Marcus Giles Non-tendered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles Non-tendered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:38 pm

wrveres wrote:Ok you guys realize that 80 million dollars still puts you in the top 1/3 in terms of team payroll right? How can you be bitchin'. 14 Pennants in a row and you guys are whining that the fans are getting screwed, what ever ... I'd give my left nut.

I understand that we still have a high payroll, but it wasn't always that low. The thing is, before Time Warner owned the Braves it was hovering around 100 million, then, AFTER we signed all of these big money contracts, we have to start reducing payroll, leading to breaking up our future. Thank God we have JS
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Very nice signing by the Padres at a cost of only 3.5 million. ;-D

Oh to be a day when the mighty Drays have a payroll of 80 million.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:13 pm

Did anyone really think that a group like Time Warner who is in the business of making money was gonna do it any other way? Turner wanted to win Time Warner doesn't care as long as they can cash the checks.

As Wrveres said $80 mil is still a good chunk of change to be throwing around when you look at what others are spending. Their fan's haven't supported them, the ATL is famous for that, so they can't blame it all on ownership IMO.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 467)

Postby BravesGuy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:16 am

Braves might not have given so many high dollar contracts out (or traded for ...Mike Hampton...) had they known their payroll was going from 100 million to 80 million... Just something to think about. Had the team known Time Warner were going to be so stingy with payroll their game plan might have been different.

Anyways, good luck to Marcus, hopefully he does well on the Left Coast. I'm just glad he isn't a Met.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers