Marcus Giles Non-tendered - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcus Giles Non-tendered

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:It is amazing that MLB is flush with cash and yet the Braves payroll has stayed at $80M for 4+ years now, despite getting close to $70M alone in revenue just from MLB national TV rights and tickets sales (2.4 million tix at $17/average ticket price + $25M in revenue from the new TV contract and MLB.com). Throw in local rights fees for TV and radio and all revenue from parking, concessions, memorabilia, ads, etc. and I'd be pretty pissed to be a Braves fan right now that they wouldn't allow JS to go above $80M at all in the hopes that they could trade Giles during ST to get below $80M.
Honestly, I'm more pissed that we were unable to sign Glavine, pretty much for the same reasons you talked about. Heck, we weren't even able to say something likey, "Tommy, once we get payroll cleared, we'll give you a deal worth $7 million, how's that sound?" or the like.

Screw you, Liberty Media. :-t
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:It's amazing all the pseudo-GMs here.

Please, explain what offers the Braves turned down for Giles. Please provide one link that shows that the Braves turned down ANY offer for Giles.

It's really not that amazing. This is a sports forum after all. Being an armchair GM is part of the fun. !+)

Of course no one can provide concrete evidence that the Braves turned down any offers for Giles but it is definitely curious that they can trade Horrible Horatio for Soriano and can't even turn Giles into mid-level prospects. I don't buy into the notion that teams were hesitant to trade for Giles because they felt they could get him cheaper in the open market than taking him to arbitration in the worst case scenario.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:It's really not that amazing. This is a sports forum after all. Being an armchair GM is part of the fun. !+)

Of course no one can provide concrete evidence that the Braves turned down any offers for Giles but it is definitely curious that they can trade Horrible Horatio for Soriano and can't even turn Giles into mid-level prospects. I don't buy into the notion that teams were hesitant to trade for Giles because they felt they could get him cheaper in the open market than taking him to arbitration in the worst case scenario.
Well, HoRam is cheap and has showed signs of being decent when he wasn't hurt. He's locked up for I think another 4 years, and hey, he's a left-handed pitcher, so he'll be getting paid even if he posts a 5.50 ERA. :-D

Apperantly the baseball concencus is that Giles is past his prime and isn't worth the amount he'd be getting in arbitration. Very disappointing if you're a Braves fan.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said yesterday that he could have acquired Braves second baseman Marcus Giles last month if he had been willing to trade reliever Scott Linebrink. Towers held onto Linebrink and now has a chance to sign Giles without trading anybody and for less than what Giles would have cost the Braves.

“Marcus was probably the guy we were most focused on in our search for a second baseman,” Towers said yesterday. “We just didn't want to give up Linebrink. Now if we can make this happen and be able to retain Liney, we'd be happy.”

The Padres don't have to worry about Giles taking them to arbitration. He will either come to terms with them or not. Towers said he plans to talk with Giles' agent, Joe Bick, today.

“We're not desperate,” Towers said. “The deal would have to be right. If the deal doesn't work out, we still would be comfortable with Walker.”
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby laxguy8947 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Dawgpound got it right. I wish Arthur Blank (Home Depot/Atl Falcs) would step up and but the Braves away from these dam media conglomerates.
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:16 pm

wrveres wrote:Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said yesterday that he could have acquired Braves second baseman Marcus Giles last month if he had been willing to trade reliever Scott Linebrink. Towers held onto Linebrink and now has a chance to sign Giles without trading anybody and for less than what Giles would have cost the Braves.

“Marcus was probably the guy we were most focused on in our search for a second baseman,” Towers said yesterday. “We just didn't want to give up Linebrink. Now if we can make this happen and be able to retain Liney, we'd be happy.”

The Padres don't have to worry about Giles taking them to arbitration. He will either come to terms with them or not. Towers said he plans to talk with Giles' agent, Joe Bick, today.

“We're not desperate,” Towers said. “The deal would have to be right. If the deal doesn't work out, we still would be comfortable with Walker.”

This could not have worked out more perfectly for the Pads. I was sure that Towers would dangle Linebrink which would have been a decent deal but now it's just ridiculously good.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
wrveres wrote:Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said yesterday that he could have acquired Braves second baseman Marcus Giles last month if he had been willing to trade reliever Scott Linebrink. Towers held onto Linebrink and now has a chance to sign Giles without trading anybody and for less than what Giles would have cost the Braves.

This could not have worked out more perfectly for the Pads. I was sure that Towers would dangle Linebrink which would have been a decent deal but now it's just ridiculously good.

I agree.

I remember a few weeks ago, I had no problems shipping off Linebrink for Giles. Obviouslly thats why I am not the GM. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:22 pm

I knew the Braves would blow it. After great deals, one after the other, and addressing the one major problem they had they go and make one of the dumbest moves of the offseason.

Giles is a solid player and repordedly only wanted around 6-7 mil per year (deserves more). Will be scooped up, likely by the Padres to play along Brian very soon.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:33 pm

Zito is God wrote:I knew the Braves would blow it. After great deals, one after the other, and addressing the one major problem they had they go and make one of the dumbest moves of the offseason.

You honestly think this is one of the dumbest moves of the off season?
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:48 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I knew the Braves would blow it. After great deals, one after the other, and addressing the one major problem they had they go and make one of the dumbest moves of the offseason.

You honestly think this is one of the dumbest moves of the off season?

Well, Meche was bad, padilla was bad, Lilly was bad, Marquis was bad/unecessary, Eaton was bad, there are many others probobly that I can't think of.

However, simply letting a guy go without trading him and at least getting something back for him is bad. Letting a guy go who is good in the clubhouse and popular with the fans is bad. Letting a guy go who was asking below what the market would pay for him is bad. Letting a guy go who fit perfectly into that system is bad.

I don't know where I rank this on the stupidity chart, but something tells me I'd rather have my team sign someone stupid then let someone good go.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers