Jason Jennings to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Jennings to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:05 pm

Great move for the Rockies...as a Cubs fan, I love it when the Central becomes worse.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby orange12 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:17 pm

Even if both Buchholz and Hirsh follow the same career arc as Jennings (perennial ERAs between 4.50 and 5 for the next few seasons), the Astros still don't break even unless Jennings proves last year wasn't a fluke AND they manage to resign him to an extension. This is a tough trade for Houston to say the least.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm still baffled by this move. I think the Astros soured on Hirsh when he joined the big league team and gave up 11 taters... That is the only thing I can think of but he only gave up 5 HRs all season at Round Rock which is not easy to do.

I also find it funny that one of Hirsh's comps so far is none other than... yep you guessed it. Jennings:

http://firstinning.com/players/Jason-Hirsh-471/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:31 pm

Thats a cool site! I played ball with this kid last year.

http://firstinning.com/players/Brad-Stiles-460/
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:42 pm

BigLebowski wrote:Is Hirsh ready to be a #2 next year? I don't think so.

i believe he'll at least be equivalent to jennings for the second half of 2007, 2008 at the latest.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:58 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
noseeum wrote:
J35J wrote:What do we know......

Jennings is a solid, slightly above avg MLB pitcher

for

an avg at best OFer in Taveras and 2 pitching PROSPECTS...... what does this mean..... 2 guys you don't have any idea on how they will turn out.

Its funny how people judge trades as soon as they are made when prospects are involved. As of right now the 'stros win because you know what you have right now. You can't say the Rockies win until about 2009. So yeah, if the 'stros can get Jennings to resign with them then its not bad at all, IMO.

Jason

I think you're selling these prospects short. They're both major league ready and both pitched in September last year, so we're definitely not talking 2009 for them. We're talking 2007.

You need to include Pettite in this deal if you want to fully evaluate it. Would you rather have Pettite, Tavaras, Hirsh and Buchholz, or Jennings for one year and $8 million you're not going to spend?

This such an awesome awesome deal

You are so excited about this deal, but what do you see the Rockie rotation looking like next season. Buckholtz is garbage IMO. Is Hirsh ready to be a #2 next year? I don't think so.

Rockies cashed in on Jennings' one good season. Furthermore, his peripherals suggest that he won't keep his ERA under 3.78 again:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jennija01.shtml
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby daullaz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:11 pm

I think it's important to point out something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The Astros also got Miguel Ascensio. That's Miguel Ascensio AND Jason Jennings for two prospects and an overrated Tavares.

j/k Purpura :-t

The only way the Astros can come out close to even is if they sign Jennings to a reasonable extension. Forget whether or not Hirsh or Buchholz will be as good as or better than Jennings. Have you seen the FA market for mediocre pitchers? Jennings would have gotten the 5/55 that Meche got if he was on the open market. Unless the 'Stros extend Jennings for a reasonable amount (which isn't 11/m a year), why give up those years of cheap pitching from Hirsh and Buchholz regardless of performance?

I'd rather pay Hirsh and Buchholz a combined 15-20 million (rough estimate) over six years to be mediocre or slightly above than pay Jennings 5.5 million for one year to be good or 50 million for five years to be mediocre or slightly above.

I hope I didn't confuse you, but I think you know what I'm getting at. Unproven or not, I would definitely rather have the Rox side of this deal at this point.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 pm

Good job Rockies. I like Jennings, but his track record of mediocrity is not worth good pitching prospects and a decent center fielder. I understand Taverez was expendable, but still.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:50 pm

I know the market for starting pitchers are very high right now, but all that yound talent for a mediocre pitcher who has had one good season and is a free agent next year? i think not. Well im glad that they got Hirsh out of the NL central.

Bad move 'stros, great trade for the Rocks.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby PhiSlammaJamma » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:00 pm

This trade actually makes alot of sense for the Astro's as Willy T is vastly overrated he has nice speed and great defensive cf but has shown no progress at the plate whatsoever and he can't use his speed if he doesn't get on base. Secondly Bucholz projects best as a long inning reliever not a sp. The real prize if there is a prize is Hirsch who has looked great in the Minors but showed absolutely nothing when he was called up, now that might change as Hirsch is still young and has had limited mlb experience.

While the Astro's get a proven commodity in Jennings who should actually fare better in Houston with a better infield defense as a groundball pitcher, while Acensio is a throw in it can't hurt getting him as well. While trading away Willy T frees up CF for Burke to get regular playing time and eventually will make way for Pence as well.

But this trade really hinges on Hirsch vs. Jennings and there are no guarantees as to how it will turn out.
PhiSlammaJamma
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers