Bagwell set to officially retire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bagwell set to officially retire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby orange12 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:36 pm

Bagwell is a solid first ballot HOFer. The only thing that might hurt his chances is the fact that he played right through the heart of the Steroids Era and came out with less than 500 HR. But ultimately, I think the voters will enshrine him simply because he was one of the best among his peers and equally as good compared to the legends of the past.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Congrats on your great career Jeff. Too bad it had to end so soon.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby decoy562 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:19 am

thanks for the memories Bags...
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hooligan1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am

I think he is a HOFer, but probably not 1st ballot. I think Gammons and most of the ESPN guys like him, as well as Rosenthal and I'm guessing the Astro's beat writers. I think though that a lot of voters will penalize him for A.) his numbers not being quite huge enough to make him a Hall-lock and B.) playing during the steroid era and there being some suspicion about Bags himself.

Only player in MLB history to have six straight seasons of at least 30 homers, 100 RBI's, 100 runs and 100 walks. Career BA of .297. Rookie of the Year. MVP. Gold Glove. Multiple Silver Sluggers. No less and expert than Bill James lists Bagwell as the fourth best 1st Baseman of all-time.

I feel the fact that he was a great mix of contact, power, base-running prowess, on-base percentage and solid defense makes up for the fact that his career numbers, on whole, aren't perhaps as overwhelming as some HOFer's. Also the fact that he played his entire major-league career for one team, has to count for something.

In addition, I think he must be among the career leaders in stolen bases for 1st basemen (202), although I can't find any site to confirm this.

One of my all-time faves! Thanks Jeff!! Enjoy your retirement.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:17 pm

hooligan1 wrote:I think he is a HOFer, but probably not 1st ballot. I think Gammons and most of the ESPN guys like him, as well as Rosenthal and I'm guessing the Astro's beat writers. I think though that a lot of voters will penalize him for A.) his numbers not being quite huge enough to make him a Hall-lock and B.) playing during the steroid era and there being some suspicion about Bags himself.

Only player in MLB history to have six straight seasons of at least 30 homers, 100 RBI's, 100 runs and 100 walks. Career BA of .297. Rookie of the Year. MVP. Gold Glove. Multiple Silver Sluggers. No less and expert than Bill James lists Bagwell as the fourth best 1st Baseman of all-time.

I feel the fact that he was a great mix of contact, power, base-running prowess, on-base percentage and solid defense makes up for the fact that his career numbers, on whole, aren't perhaps as overwhelming as some HOFer's. Also the fact that he played his entire major-league career for one team, has to count for something.

In addition, I think he must be among the career leaders in stolen bases for 1st basemen (202), although I can't find any site to confirm this.

solid post hooligan, and I agree wholeheartedly.

gonna miss Bagwell. He was always my 1B target, even if I had to overpay :,-(
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:19 pm

wrveres wrote:
hooligan1 wrote:I think he is a HOFer, but probably not 1st ballot. I think Gammons and most of the ESPN guys like him, as well as Rosenthal and I'm guessing the Astro's beat writers. I think though that a lot of voters will penalize him for A.) his numbers not being quite huge enough to make him a Hall-lock and B.) playing during the steroid era and there being some suspicion about Bags himself.

solid post hooligan, and I agree wholeheartedly.

gonna miss Bagwell. He was always my 1B target, even if I had to overpay :,-(

Ditto on all accounts :,-(
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1440)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers