Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:01 am

Coppermine wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Idiocracy; of course, I went in hoping for another Office Space but didn't quite get that. The movie was a little on the dumb side, but the social commentary was fantastic. I don't think Fox supported it because Bill O'Reilly would immediately call for a boycott of his own network if they did.

I've said we're coming dangerously close to "Ow, My Balls" a few times here.

I read an review on the movie that I thought put it perfectly- i'll paraphrase somewhat but basically it said that "It wasn't that you were really laughing at the potty humor, but at how ridiculously pathetic the people who were laughing at it were."

I thought that pretty much summed up the movie for me.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:18 am

sportsaddict wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Idiocracy; of course, I went in hoping for another Office Space but didn't quite get that. The movie was a little on the dumb side, but the social commentary was fantastic. I don't think Fox supported it because Bill O'Reilly would immediately call for a boycott of his own network if they did.

I read an review on the movie that I thought put it perfectly- i'll paraphrase somewhat but basically it said that "It wasn't that you were really laughing at the potty humor, but at how ridiculously pathetic the people who were laughing at it were."

I thought that pretty much summed up the movie for me.

God bless America :B
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:24 am

OK here's what I was planning to say before accidentally nuking Copper's post... :D

O'Reilly may have a hand in it ;7 :D but I think the reason FOX didn't go wide with it was because the movie was a mess and I say that lovingly. I liked it a lot but I think there was a gem hidden beneath a poor budget and sloppy direction. Even though this was partly the point, I think they overdid the low brow humor to the point where it became a National Lampoon-like flick. Someone earlier in the thread said great idea, poor execution and that's basically how I feel. The vote tallies on IMDB for the non-American demographic really say a lot (6.2) because this is normally the type of subject matter they eat up. !+)

Still haven't seen Knocked Up :/ but I got to see Breach (8/10) last night. Great film. The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:29 am

Amazinz wrote:The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.

I take it that you found Good Sheppard to be as boring (and yet not) as I did?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The people who made the Good Sheppard (even though I like it) could have learned a lot from these guys.

I take it that you found Good Sheppard to be as boring (and yet not) as I did?

Yeah that basically sums it up for me. The individual pieces were at times wonderful but as a complete film it just didn't work.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 am

Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:OK here's what I was planning to say before accidentally nuking Copper's post... :D

O'Reilly may have a hand in it ;7 :D but I think the reason FOX didn't go wide with it was because the movie was a mess and I say that lovingly. I liked it a lot but I think there was a gem hidden beneath a poor budget and sloppy direction. Even though this was partly the point, I think they overdid the low brow humor to the point where it became a National Lampoon-like flick. Someone earlier in the thread said great idea, poor execution and that's basically how I feel. The vote tallies on IMDB for the non-American demographic really say a lot (6.2) because this is normally the type of subject matter they eat up. !+)

I agree with this assessment; I should have noted my O'Reilly comment was tongue-in-cheek; Fox keeps their news and entertainment divisions pretty well separated.

Idiocracy was a bad movie sitting in a great idea; it was poorly executed but the scope was too much for a comedy anyway. I'd say it wins points mostly for it's clever idea and ironic humor (it's not laughing at the movie, but laughing at the people laughing at the movie) type of thing.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Also, PWF... I know ratings are different in Canada, but here, if you drop a couple F bombs, simulate sex or show a boob for more than 3 seconds, it's an automatic R rating (and lately they've been pushing NC-17). Welcome to Prudish State of America.

Edit: It's cool Amazinz, gotta love the 'back' button the webbrowsers.

I live in the States now, if you don't know yet. And since Manhattan is such a boring town, movie is about it for me now... %6

I'm envious of the Shawnee Mission West kid here who goes to KU, I bet Lawrence is more fun :,(
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Yoda wrote:Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.

Just 7/10?! I saw that movie on the weekend, and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I don't know how everyones rating, but I would definitely put it around the top.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Knocked Up - 7/10 - It was very funny but too over the top at times. Matinee worthy.

Just 7/10?! I saw that movie on the weekend, and thought it was absolutely hilarious. I don't know how everyones rating, but I would definitely put it around the top.

I thought it was hilarious also and I was thoroughly entertained but just way too over the top for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk