Young & Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young & Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OREO fan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:30 pm

The Cow wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Cow wrote:Agnes name me the O's last couple top home grown hitters. If you have to go all the way back to Cal Ripken I will excuse your giddiness over Markakis.

The Cow


And that's relevant, how?

Markakis performance speaks for itself.
No need to bring up red herrings.

Markakis was an excellent prospect at the start of last season. I'm sorry if you and some of the other readers ar so ignorant of his prospect status, but anyone that paid attention to minor league ball ID'd him as a serious prospect in 2005. He was typically ranked about the 4th or 5th best OF prospect in all of the minor leagues at the start of 2006. Would it really be all that incredible for the #5 OF prospect to end up out-performing the #1 OF prospect? Somebody remind me what round Mike Piazza was chosen and how many catcher prospects were chosen before him? If so many baseball experts missed on that one, I'd hardly be so damned confident that Young is a LOCK.


You are so quick to throw insults aren't you a peach. I will say a prayer for you. I and most in this forum are far from ignorant to Markakis' prospect status. But I and most in this forum are from ignorant of Young's prospect status. IMO if Young were a prospect of the O's, Yanks or Red Sox this forum would have already inducted Young into the HOF. As it is you have SEEN Markakis play and I am sure he is a good player, BUT you have seen Young play very little in comparison to Markakis, so I understand the bias towards Markakis. And then when you throw in the fact that Baltimore has not produced a hitting prospect since Cal Ripken well I can only imagine that maybe just maybe the O's and the Baltimore media may just have Markakis just a tad over hyped.

The Cow


What makes you think this forum is full of Oriole fans? I would bet there are more D-Ray homers on here than Oriole fans. How can you compare the "hype" around Markakis with the hype that is certainly present with Young?
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 267
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 pm

OREO fan wrote:
The Cow wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Cow wrote:Agnes name me the O's last couple top home grown hitters. If you have to go all the way back to Cal Ripken I will excuse your giddiness over Markakis.

The Cow


And that's relevant, how?

Markakis performance speaks for itself.
No need to bring up red herrings.

Markakis was an excellent prospect at the start of last season. I'm sorry if you and some of the other readers ar so ignorant of his prospect status, but anyone that paid attention to minor league ball ID'd him as a serious prospect in 2005. He was typically ranked about the 4th or 5th best OF prospect in all of the minor leagues at the start of 2006. Would it really be all that incredible for the #5 OF prospect to end up out-performing the #1 OF prospect? Somebody remind me what round Mike Piazza was chosen and how many catcher prospects were chosen before him? If so many baseball experts missed on that one, I'd hardly be so damned confident that Young is a LOCK.


You are so quick to throw insults aren't you a peach. I will say a prayer for you. I and most in this forum are far from ignorant to Markakis' prospect status. But I and most in this forum are from ignorant of Young's prospect status. IMO if Young were a prospect of the O's, Yanks or Red Sox this forum would have already inducted Young into the HOF. As it is you have SEEN Markakis play and I am sure he is a good player, BUT you have seen Young play very little in comparison to Markakis, so I understand the bias towards Markakis. And then when you throw in the fact that Baltimore has not produced a hitting prospect since Cal Ripken well I can only imagine that maybe just maybe the O's and the Baltimore media may just have Markakis just a tad over hyped.

The Cow


What makes you think this forum is full of Oriole fans? I would bet there are more D-Ray homers on here than Oriole fans. How can you compare the "hype" around Markakis with the hype that is certainly present with Young?


I am just pointing out the North-East coast bias in this forum and I am pointing out that the O's have not had a top hitting prospect in a LONG time, so when the O's do get one in Markakis he looks that much better. I mean look at the people on Survivor, they go without chocolate and peanut butter for a few weeks and they are willing to strip naked to get some because they haven't had any in a long time. They were starving for P.B. and chocolate as Baltimore is starving for good young talent. People in Baltimore put your clothes back on, Markakis is good just not as good as Young.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:53 pm

The Cow wrote:
OREO fan wrote:
The Cow wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Cow wrote:Agnes name me the O's last couple top home grown hitters. If you have to go all the way back to Cal Ripken I will excuse your giddiness over Markakis.

The Cow


And that's relevant, how?

Markakis performance speaks for itself.
No need to bring up red herrings.

Markakis was an excellent prospect at the start of last season. I'm sorry if you and some of the other readers ar so ignorant of his prospect status, but anyone that paid attention to minor league ball ID'd him as a serious prospect in 2005. He was typically ranked about the 4th or 5th best OF prospect in all of the minor leagues at the start of 2006. Would it really be all that incredible for the #5 OF prospect to end up out-performing the #1 OF prospect? Somebody remind me what round Mike Piazza was chosen and how many catcher prospects were chosen before him? If so many baseball experts missed on that one, I'd hardly be so damned confident that Young is a LOCK.


You are so quick to throw insults aren't you a peach. I will say a prayer for you. I and most in this forum are far from ignorant to Markakis' prospect status. But I and most in this forum are from ignorant of Young's prospect status. IMO if Young were a prospect of the O's, Yanks or Red Sox this forum would have already inducted Young into the HOF. As it is you have SEEN Markakis play and I am sure he is a good player, BUT you have seen Young play very little in comparison to Markakis, so I understand the bias towards Markakis. And then when you throw in the fact that Baltimore has not produced a hitting prospect since Cal Ripken well I can only imagine that maybe just maybe the O's and the Baltimore media may just have Markakis just a tad over hyped.

The Cow


What makes you think this forum is full of Oriole fans? I would bet there are more D-Ray homers on here than Oriole fans. How can you compare the "hype" around Markakis with the hype that is certainly present with Young?


I am just pointing out the North-East coast bias in this forum and I am pointing out that the O's have not had a top hitting prospect in a LONG time, so when the O's do get one in Markakis he looks that much better. I mean look at the people on Survivor, they go without chocolate and peanut butter for a few weeks and they are willing to strip naked to get some because they haven't had any in a long time. They were starving for P.B. and chocolate as Baltimore is starving for good young talent. People in Baltimore put your clothes back on, Markakis is good just not as good as Young.

The Cow


As a Devil Ray Homer i agree ;-)
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:13 pm

The Cow wrote:
You are so quick to throw insults aren't you a peach. I will say a prayer for you. I and most in this forum are far from ignorant to Markakis' prospect status. But I and most in this forum are from ignorant of Young's prospect status. IMO if Young were a prospect of the O's, Yanks or Red Sox this forum would have already inducted Young into the HOF. As it is you have SEEN Markakis play and I am sure he is a good player, BUT you have seen Young play very little in comparison to Markakis, so I understand the bias towards Markakis. And then when you throw in the fact that Baltimore has not produced a hitting prospect since Cal Ripken well I can only imagine that maybe just maybe the O's and the Baltimore media may just have Markakis just a tad over hyped.

The Cow


I am quite happy to throw out a well-earned insult, especially when someone with such a deserved reputation for silliness adds to their trophy shelf. Spare me your prayers and instead read what people have written and use your BRAIN.

ONE person argued that Markakis was better than young. Two other people said he might be better next year, but was certainly not Young's equal. I've consistently said that Young's the better prospect, but that some peoplein this thread are not giving Markakis his fair share of respect.

So, stop arguing with a phantasm of your own addled mind and dealwith the facts. The "hype" about Markakis did not come from Oriole fans on this board or Baltimore media. I pointed you and others to the facts from last spring---Sickels rating him an A- prospect, his rating on the JDM compilation of prospect ratings.

Those aren't Baltimore fans or media. They are some of the the best prospect raters in the business. And, last spring, they weren't describing Markakis as a "decent prospect" or the equivalent ofKevin Youkilis. Instead, they were describing him as a "stud" and among the 5 best OF prospects in baseball.

And again, the assessments of Markakis' initial season and what it means for his future career, are not those of Baltimore fans or media. Instead, they are the opinions of some of the most respected fantasy sites out there, like Roto Authority.

You don't like my insults? Then prove to me you actually have a working mind and deal with the realfacts and opinions of others, rather than the ones you try to make up for them. Respect is something you earn, just as much as you have earned your current reputation.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby The Cow » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:14 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Cow wrote:
You are so quick to throw insults aren't you a peach. I will say a prayer for you. I and most in this forum are far from ignorant to Markakis' prospect status. But I and most in this forum are from ignorant of Young's prospect status. IMO if Young were a prospect of the O's, Yanks or Red Sox this forum would have already inducted Young into the HOF. As it is you have SEEN Markakis play and I am sure he is a good player, BUT you have seen Young play very little in comparison to Markakis, so I understand the bias towards Markakis. And then when you throw in the fact that Baltimore has not produced a hitting prospect since Cal Ripken well I can only imagine that maybe just maybe the O's and the Baltimore media may just have Markakis just a tad over hyped.

The Cow


I am quite happy to throw out a well-earned insult, especially when someone with such a deserved reputation for silliness adds to their trophy shelf. Spare me your prayers and instead read what people have written and use your BRAIN.

ONE person argued that Markakis was better than young. Two other people said he might be better next year, but was certainly not Young's equal. I've consistently said that Young's the better prospect, but that some peoplein this thread are not giving Markakis his fair share of respect.

So, stop arguing with a phantasm of your own addled mind and dealwith the facts. The "hype" about Markakis did not come from Oriole fans on this board or Baltimore media. I pointed you and others to the facts from last spring---Sickels rating him an A- prospect, his rating on the JDM compilation of prospect ratings.

Those aren't Baltimore fans or media. They are some of the the best prospect raters in the business. And, last spring, they weren't describing Markakis as a "decent prospect" or the equivalent ofKevin Youkilis. Instead, they were describing him as a "stud" and among the 5 best OF prospects in baseball.

And again, the assessments of Markakis' initial season and what it means for his future career, are not those of Baltimore fans or media. Instead, they are the opinions of some of the most respected fantasy sites out there, like Roto Authority.

You don't like my insults? Then prove to me you actually have a working mind and deal with the realfacts and opinions of others, rather than the ones you try to make up for them. Respect is something you earn, just as much as you have earned your current reputation.


Seriously you need to look into Anger Management. Maybe you enjoy being grumpy to each his own. If I have the reputation of being silly on these boards thats fantastic because sometimes thats what I am shooting for when I post something referring to P.B. and chocolate etc. If my reputation is that of "silly" what pray tell do you think your reputation is in this forum? If you guessed knowledgable baseball fan and I am sure you did then pat yourself on the back, job well done. But the reality is that you come off as a very angry and easily irritable person if that is what you are shooting for then you are doing an excellent job. You really need to lighten up. Maybe watch an hour of Comedy Central a day.

Back to Young and Markakis the big difference between the two is that Young has the potential to put up extremely rare fantasy numbers whereas Markakis' potential is more limited. Markais might go .320/110/40/140/15 in a peak year. Young can put up the same line except that he could steal 40 bags in a peak year in addition to those other fine numbers. I am not saying either will approach these numbers this year, but down the road a bit. Yes Markakis is a fine prospect and I have never refuted that, but Young has the potential to be a truly special fantasy player. So the difference is speed, but not only speed its the ability to hit fill a 5 x 5 stat sheet. The fact that Markakis never really has shown much power except for one hot month is another reason to think Young is better. Young has shown power in the minors except for last year which is a head scratcher.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:39 am

So how about them Royals O:-) :-D ;-)
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:56 am

The Cow wrote:Seriously you need to look into Anger Management. Maybe you enjoy being grumpy to each his own. If I have the reputation of being silly on these boards thats fantastic because sometimes thats what I am shooting for when I post something referring to P.B. and chocolate etc. If my reputation is that of "silly" what pray tell do you think your reputation is in this forum? If you guessed knowledgable baseball fan and I am sure you did then pat yourself on the back, job well done. But the reality is that you come off as a very angry and easily irritable person if that is what you are shooting for then you are doing an excellent job. You really need to lighten up. Maybe watch an hour of Comedy Central a day.

Back to Young and Markakis the big difference between the two is that Young has the potential to put up extremely rare fantasy numbers whereas Markakis' potential is more limited. Markais might go .320/110/40/140/15 in a peak year. Young can put up the same line except that he could steal 40 bags in a peak year in addition to those other fine numbers. I am not saying either will approach these numbers this year, but down the road a bit. Yes Markakis is a fine prospect and I have never refuted that, but Young has the potential to be a truly special fantasy player. So the difference is speed, but not only speed its the ability to hit fill a 5 x 5 stat sheet. The fact that Markakis never really has shown much power except for one hot month is another reason to think Young is better. Young has shown power in the minors except for last year which is a head scratcher.

The Cow


Actually, the primary emphasis in your posts about Markakis has not been to say hat Markakis is a fine prospect, but to argue that he is "..so overrated.." and "over-hyped". Of course, you can't back that up with any real evidence, so you started ranting about nonsequitors like how many hitting prospects the Orioles had in the past.

You can't even be bothered to admit the truth--that it's good prospect raters and fantasy experts who hold Markakis in high regard, not some result of a starved Baltimore media and fan base.

Even now, you can't deal with the facts. "Markakis has never shown much power except for one hot month..." That ignores his minor league slugging percentage, including slugging almost .500 in his final minor league season. That doesn't match Young's power, but to describe a player with those numbers as "never showing much power" simply ignores the facts.

Almost everyone has agreed that Young has a much higher ceiling. That's never been in dispute. I argued that some people--not even you at that point--were underrating Markakis, however. You chose to jump in with one of your typical bovine rants about how Orioles fans (hmm, wonder who you were trying to address) were overrating and overhyping him.

And you say I need anger management??

Your logic and reasoning would have to increase a trillion fold before your rep would rise to the level of silly.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby acapulco » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:31 am

I've decided to take an hour out from my busy Saturday and pray for both Miss Agnes and the Cow.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 235
Joined: 8 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Hold up just a second!

There are actually Rays and Orioles fans? :-b

I think Markakis will probably be better this season coming in as a more polished player.
Image
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 668
Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Paul, MN

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:59 pm

acapulco wrote:I've decided to take an hour out from my busy Saturday and pray for both Miss Agnes and the Cow.


Can I make a prayer request?

http://www.poetrycircle.com/index.php/t ... af8fe71234
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SpecialFNK and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact