Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:37 am

Coppermine wrote:
ironman wrote:Knocked Up 9/10

Outstanding comedy. Some great raunchy jokes, but at the same time touches upon some fairly realistic issues that couples sometimes face.

Also the fantasy baseball season is hilarious, although I was the only one in the theater laughing at it. The rest must not play, therefore they don't get it.

I felt like there were parts where I was the only one in the theater laughing, but I went to an early showing and the crowd was a little older than I would have expected. The fantasy baseball part was great, and some of the subtle references about the shoebomber-roommate's beard definitely went over people's heads.

It was clever and original despite its raunchiness. Highly recommended ;-D

Yeah we were at a 4:00 showing, and I'd say that half the crowd got their AARP discount.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:45 am

I am going to go and see it tonight. ;-D

I forgot to mention I saw Vacancy a couple of weeks back. It wasn't my choice but I was glad I went after the fact. The ending is a bit vanilla but overall it's one of the sharpest thrillers I've seen in a long time. 7/10
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Recently saw two Tarantino films for the first time.

Resevoir Dogs- was very impressed. I thought it was brilliant. Extremely violent, and chilling, but was witty and funny at times and definitely entertaining. I thought it was a great movie. 9 out of 10.

Pulp Fiction- I thought Samuel L Jackson was unbelievable as Joules, and Travolta wasn't bad either. I thought the conversations between these two were some of the best dialogue in the entire movie, and I liked how Tarantino humanized these mobsters to kind of show that they are human after all (he put this into Resevoir Dogs as well). Great movie overall. 9 out of 10.

Also, I saw A History of Violence. All I have to say is it was one of the goriest movies I've seen in awhile. There were some pretty raunchy sex scenes that seemed out of place, but overall it was an entertaining movie. I say entertaining because I thought the movie didn't really convey its theme all that well, but still, not bad. 7 out of 10.

Lastly, I finally saw Full Metal Jacket by Stanley Kubrick. Brilliant film. The first half of the movie was just perfect, I thought it was better than the 2nd half, although that held its own as well. The message was extremely moving, and it wasn't one of these trendy anti-war films. It was just a war film, just Kubrick showing you what war is without giving an opinion. His development of all the characters was phenomenal and Vincent D'Oniforio (spelling?) was convincing as Pyle. 9 out of 10.

I just rented American History X and Memento, both seem to be promising ;D
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 pm

I love A History of Violence. I own it on DVD now and have watched it several times since seeing it in the theater. It's one of those films that is great to analyze. I don't remember the exact thread but I remember a discussion about when it came out. I won't bore you with all my thoughts on it but I do disagree with you about the theme because I thought it was so effectively done. My only gripe with the film is the transition from the second to the third act. It feels awkward, like there was a scene "missing". But on the DVD there is only one deleted scene, a dream sequence, which is neat but you understand why they removed it after seeing it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:I am going to go and see it tonight. ;-D

Something came up. Couldn't make it. Going to try and fit it in sometime this week. :t
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Re:

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I am going to go and see it tonight. ;-D

Something came up. Couldn't make it. Going to try and fit it in sometime this week. :t

Go, go, go! It's so great. I hope I'm not overhyping it, but good comedies come out like once or twice a year and this one is one of the best in the last several.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm

Saw Knocked Up last night, and it was absolutely hysterical. Definitely go see it. ;D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby partibrejker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:36 am

they killed knocked up with the ending. Let's just say there was a little to much showing at the end, and i don't mean good showing. Whoever has seen it knows what i am talking about. Overall good movie i give up 7.5/10, maybe even a 7. It had it's fare of funny jokes/scenes.

I think the fantasy scene had 1.pujols 2. arod 3. vlad 4.wright
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:00 am

Unknown - 5.0/10

I wanted to give this a 4.0, but the flurry of plot twists at the end were mildly intriguing. Too bad the rest of the movie sucked so bad. In short, Unknown could have been called Mafia: the Game - the Movie. Five people wake up in a warehouse with no recollection of who they are or how they got there. They figure out quickly that some of them are bad and others are good, and they start forming teams against each other as they go through the logic of who must be good or bad. At that point, all semblances to Cube end quickly. You get to know who's bad and who's good fairly quickly, which takes 90% of the drama out of the movie. You also get to know why they are stuck in this warehouse even faster, which takes another 5% of the drama out of the movie.

In the end, the movie became a character-driven story about whether or not bad guys would do bad things if they didn't remember they were bad guys... and vice versa. Like I said, there are about 3 plot twists in the last 10 minutes, and I have to admit that they did bring my interest in the movie up a smidge. However, a few last second charades don't change the fact that this movie sucked.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:08 am

partibrejker wrote:they killed knocked up with the ending. Let's just say there was a little to much showing at the end, and i don't mean good showing. Whoever has seen it knows what i am talking about. Overall good movie i give up 7.5/10, maybe even a 7. It had it's fare of funny jokes/scenes.

I think the fantasy scene had 1.pujols 2. arod 3. vlad 4.wright

Eh, I wouldn't kill it entirely on the ending. Good luck when you have a kid. Apparently Anne Hathaway was cast as the female lead but dropped out when they wouldn't budge on showing shots of an actual birth.

It's not a kids movie.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk