Young & Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young & Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:35 pm

jt787 wrote: in the end Markakis will be the better player.. even in 2/3 years from now

I going to have to disagree with that. Delmon Young is an amazing player much better than Markakis. The only current prospect (not counting Matsuzaka) who has close to his potenial is Alex Gordon. Delmon young is something special. He might not be worth a number 2 outfiedler this year, but two years from now he should be able to carry your team.
Last edited by thedude on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:10 pm

I dont think it is unrealistic to say that markakis will have a bigger year than delmon in 2007
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Esen » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, I think that Gordon ( I know he is 3b) has better upside then either of them; however, I think Markakis is a pure baseball player and years from now he will be considered elite.
Im still not sure what to think of young yet.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:04 am

Esen wrote:Well, I think that Gordon ( I know he is 3b) has better upside then either of them; however, I think Markakis is a pure baseball player and years from now he will be considered elite.
Im still not sure what to think of young yet.

This is the most confounding topic I've read in a while.

First Markakis has a higher ceiling than Young. Now Markakis is soo to be "elite?".

Young is the better bet of the two...this year included. But I wouldn't want either as my #2 this year.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:15 am

I have got to agree. 1/2 thru last year Markakis was WW pickup in practically any league, this year he is the 2nd coming of Joltin Joe?

I hope these people are in some of my leagues when the year starts....jeez!

I mean, really.
Markais
62 RBI
72 R
2 SB

Youkilis
13 HR
72 RBI
100 R
5 SB
?????

I see a comparable more along the lines of a Kevin Youkilis, not a once in a decade Delmon Young. Holee Shmolee.. this thread is just

WRONG
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby wake » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 am

I don't think Markakis has nearly the upside of Young but you can't compare his upside to that of Youkilis. Youkilis is 5 years older and has much less power potential than Markakis. If we just measure them by their numbers from last year than Young would have the homerun potential of Christian Guzman.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:33 am

Delmon has more upside easily, but why did he only steal 2 bases at the Major League level last year. That is worrisome to me. Anybody know why Delmon stole so few bases in the bigs last year?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:38 am

Here is a little tidbit into exactly how some of our brethren view the comparison between Delmon Young and Nick Markakis:

In the auction draft, within 15 player sof each other, Delmon went off the board at $18, and Nick is sitting there at $9.....

Holee Shmolee
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Half Massed » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:40 am

Simulacrum wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:I don't know.... 3 home runs in one game is pretty impressive! :-D

urban legend, it's never really happened

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible. This is well-documented.

Some people are really high on Markakis in this thread. He was a decent prospect going into last year, but nothing outstanding. On the other hand, outstanding is generally the word used to describe Young's talent. I don't see the comparison. I'd take Young over Markakis in every draft, although I wouldn't take either of them any kind of early.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:09 am

The Cow wrote:Delmon has more upside easily, but why did he only steal 2 bases at the Major League level last year. That is worrisome to me. Anybody know why Delmon stole so few bases in the bigs last year?

The Cow

It was due to circumstances. It seemed like when he got on there was 2 outs, or they didn't need to steal etc. Also, i think maddon wanted him to wait and see what the picthers weree doing and get a sense of the game. He seemed to do that w/Upton as well. Upton did not steal for his first couple weeks in the bigs and then all of a sudden he was running a lot. I think it had to do with coaching. I think Young will be batting 4 this year and will run, but i don't think he is gonna get the neccessary opps to get 40.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers