Marcus Giles Non-tendered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles Non-tendered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:How many open 2B spots are there?

The Mets say they aren't interested. The Padres say they would be fine with Walker. The Giants and RedSox are talking about starting rookies. Toronto seems to be in the market for a 2B but that is about it. The Nats could use a 2B but other than that I'm hard pressed to come up with a team that doesn't already have their starting 2B for next year.

Plus Durham and Belliard are still FA too. :-?

I think Durham signed with the Giants, but Loretta is still out there too.

There seems to a surplus of 2B this year, with a lot of young 2B (Kendrick, Pedroia, etc.) getting the nod for next year.

It would make sense for the Padres to low ball Giles, as they could easily get Belliard or Loretta for similar and probably cheaper deals
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I think Durham signed with the Giants, but Loretta is still out there too.
Yeah, you are right.

If I'm Giles I tell every team I'm a CF now and ask for $10 million a year. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I think Durham signed with the Giants, but Loretta is still out there too.
Yeah, you are right.

Dude! Atlanta should have signed him to a deal as insurance against Andruw leaving next year. *sigh* maybe they can still trade two prospects and Chuck James to get him back after he signs?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yeah, you are right.

Dude! Atlanta should have signed him to a deal as insurance against Andruw leaving next year. *sigh* maybe they can still trade two prospects and Chuck James to get him back after he signs?
If the Braves can't afford Giles then Andruw is a goner unless the team is sold before then.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:12 pm

I do not understand it. Giles is a pretty darn good offensive player, still young and plays a position which does not usually come with a lot of offense.

Looking at his comps, his OPS+ through age 28 is comparable to Kent and Soriano...

Baseball Reference
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:27 pm

Yoda wrote:I do not understand it. Giles is a pretty darn good offensive player, still young and plays a position which does not usually come with a lot of offense.

Looking at his comps, his OPS+ through age 28 is comparable to Kent and Soriano...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/ ... =28&age=28

It isn't like he is bad but he is coming off his worst season. Most teams are already set at 2B for the next year so the market for 2B is small. Unless he can get a 2nd team to enter the fray, he doesn't have an option other than switching positions.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Yesterday Minaya said they would consider him. Today it was reported that they were not interested. Who knows. But I think that if you can potentially sign Giles for a $5M base with incentives you have to be a little interested. Never been a big fan of Giles for obvious reasons but he would grow me. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yesterday Minaya said they would consider him. Today it was reported that they were not interested. Who knows. But I think that if you can potentially sign Giles for a $5M base with incentives you have to be a little interested. Never been a big fan of Giles for obvious reasons but he would grow me. :-D

He would grow you? Give you lots of sunshine and water and love??? :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:47 pm

Quit harshing my mellow. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:Quit harshing my mellow. ;-)

Ewww. :-P :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers