Rangers Land Gagne - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers Land Gagne

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:26 pm

BritSox wrote:Because you suggested there was an alternative, ie, spending the money on 'someone to build around,' and suggested an SP. I asked, not unreasonably, who exactly they could get for that little money and that few years.

You could have spent 55M on Meche :-B
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:29 pm

The Rangers were negotiating from a position of strength. They have a solid closer. The Gagne deal should have been a Frank Thomas circa 2006 contract -- $1MM base loaded with myriad performance/playing time incentives. In Gagne's case, for example, perhaps $1MM for every 10 innings pitched. That (plus the base) would take him to that $8MM if he pitched 70 innings. Fair enough, I guess.

I can't believe I just typed (with a straight face, nonetheless) $1 million per 10 innings of work by a fat guy with arm and back problems who has pitched 15 innings in the last 2 years.

Ahhh, capitalism.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm

d18Mike wrote:The Rangers were negotiating from a position of strength. They have a solid closer. The Gagne deal should have been a Frank Thomas circa 2006 contract -- $1MM base loaded with myriad performance/playing time incentives. In Gagne's case, for example, perhaps $1MM for every 10 innings pitched. That (plus the base) would take him to that $8MM if he pitched 70 innings. Fair enough, I guess.

I can't believe I just typed (with a straight face, nonetheless) $1 million per 10 innings of work by a fat guy with arm and back problems who has pitched 15 innings in the last 2 years.

Ahhh, capitalism.

Except that their position wasn't that strong, as there were several other bidders. He had already apparently rejected an offer of $6m guaranteed with incentives to $10m.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby blankman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Just glad to see he's not going to Boston.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Rangers Land Gagne

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:From Montreal

Article in French

Translated
Several teams of major baseball courted Éric Gagné during last weeks, but with the wire of arrival, Rangers of Texas knew to be shown more convincing than the others. The Newspaper of Montreal learned yesterday that the raising device mascouchois concluded an agreement from one season - of a guaranteed value of 8 million - with this formation of the American League. Gained and its agent Scott Boras had established channels of communication with Dodgers of Los Angeles, Giants of San Francisco, Indians of Cleveland, Red Sox of Boston and Rangers during last ten days. And quickly, it became clearly that the shortage of raising devices number one on the market as well as the boom without precedent which crosses major baseball were going to cause a not very banal higher bid. In the beginning, Gagné sought guaranteed wages of six million together with clauses of assiduity to the play which can bring back five additional million to him, which would have in end of line equalized the 11 million that it had boxed at Dodgers last season. Last Friday, whereas Boras was of passage in Texas, Rangers managed to take the initiative in the race with obtaining more intimidating elevating baseball. Up to that point, Indians of Cleveland were clearly at the head. Highly impressed by their presentation, it was then on the point of moving its home in Ohio. Interesting bet The 31 year old raising device, which launched only 15 handles and two thirds during two last seasons because of two surgical operations to the elbow and another intervention aiming at stopping a slipped disc, finally obtained eight guaranteed million on behalf of Rangers. To this sum also clauses of assiduity are added to the play, according to information's obtained. Gained will have to subject itself to a medical examination to officialize this agreement, whose advertisement is imminent. This pact seems surrealist, but it is only the faithful reflection of the market. The owners are far from making pity in this history. The annual incomes of major baseball passed from 3,7 to 5,2 billion during three last years and all the teams have much money to spend in the hope to improve their output on the ground. In addition, all the formations which negotiated with Gagné had in hand its complete medical assessment. The slipped discs almost became of the current wounds in the world of the professional sport and the intervention with the back undergone by Gagné hardly seemed to cause of concern near the general managers. As for its operations with the right elbow, they had been caused by the displacement and the irritation of a nerve which had nothing to do with its mechanics of launcher. Green light of the doctors It is in this context which several general managers concluded that a setting on Gagné constituted an interesting bet. In 2002, 2003 and 2004, the Inhabitant of Quebec proved one of the most dominant artillerists of the history of baseball, withdrawing 390 strikers on catches and granting only 62 goals on balls in 262 handles and a third. For a few weeks, the launcher of Mascouche has started again to launch at a distance of 45 feet. It says more not to feel the effects of the two undergone surgical operations last summer. The doctors in addition gave him the permission to start again to practise the golf, the activity which had probably been at the origin of its slipped disc. Will Rangers win to them bet? It well rather quickly will be known. Gained, seems to him convinced that yes.

no wonder nobody can understand Canadians ..

Decent Signing by Texas ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby d18Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:45 pm

They were operating from a position of strength. Unless they know something about Otsuka's arm/potential that we don't, they have a solid closer.

If indeed Ostuka is closing, $8MM seems like an incredibly high price to pay for a injury-ravaged set-up guy. But they seemed convined he's healthy. It's a gamble. and I guess if you have the mney, why not.

I wish him well. Great pitcher. But he's held together with Elmer's glue.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:47 pm

blankman wrote:Just glad to see he's not going to Boston.

Makes two of us.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DSheppard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:09 pm

gagne-otsuka-littleton is a dominant 7-8-9 if gagne is 75% of his good years.

people need to be aware of littleton.. 4 extra base hits against him in 37 innings pitched last year.. 1.67 era. crazy delivery with better stuff then those kind of guys ever have.

and then frankie francisco (who is getting his velocity back now), CJ wilson, Nick Masset.... the rangers could have a great bullpen.

or if the right offer comes by for aki, you can take that and reinforce a weakness. if they cant get zito they will probably try to package someone with aki for a legit starter.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:11 pm

DSheppard wrote:gagne-otsuka-littleton is a dominant 7-8-9 if gagne is 75% of his good years.

people need to be aware of littleton.. 4 extra base hits against him in 37 innings pitched last year.. 1.67 era. crazy delivery with better stuff then those kind of guys ever have.

and then frankie francisco (who is getting his velocity back now), CJ wilson, Nick Masset.... the rangers could have a great bullpen.

or if the right offer comes by for aki, you can take that and reinforce a weakness. if they cant get zito they will probably try to package someone with aki for a legit starter.

I agree with you about Littleton, but are you saying you think he'll start the year at closer? 8-o

I haven't heard anything about that, everything I have read has it as Otsuka's job. I know he could be traded, but even then I think Gagne would be the runner-up, depending on how he performs in spring training.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:13 pm

It sounds like a decent deal for both sides.

Gagne gets a chance to prove himself and then land a fat, long-term deal next winter if he does well.

The Rangers pick up the opportunity to deal either Otsuka or Gagne mid-season if Gagne looks good for some quality players to teams that have shaky bullpens, which there's always a few of.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers