookies and 2nd year players. Generally speaking, however, veterans will outperform young players, so I wouldn't count on them to win you much in 2007.

Also, going back to my value point, MLB.com had a good chart of player value going into 2006 and where they wound up. Handy for the purposes of deciding which players to designate as keepers:

hitters: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fanta ... tingprices

pitchers: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fanta ... hingprices
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:37 pm

I agree with most of the posts on here. You definately don't want to go "cheap" because you will regret it when you see all of those studs go for over $50. You have to pay for some studs, but not all. In salary leagues, it is all about value. Anybody can bid $50 for Pujols, but it is the player that bid $22 for Howard that won.
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers