Young & Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young & Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Young & Markakis

Postby looptid » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:56 am

(Delmon that is.) How high are these two going to go in drafts this season? Anyone think either is worthy of being a #2 outfielder on a fantasy squad?
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jt787 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:40 am

Markakis has more upside that Young. Just because.. well young is young, and he's inexperienced at the moment. Markakis could easily hit 25 hrs, 300 avg, 90 rbis
jt787
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigken117 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 am

jt787 wrote:Markakis has more upside that Young. Just because.. well young is young, and he's inexperienced at the moment. Markakis could easily hit 25 hrs, 300 avg, 90 rbis

That has to be the first time I've ever heard someone say Markakis has more upside than Delmon Young. Granted Markakis has a 3 HR game under his belt, but in no way does he have more "upside" than Delmon Young. I would say that nobody has more upside than Delmon Young, and he will go before Markakis in 95% of all drafts this season.

Could Markakis outperform Young this season? Very much so. But he doesn't have close to Delmon's 40/40 upside.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby jt787 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:48 am

i think for delmon young to hit 20 hrs in his first year will be very unlikely. Yeah he might be useful in the Sb's dept, but i wouldnt really use him as a #2 OF. People can do whatever they want, in the end Markakis will be the better player.. even in 2/3 years from now
jt787
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:48 am

I don't know.... 3 home runs in one game is pretty impressive! :-D
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 am

jt787 wrote:Markakis has more upside that Young. Just because.. well young is young, and he's inexperienced at the moment. Markakis could easily hit 25 hrs, 300 avg, 90 rbis

:-o

I wouldn't want either being my #2. I would take Young as my #3 but I don't know that I would be very excited about that either, unless we are talking about a keeper league.

Markakis probably won't be on my team unless he wants to ride the pine, in hopes for some miracle that he does what jt787 predicted, but thats not going to happen. Markakis only hit more than 2 HR in a single month ONCE last year and that is when he went on a streak and hit 10 :-° . His other months were 2, 2, 2, 0, 0 Markakis is a solid young player but to expect much more than what he did last year would be a stretch, IMO.

But hey, thats just my opinion, everyones got one!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:32 pm

BravesGuy wrote:I don't know.... 3 home runs in one game is pretty impressive! :-D

urban legend, it's never really happened
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 pm

jt787 wrote: People can do whatever they want, in the end Markakis will be the better player.. even in 2/3 years from now

Ok I am going to bite.

What numbers do you expect from both Young and Markakis in 2009?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:12 pm

I can see for 2007 mayyyyybe Markakis over Young but not likely.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:58 pm

J35J wrote:

:-o

I wouldn't want either being my #2. I would take Young as my #3 but I don't know that I would be very excited about that either, unless we are talking about a keeper league.

Markakis probably won't be on my team unless he wants to ride the pine, in hopes for some miracle that he does what jt787 predicted, but thats not going to happen. Markakis only hit more than 2 HR in a single month ONCE last year and that is when he went on a streak and hit 10 :-° . His other months were 2, 2, 2, 0, 0 Markakis is a solid young player but to expect much more than what he did last year would be a stretch, IMO.

But hey, thats just my opinion, everyones got one!

Jason

Well, Young has pretty much out-produced Markakis at every minor league level, despite being younger, so he certainly looks much better long-term. I have some questions about whether he'll show the same dedication to improvement that Markakis has shown, but I think Young certainly has more basic talent.

However, I will take issue with this characterization of Markakis. His homer numbers last year are right in line with his minor league performance, where he pretty much always averaged 18-22 HRs per 600 ABs. I see no reason to expect his power numbers to plateau at such a young age, especially hitting in a pretty darn good HR park. In fact, it's more often the case that you'll see anything from steady improvement to a big leap forward from a player Markakis' age. 25 HRs is very possible.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers