Rangers Land Gagne - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers Land Gagne

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby greenandgold » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Matthias wrote:
BritSox wrote:Still don't see your point here. Do you mean that the Rangers were willing to spend more money, because they didn't need to? :-? Or that they could somehow have gotten him for less than others were willing to spend?

Kind of. It's weird, I know.

But in the Sox case specifically, they're bumping up very close to the salary cap right now. So if they signed Gagne around what he was asking, that would be their closer. Or at least that would have to be the off-season closer move. And if he was just terrible, they've jeoparadized not only their money but also potentially their season.

With the Rangers on the other hand, they have the luxury of having Otsuka there already. So if Gagne looks terrible, it's not a tragedy. They're still ok in that department. And if he does look good, then they have the luxury of being able to trade away one of two very good closers. For probably a really good return.

Basically, the money for Gagne was too rich for anyone who absolutely needed performance to take a flyer on him. But it's an ok gamble if you have a backup plan.

Sometimes I get the feeling that if I look through enough threads, ANY side of ANY signing/trade can be argued. Not sure I agree with your point here but at least you brought some thought to the table.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:41 pm

acsguitar wrote:Its a risky decision and considering the Rangers aren't gonna make the playoffs anyways I'm not sure if its worth it

The Rangers could easily pull a White Sox 2005 or a Tigers 2006. Plus, the AL West isn't a great division and it will be even weaker than it has been in the past. To say that a pretty good team isn't going to make the playoffs when they easily could is a foolish statement.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Its a risky decision and considering the Rangers aren't gonna make the playoffs anyways I'm not sure if its worth it

The Rangers could easily pull a White Sox 2005 or a Tigers 2006. Plus, the AL West isn't a great division and it will be even weaker than it has been in the past. To say that a pretty good team isn't going to make the playoffs when they easily could is a foolish statement.

Very surprising since ACS never makes foolish statements.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

The white sox and the tigers had starting pitching.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:55 pm

I am pretty sure Gagne had a ligament taken from one part of his body and put into his arm or elbow. Could be wrong on this.

I do know for a fact, however, that he did say after he went on the DL for the final time last year that he could not feel his arm and he would have to learn to pitch without having any feeling.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Phatferd wrote:I am pretty sure Gagne had a ligament taken from one part of his body and put into his arm or elbow. Could be wrong on this.

I do know for a fact, however, that he did say after he went on the DL for the final time last year that he could not feel his arm and he would have to learn to pitch without having any feeling.

Yeah. People love looking at upside but in this case, I just don't see how Gagne will come back like he used to be. He's tried to come back so many times already and flamed out pretty quickly.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

The white sox and the tigers had starting pitching.

So could/do the Rangers...

Kevin Millwood
Vicente Padilla
Robinson Tejeda
Edinson Volquez
John Koronka
John Rheinecker
Kameron Loe
John Danks
Thomas Diamond
Nick Masset
Eric Hurley

The Tigers had a similar makeup prior to the 2006 season. Verlander was a rookie, Maroth & Robertson are far from great, Rogers is an old man, and Bonderman had a breakout season. The Rangers have a lot of offense and in the AL West that pitching depth and talent could easily win the much weaker West. Of course, if the Rangers sign another vet arm that completly blows what you just said out of the water.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
In their defense, they are paying A-Rod around $9M this season to not play for them.

Haha...and worth every penny! I'd be inclined to pay his whole salary to not play for us!
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 pm

John Bonzo wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
In their defense, they are paying A-Rod around $9M this season to not play for them.

Haha...and worth every penny! I'd be inclined to pay his whole salary to not play for us!

Spoken like a true Texas Ranges owner/GM. :-D
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Half Massed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:09 pm

I think it's a good signing. If Gagne can stay reasonably healthy, the Rangers bullpen becomes quite good. Given their lack of starting pitching, being able to go to the pen early and often will be of great help.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers