Jason Jennings to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Jennings to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:38 pm

Nice deal for the Rocks. I think Jennings is at best an average ML SP. I would think Jennings is below average. This deal gets me thinking about another SP who is a FA after this year, Jake Wesbrook. If the Rocks can get this for Jennings then the Tribe should be able to get more for Westbrook. Sweet! Westbrook is superior to Jennings IMO, but the Tribe could contend if their patchwork bullpen holds up and then Westbrook might not be dealt.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:47 pm

:-t :-t :-t
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Diamond Miners » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 am

acsguitar wrote:he's 6'8 and was 13-2 last year in AAA with a 2.10 era...wowo what a great deal for the Rox's happy dance!! ;-D

That's even more amazing if you know the PCL is a hitters league.

eftda wrote:Pettite did have his worst season as an Astro in 2006. I can't blame them for wanting to get a discount.

yeah considering 16 games after the post season he threw for a 2.80ERA .249BAA with a 3:1 K/BB ratio. That's very poor. Almost so poor they got close to making the playoffs once he finally came around.

But yes, this is an aweful trade for the Astros.

PhiSlammaJamma wrote:This trade actually makes alot of sense for the Astro's as Willy T is vastly overrated he has nice speed and great defensive cf but has shown no progress at the plate whatsoever and he can't use his speed if he doesn't get on base. Secondly Bucholz projects best as a long inning reliever not a sp. The real prize if there is a prize is Hirsch who has looked great in the Minors but showed absolutely nothing when he was called up, now that might change as Hirsch is still young and has had limited mlb experience.

Yes, he's overrated. But Pierre has issues getting on base but look at him. Look at Reyes, it took him how long to finally get to a nice avg. Ok so he steals more bases, not the point. Part of it is, his trade value. They could have gotten more. But they jumped to soon...or to late perhaps. He pitched 9 games in the Majors. You can hardly base numbers on that many games. Heck, look at Santana, a rule 5 pick. On the other hand, look at Felix last year. Everybody over drafted him in fantasy leagues and he bombed in 2005.

PhiSlammaJamma wrote:While the Astro's get a proven commodity in Jennings who should actually fare better in Houston with a better infield defense as a groundball pitcher, while Acensio is a throw in it can't hurt getting him as well. While trading away Willy T frees up CF for Burke to get regular playing time and eventually will make way for Pence as well.

Actually Acensio I believe has armo issues and will not be healthy enough to make a difference in this trade. So he's already a wash. But you don't know what Pence will do. And Burke was no better then Willy T just with less stolen bases.
Last edited by Diamond Miners on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:03 am

I'll take the Rockies here. Hirsh is a really nice prospect. Jennings is OK but he just turned down a 3 year, $24 offer from the Rockies so I would be surprised if he signed with the Astros for less. Tavares isn't anything more than a 4th OF IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 am

This is a great deal for the Rockies. I just one to ask one question, when did Jason Jennings get so good? I mean, I would think Hirsh for Jennings would be bad for the 'Stros.
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 am

Can't say I understand this at all from Houston's perspective. :-?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 am

for all you guys that says JJ is a proven commodity...

He's not
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PhiSlammaJamma » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:30 am

Diamond Miners wrote:Yes, he's overrated. But Pierre has issues getting on base but look at him. Look at Reyes, it took him how long to finally get to a nice avg. Ok so he steals more bases, not the point. Part of it is, his trade value. They could have gotten more. But they jumped to soon...or to late perhaps. He pitched 9 games in the Majors. You can hardly base numbers on that many games. Heck, look at Santana, a rule 5 pick. On the other hand, look at Felix last year. Everybody over drafted him in fantasy leagues and he bombed in 2005.

Both those guys have shown that they can hit for power while Willy has shown that he can't hit for power and yes Juan Pierre is vastly overrated while Reyes proved to be more than just a speed guy. Hirsch could turn out to be great but he could also be a bust and continue his trend of giving up alot of HR's and the Astro's could not go in to the season with Roy and Woody and then a bunch of ?'s, so Jennings made sense.

Diamond Miners wrote:Actually Acensio I believe has armo issues and will not be healthy enough to make a difference in this trade. So he's already a wash. But you don't know what Pence will do. And Burke was no better then Willy T just with less stolen bases.
Burke was and is a better offensive player than Willy T and with incosistent playing time as burke has more power and gets on base more. Pence is an unknown but I would take him over Willy T. You also have to understand Houston had the worst lineup last year and any way we can improve that is a plus.
PhiSlammaJamma
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:32 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:for all you guys that says JJ is a proven commodity...

He's not

He is proven... mediocrity. He had one good season but his career ERA is barely league average. Still better than Meche tho...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:45 am

I love the Taveras overrated talk its great.

he's an above average CF'er

He steal 30+ bases each year.

He was almost rookie of the year two years ago.

This year is his 2nD!!! season he batted 278 for an astros team that showed little faith in him.

The astos offense was awful last year therefore his stats probably would have been better on ANY other decent team.

He's 25!!!

Geez..this overrated talk is stupid...its not like the rox's paid for him.

He and 2 other decent players for JJ..

thats a great deal
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers