Jason Jennings to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Jennings to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Can we ban ACS for making homosexual advances at another site member? :*)

Is that what that "Bandolier of Carrots" thing means?

ewww :-P

Bandolier of Carrots is from woot...wiki it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PhiSlammaJamma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Yoda wrote:Any Astros fans hear about this deal? Why did they sour on Hirsh? He seems like he will turn out to be a pretty good pitcher.

I know Garner has been less than amazed by Hirsch and I think some of it goes back to last spring training when Hirsch stunk it up that and when he was called up he couldn't keep the ball in the park as he gave up I think 11 hr in his 9 starts, that and I think the team is higher on Albers and Patton than they were Hirsch.
PhiSlammaJamma
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ensanimal » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:58 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
JTWood wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Jennings is better then meche...Jennings pitched in coors during the helium ball days

Quit mincing your words. Do you think this is a good deal for the Rockies or not?

Jennings is better then Meche.

But Taveras, Hirsh, and Bucholz are better then Jennings

I'm still confused. You haven't mentioned your feelings once yet in this entire thread. I'm pinning you down. Do you like this deal or not?

How can you not. The guy is 6'8".

What were the Astros thinking? :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:12 pm

This isn't the NFL just cause Hirsh failed in his initial major league stint doesn't mean much.

Now if he was the QB for a football team he'd be gone after 1 game. But this is baseball where players grow
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PhiSlammaJamma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:This isn't the NFL just cause Hirsh failed in his initial major league stint doesn't mean much.

Now if he was the QB for a football team he'd be gone after 1 game. But this is baseball where players grow

They might end up regretting it, but I can understand that the Astro's didn't want to go into the season with Roy and Woody 1 2 and then have all there prospects compete for 3-5 and expect to compete and they feel like Jennings will excel here.
PhiSlammaJamma
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daullaz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:22 pm

PhiSlammaJamma wrote:
acsguitar wrote:This isn't the NFL just cause Hirsh failed in his initial major league stint doesn't mean much.

They might end up regretting it, but I can understand that the Astro's didn't want to go into the season with Roy and Woody 1 2 and then have all there prospects compete for 3-5 and expect to compete and they feel like Jennings will excel here.

I have a better solution. Instead of trading one of your top future arms, why don't you give Andy that extra $2 million, or even that second year on a contract offer? If this is the price you pay for replacing Pettitte, I'd much rather have the guy back for a little more than what they wanted to pay.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby PhiSlammaJamma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 pm

daullaz wrote:I have a better solution. Instead of trading one of your top future arms, why don't you give Andy that extra $2 million, or even that second year on a contract offer? If this is the price you pay for replacing Pettitte, I'd much rather have the guy back for a little more than what they wanted to pay.
I would rather have Andy back but I think he ultimately wanted to go back to New York. Regardless I actually think both sides win this deal the Astro's get a durable innings eater that should fare better away from Coor's and with a better infield defense and free up a spot in the lineup for Burke and eventually Pence. While the Rox get a poor mans Pierre and Hirsch a pitching prospect who could develop into a nice #2 pitcher.
PhiSlammaJamma
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daullaz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:14 pm

Let Hirsh be a durable innings eater with the potential to be more.

You get Jennings for one year. If you're lucky, you sign him to a Meche-style extension (a Mechetension?) I don't know how much Hirsh is going to make over his arbitration years, but it sure won't be $55 million. With the money you save by plugging a cheap Hirsh into the rotation this year, you're able to go out into the free agent market next year and sign a decent SP. Like maybe Jason Jennings. I hear he's decent.

Keep Jason Hirsh and still get Jason Jennings or a similar player? Brilliant!
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers