Marcus Giles Non-tendered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles Non-tendered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:I do not understand it. Giles is a pretty darn good offensive player, still young and plays a position which does not usually come with a lot of offense.

Looking at his comps, his OPS+ through age 28 is comparable to Kent and Soriano...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/ ... =28&age=28

It isn't like he is bad but he is coming off his worst season. Most teams are already set at 2B for the next year so the market for 2B is small. Unless he can get a 2nd team to enter the fray, he doesn't have an option other than switching positions.

He's also played 3B in the minors/majors. I don't know. It is just unbelievable that Marcus Giles can't find a team that wants him while these fringe bench players are signing multi-year multi-million dollar contracts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I think Durham signed with the Giants, but Loretta is still out there too.
Yeah, you are right.

If I'm Giles I tell every team I'm a CF now and ask for $10 million a year. :-D
Dude! Atlanta should have signed him to a deal as insurance against Andruw leaving next year. *sigh* maybe they can still trade two prospects and Chuck James to get him back after he signs?
If the Braves can't afford Giles then Andruw is a goner unless the team is sold before then.
Yeah, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion. I was just playing off the "Salty/Escobar/James for Baldelli" rumor. Apperantly, the Rays won't budge on James, and there's no way the Braves give him up. I'd be fine dealing the other two, though.

Also, I'm still predicting Giles gets less than $6M per year and a contract smaller than Mark DeRosa's.

I mean, he's been in a steady decline since 2003, and last year he was pretty awful.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:34 am

San Diego Union Tribune wrote:General Manager Kevin Towers said he made a contractual offer yesterday to second baseman Marcus Giles, the former Braves regular who became a free agent on Tuesday night. The proposal is believed to be worth $3 million to $4 million.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

My gut says...

Postby Jibba » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 pm

My gut says that there is more to the reasoning behind the Braves letting Giles go... and to the reasons that teams are too anxious to sign him.

I remember hearing alot of rumors on the Giles brothers doing steroids. IF this is true, it makes sense that the Braves didn't make any effort to resign him. The Braves have a fair amount of young players in their clubhouse. Maybe they don't feel that his the type of vet that they want around... all things considered.
Other teams may be a bit scared off by his drop in performance, in light of the 'roid rumors and Giles deterioration of physical skills (and hasn't he had his fair amount of injuries?).
Jibba
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:58 pm

Yoda wrote:...why didn't ATL try to trade him to them? Baffling.

How do you know that they didn't try to trade him?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby BravesGuy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:04 am

shortsavage wrote:

I certainly don't know for sure but I've read in some articles that the Braves did try and trade him many times. I guess nobody really wanted him. JS had to have known we weren't going to offer him arbitration, so they couldn't have been asking for too much in return.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 73)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:02 pm

Looks like it's getting close

Marcus Giles close to joining Padres
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

The Giles family reunion is on.

Free-agent second baseman Marcus Giles is expected to sign with the Padres early this week, joining his older brother, right fielder Brian Giles, FOXSports.com has learned.

Marcus, 28, likely will agree to a one-year deal and possibly a club option. His salary will be significantly less than the $5.5 million that he might have earned in salary arbitration with the Braves, who declined to offer him a contract.

The short-term deal will give Marcus a chance to re-establish his value as he tries to rebound from his worst offensive season as a regular. It also gives him the opportunity to return home to San Diego and become major-league teammates with Brian, 35, for the first time.

Marcus batted .262 last season with 11 homers and 60 RBIs, struggling after the Braves moved him to the leadoff spot in place of the departed Rafael Furcal. He is a career .285 hitter with an .809 lifetime on-base/slugging percentage, healthy numbers for a second baseman.

Earlier this off-season, the Padres traded second baseman Josh Barfield to the Indians for third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and right-hander Andrew Brown. They then considered trading for Giles, but instead they will acquire him for a lower salary and without giving up a player.

The signing of Giles will enable the Padres to use Todd Walker in a utility role. Kouzmanoff is expected to platoon at third with Russell Branyan.

Link
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:34 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

I certainly don't know for sure but I've read in some articles that the Braves did try and trade him many times. I guess nobody really wanted him. JS had to have known we weren't going to offer him arbitration, so they couldn't have been asking for too much in return.
You'll note in the quoted article above that Giles is going to sign a deal worth "significantly less" than the $5.5+ million he would have been owed in arbitration. If no one wanted to pay him the amount he would have gotten in arbitration, why on earth would they give something away for the rights to do so?

Giles wasn't traded because no one wanted him for his arbitration price.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:04 am

Amazinz wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:It's amazing all the pseudo-GMs here.

Please, explain what offers the Braves turned down for Giles. Please provide one link that shows that the Braves turned down ANY offer for Giles.

Of course no one can provide concrete evidence that the Braves turned down any offers for Giles but it is definitely curious that they can trade Horrible Horatio for Soriano and can't even turn Giles into mid-level prospects. I don't buy into the notion that teams were hesitant to trade for Giles because they felt they could get him cheaper in the open market than taking him to arbitration in the worst case scenario.

Well, I will admit I was wrong. I would have thought Giles, in this market, would have commanded a salary in excess of his arb award. But if the Padres signed Giles and it was for $3-4MM, then good job by Towers and evidently there was no team willing to give even mid-level prospects because they COULD sign him for cheaper.

Which makes me think JS did the right thing (when considering the $80MM cap) in dumping him since he knew there was no market for Giles at $5.5MM.

I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

As for HoRam - based on the FA price of SP, and based on Seattle getting shut out at that time, I could see them taking a gamble on a young LH $3MM SP with a winning record (if nothing else). Yes, they gave up a lot if Soriano is healthy. But if he's throwing 91 in winter ball (as reported) and possibly hurt again, it isn't as one-sided as it seems (though still one-sided).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:I still think it is stupid for a team to operate under a $80MM budget when revenues have obviously grown in those 4 years. Talk about screwing the fans.

:-t
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers