True three outcome player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

True three outcome player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

True three outcome player?

Postby Maow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Somebody please explain exactly what this means?
Maow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 22
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 pm

i really have no idea what you're talking about.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby Maow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:23 pm

I've seen the term applied to a lot of developing prospects on certain sites and just couldn't exactly put it together myself?
Maow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 22
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i really have no idea what you're talking about.


what he said^

where did you hear this term?
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1144
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vermont

Postby Pokey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Maow wrote:I've seen the term applied to a lot of developing prospects on certain sites and just couldn't exactly put it together myself?


three outcome? Are you talking about tools? As in, "he's a three tool player" or a "five tool player" ?
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1144
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vermont

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:27 pm

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... icleid=724

"We are members of the Rob Deer Fan Club. And we are here to tell you that the Revolution has begun. The Revolution that will spread the Gospel of the Three True Outcomes to every man, woman and child on Earth.

What are the Three True Outcomes, you ask? They are:


The Home Run, the weapon with which we fight the evil legions of Little Ball.

The Strikeout, a symbol of our refusal to compromise.

The Base on Balls, which brings balance to our cause.
Together, the Three True Outcomes distill the game to its essence, the battle of pitcher against hitter, free from the distractions of the defense, the distortion of foot speed or the corruption of managerial tactics like the bunt and his wicked brother, the hit-and-run. "




Google search does wonders.......


Jason
Last edited by J35J on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:29 pm

yeah tools is a commonly used phrase to describe what skills a player possesses.

1- hitting for average
2- hitting for power
3- speed
4- fielding
5- arm


pretty sure those are the 5.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby Maow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:29 pm

I am glad that it is not just me. I was feeling like an idiot!
I cannot remember where it was (and therefore who used it), but Billy Rowell was one of the players that they were talking about?
Maow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 22
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:30 pm

J35J wrote:"We are members of the Rob Deer Fan Club. And we are here to tell you that the Revolution has begun. The Revolution that will spread the Gospel of the Three True Outcomes to every man, woman and child on Earth.

What are the Three True Outcomes, you ask? They are:


The Home Run, the weapon with which we fight the evil legions of Little Ball.

The Strikeout, a symbol of our refusal to compromise.

The Base on Balls, which brings balance to our cause.
Together, the Three True Outcomes distill the game to its essence, the battle of pitcher against hitter, free from the distractions of the defense, the distortion of foot speed or the corruption of managerial tactics like the bunt and his wicked brother, the hit-and-run. "




Google search does wonders.......


Jason



This is now my favorite thing. How I pine for Mark Bellhorn circa 2004!
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1144
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vermont

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Maow wrote:I am glad that it is not just me. I was feeling like an idiot!
I cannot remember where it was (and therefore who used it), but Billy Rowell was one of the players that they were talking about?


It would mean that the player in question was a similar type of player to McGwire in his prime, or Dunn today, ie, lots of homers, lots of walks, lots of strikeouts, a relatively low BA but a decent OBP.
Image
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5223
Joined: 5 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact