Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:37 am

6/10 for me too. It's worth a rent, nothing special. I thought they tried to hard to make Hannibal a "good guy". Anyone read the book? Was wondering if the story was true to it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:39 pm

6/10 seems about right for Hannibal Rising. I'm not a big fan of the series anyway, but I did enjoy the revenge factor, though it didn't seem to fit the Hannibal we were all used to.

Watched Apocalypto the other day. I thought it was pretty good. The depiction of what life could have been like back then was decent and the desperation angle was well done I thought.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mbuser » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:12 pm

been meaning to join this thread for a while. i'll start by gathering my posts from the past few months in a 'last movie you saw' thread i participate in at another board:

pan's labyrinth -- great movie. very good story, solid special effects, very good acting

reversal of fortune -- a showtime documentary that asks and answers the question 'what happens when you give a homeless man $100k'. certainly held my interest

spellbound -- watched it for the second time. fantastic documentary that profiles eight participants in the 1999 national spelling bee. really entertaining

suicide kings -- decent flick about a group of guys who kidnap an ex-mob boss (christopher walken) in order to leverage the return of their friend's sister, who was previously kidnapped

the devil's backbone -- from the same guy who directed pan's labyrinth. a good ghost story

qhosts of rwanda -- a 2-hour piece done by frontline (PBS). actually put this in my queue after seeing hotel rwanda. anyway, what it boils down to is that the world did nothing at first because nobody had any interests there, then did nothing after the fact while they argued over the legal definition of the word 'genocide'. once anybody even thought it was a decent idea to intervene, 800,000 were dead in a period of 12 weeks and it was over. as you can imagine, it's not for the faint of heart, and your emotions really run the gamut while you watch

babel -- very well done. definitely not a feel-good movie, but certainly effective

just friends -- a really funny movie. ryan reynolds, amy smart, anna faris, chris klein all do a great job, and the writing is fantastic -- it's pretty much one funny scene after another. even the end credits are hilarious

one day in september -- a documentary made in 1999 about the 1972 munich olympic incident that is very powerful and shocking. powerful because of the stories from all sides, including the last surviving palestian who was part of the group that took the jewish athletes hostage. it's shocking because it details how much of a clusterf*ck the german attempts to do anything were, including how they didn't allow israel to send a rescue team into the country let alone near the olympics, and then how the germans agreed to allow a lufthansa flight (carrying just 12 adult males, mind you) to be 'hijacked' so that the 3 terrorists who were captured could then be exchanged for the passengers in the plane. incredible stuff (won best documentary oscar in 2000)

the boondock saints -- 7/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/

pursuit of happyness -- good movie and quite a story

this film is not yet rated -- interesting documentary about the american movie ratings board, who go to great lengths to keep the identities of the people who rate movies 'for us' a secret. what you end up walking away from this is, in a nutshell, that they are morality police who have much bigger issues with brief glimpses of pubic hair than close-ups of limbs being hacked off, and their identities are kept secret despite the lack of an actual good reason
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/

children of men -- brilliant cinematography, but the movie itself was pretty lacking for me. i might waht to check out the novel it was based on, though

300 -- very entertaining, very stylish. enjoyed it immensely

running with scissors -- truth can be stranger than fiction. great cast with very good performances, but not a great 'movie'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439289/

the omen -- (the remake) decent for the most part, but some parts were overdone and the ending was disappointing.

united 93 -- what a sad day in our history. pretty tense and uneasy film to watch, as i'm sure you can imagine. what you can't imagine is what it must have been like to have been on that or any one of those planes

disturbia -- it was suspenseful when it finally got going. decent, not great
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486822/

hot fuzz -- some funny moments but pretty bad overall. no clue how this movie is currently in the IMDB top 250
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425112/

little children -- a very interesting movie about people struggling with their lives in suburbia, but really about a whole range of people struggling with life in general. very good acting all around, and the narration was an effective twist. *sidenote* kate winslet looks good naked
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404203/

big night -- a very good movie, but you won't appreciate if you aren't a foodie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/

the filth and the fury -- very interesting documentary about the sex pistols, who i didn't know much at all about. pretty amazing stuff -- they changed the world making music for a little over two years, living out exactly how they were feeling at any given moment
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0236216/

the last waltz -- a martin scorcese documentary from 1978 that mostly focuses on music from the final concert of the band, but also has some interviews and some studio performances. artists that played with them in that concert included muddy waters, bob dylan, eric clapton, van morrison, joan baez, neil young, paul butterfield, neil diamond, and dr john. if you are a fan of the band, then you will enjoy it immensely, but any fan of simply great music from that time period will like this. great stuff
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/

night at the museum -- my gf talked me into it, but it ended up being a lot more entertaining than i was anticipating. a nice light comedy. and carla gugino is one of my favorites *goes to find pics of her from sin city*
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:01 pm

Letters from Iwo Jima - 8.5/10 - great war film. I don't believe I've ever seen a war movie from the Japanese point of view so it was interesting. Highly recommended. I thought it was better than Flags of Our Fathers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Pirates 3: 7/10 Not as good as the first one, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Loved Keith Richards in it. ;-D

I watched The Hills Have Eyes a couple weekends ago. 5/10. It was alright. It wasn't really scary so much as it was gross.

My g/f had me watch A Knight's Tale the other night as well. I had started the movie a couple times before but never seen it all the way through. 5/10. I was confused because they kept trying to put modern stuff into it. Kinda weird.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm

luckygehrig wrote:My g/f had me watch A Knight's Tale the other night as well. I had started the movie a couple times before but never seen it all the way through. 5/10. I was confused because they kept trying to put modern stuff into it. Kinda weird.

Is that the one with Martin Lawrence in it?

I thought that movie was pretty awful :-t
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:44 pm

have you ever seen a bad movie buser? ;-7 :-B

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:have you ever seen a bad movie buser? ;-7 :-B

Exactly what I was thinking.....will definately take what he says with a ;-7 :-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:34 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:My g/f had me watch A Knight's Tale the other night as well. I had started the movie a couple times before but never seen it all the way through. 5/10. I was confused because they kept trying to put modern stuff into it. Kinda weird.

That was Black Knight, which was terrible. A Knight's Tale was with Heath Ledger.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:

That was Black Knight, which was terrible. A Knight's Tale was with Heath Ledger.

Both movies were -2/10 in my book.

:-P :-P
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk