Marcus Giles Non-tendered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles Non-tendered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby laxguy8947 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Sid Bream's Slide wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

:-t

The Braves need a real owner. They are in the process of getting passed from one media corporation to another.
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:12 pm

I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

WHAT?!?!?! 8-o

they won 14 division pennants in a row!!!
They routinely played playoff games to a stadium at 2/3 capacity ...

Maybe you mean, 'Talk about the fans screwing the team!!'
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 pm

wrveres wrote:I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

WHAT?!?!?! 8-o

Well, this off-season it cost them Glavine and Marcus Giles. Last off-season, it cost them a closer and, by extension, a TON of games and likely their streak. Time Warner decided about five years ago to cut the payroll by 20% and leave it there forever. This means that all of the big contracts the Braves had on the books then now eat up most of the salary. Going into next year, 80% of the Braves' money is tied up in 6-7 guys. This basically meant that Giles had to go, and it also means that LaRoche (and his paltry $3 million salary) will also probably be traded just so we have enough room to give the required raises to the non-arbitration players. Yeesh.

So yes, Mr. Veres, Time Warner is screwing Braves fans; it's Turner who got us those penants and that World Series.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby laxguy8947 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:28 pm

wrveres wrote:I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

WHAT?!?!?! 8-o

I'll agree with you that Atlanta fans aren't top notch...but what you say is a bit misleading. A) In recent years the Braves (and most other teams) have been screwed by the buisness of the Yankees and the Redsox. I can only recall one division series game in the last five years that wasn't at 1 or 4. (Game 5 agaisnt the 'stros in '04, was a sellout) And, B) 2/3 of 50,000 still isn't awful.

Braves fans were spoiled. Last five years or so division series games might as well have been regular season games. And then they never advanced to the LCS or the series.
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:12 pm

WHAT?!?!?! 8-o

I'm sorry, but what does attendance at playoff games have to do with yearly operating costs? Any playoff revenue is in addition to annual revenue and should, in effect, help next year's budget. Yet the Braves saw no increase in budget despite having made the playoffs 14 times in 15 years. In fact, the budget has been reduced.

BTW, what time were those playoff games? 8 p.m.?!? Nope. Try 1 and 4 in the afternoon on a workday. When the Yankees and Red Sox are always playing at night, some teams are forced to play afternoon games on weekdays. Kind of tough for the average fan to take a day off of work for a game that you're given just a few days notice to attend (such that meetings can be rescheduled, etc.).

The Braves have consistently drawn between 2.5 and 3 MM fans. Yet the payroll has been reduced from $100MM to $80MM and has stayed there despite increased ticket prices and revenues across the board. So the fans pay more and the team pays out less, thereby increasing the profit for the owners. By that token, yes, they are being screwed. And as someone else said, that cheapness (by Braves' standards) helped make sure that the Braves didn't make it 15 playoffs in 16 years (doubt they'd have caught the Mets - but the WC was possible with even just a real closer the first half).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Ok you guys realize that 80 million dollars still puts you in the top 1/3 in terms of team payroll right? How can you be bitchin'. 14 Pennants in a row and you guys are whining that the fans are getting screwed, what ever ... I'd give my left nut.

Damn it KT!!!!!

Just sign brother Giles already,
He just lives down the street. WTF?
Call him up, have him meet you at Starbucks, and get this done already ...

You piss me off KT
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:08 pm

Done!
Marcus Giles will be joining brother Brian in San Diego.

The second baseman has agreed to a one-year contract with a club option for 2008.

The announcement could be made as soon as this afternoon or tomorrow. Before the deal becomes official, however, Marcus Giles must complete a physical examination scheduled for this morning.

“All I can say is this is something we hope to accomplish in the next few days,” Joe Bick, the agent for the Giles brothers, said yesterday. “Our interest has been to sign with the Padres. We've been working on finalizing a deal.”

Marcus Giles will get a base salary around $3.25 million this season with incentives that could take his contract to $4.25 million. The club option for 2008 is at $4 million.

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:13 pm

wrveres wrote:Done!
Marcus Giles will be joining brother Brian in San Diego.

The second baseman has agreed to a one-year contract with a club option for 2008.

The announcement could be made as soon as this afternoon or tomorrow. Before the deal becomes official, however, Marcus Giles must complete a physical examination scheduled for this morning.

“All I can say is this is something we hope to accomplish in the next few days,” Joe Bick, the agent for the Giles brothers, said yesterday. “Our interest has been to sign with the Padres. We've been working on finalizing a deal.”

Marcus Giles will get a base salary around $3.25 million this season with incentives that could take his contract to $4.25 million. The club option for 2008 is at $4 million.

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assuming he passes his physical, this is probably the best deal of this off-season. Mark DeRossa got a bigger contract? 8-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Yoda wrote:
Assuming he passes his physical, this is probably the best deal of this off-season. Mark DeRossa got a bigger contract? 8-o

I agree, It is fricking armed robbery ..
I have a new found love for you KT, but you are still not getting a christmas card.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:26 pm

Great deal for the Pads.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers