Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:01 am

Coppermine wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Idiocracy; of course, I went in hoping for another Office Space but didn't quite get that. The movie was a little on the dumb side, but the social commentary was fantastic. I don't think Fox supported it because Bill O'Reilly would immediately call for a boycott of his own network if they did.

I've said we're coming dangerously close to "Ow, My Balls" a few times here.


I read an review on the movie that I thought put it perfectly- i'll paraphrase somewhat but basically it said that "It wasn't that you were really laughing at the potty humor, but at how ridiculously pathetic the people who were laughing at it were."

I thought that pretty much summed up the movie for me.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:18 am

sportsaddict wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Idiocracy; of course, I went in hoping for another Office Space but didn't quite get that. The movie was a little on the dumb side, but the social commentary was fantastic. I don't think Fox supported it because Bill O'Reilly would immediately call for a boycott of his own network if they did.

I've said we're coming dangerously close to "Ow, My Balls" a few times here.


I read an review on the movie that I thought put it perfectly- i'll paraphrase somewhat but basically it said that "It wasn't that you were really laughing at the potty humor, but at how ridiculously pathetic the people who were laughing at it were."

I thought that pretty much summed up the movie for me.


God bless America :B
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:24 am

OK here's what I was planning to say before accidentally nuking Copper's post... :D

O'Reilly may have a hand in it ;7 :D but I think the reason FOX didn't go wide with it was because the movie was a mess and I say that lovingly. I liked it a lot but I think there was a gem hidden beneath a poor budget and sloppy direction. Even though this was partly the point, I think they overdid the low brow humor to the point where it became a National Lampoon-like flick. Someone earlier in the thread said great idea, poor execution and that's basically how I feel. The vote tallies on IMDB for the non-American demographic really say a lot (6.2) because this is normally the type of subject matter they eat up. !+)

Still haven't seen Knocked Up :/ but I got to see Breach (8/10) last night. Great film. The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:29 am

Amazinz wrote:The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.

I take it that you found Good Sheppard to be as boring (and yet not) as I did?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.

I take it that you found Good Sheppard to be as boring (and yet not) as I did?

Yeah that basically sums it up for me. The individual pieces were at times wonderful but as a complete film it just didn't work.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 am

Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:OK here's what I was planning to say before accidentally nuking Copper's post... :D

O'Reilly may have a hand in it ;7 :D but I think the reason FOX didn't go wide with it was because the movie was a mess and I say that lovingly. I liked it a lot but I think there was a gem hidden beneath a poor budget and sloppy direction. Even though this was partly the point, I think they overdid the low brow humor to the point where it became a National Lampoon-like flick. Someone earlier in the thread said great idea, poor execution and that's basically how I feel. The vote tallies on IMDB for the non-American demographic really say a lot (6.2) because this is normally the type of subject matter they eat up. !+)


I agree with this assessment; I should have noted my O'Reilly comment was tongue-in-cheek; Fox keeps their news and entertainment divisions pretty well separated.

Idiocracy was a bad movie sitting in a great idea; it was poorly executed but the scope was too much for a comedy anyway. I'd say it wins points mostly for it's clever idea and ironic humor (it's not laughing at the movie, but laughing at the people laughing at the movie) type of thing.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Coppermine wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Idiocracy; of course, I went in hoping for another Office Space but didn't quite get that. The movie was a little on the dumb side, but the social commentary was fantastic. I don't think Fox supported it because Bill O'Reilly would immediately call for a boycott of his own network if they did.

I've said we're coming dangerously close to "Ow, My Balls" a few times here.


Also, PWF... I know ratings are different in Canada, but here, if you drop a couple F bombs, simulate sex or show a boob for more than 3 seconds, it's an automatic R rating (and lately they've been pushing NC-17). Welcome to Prudish State of America.

Edit: It's cool Amazinz, gotta love the 'back' button the webbrowsers.


I live in the States now, if you don't know yet. And since Manhattan is such a boring town, movie is about it for me now... %6

I'm envious of the Shawnee Mission West kid here who goes to KU, I bet Lawrence is more fun :,(
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Yoda wrote:Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.


Just 7/10?! I saw that movie on the weekend, and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I don't know how everyones rating, but I would definitely put it around the top.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8770
(Past Year: 404)
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.


Just 7/10?! I saw that movie on the weekend, and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I don't know how everyones rating, but I would definitely put it around the top.


I thought it was hilarious also and I was thoroughly entertained but just way too over the top for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Philadelphia at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact