Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:57 am

ironman wrote:I'm going to see Knocked Up tomorrow. My buddy saw an advanced screening and said it was hilarious.

Knocked Up: 92% on RottenTomatoes. One of the highest-rated comedies I've ever seen on there.

I think we're entering a new era of comedy thanks to Judd Apatow. Not only is he genius, he's original. Perhaps this means we don't have to endure trailers for movies by the Wayans brothers, like "Little White Chicks Man" or something equally atrocious. Hopefully "Delta Farce" has proven that Blue Collar comedy fans aren't willing to pay to laugh at farts and gay bashing. And whoever mentioned Epic Movie; not only was that unanimously chosen as pretty much the worst movie made in the past several years for national consumption (2%). Good satire died when Mel Brooks decided to start focusing on musicals again. Epic Movie makes Men in Tights look like Casablanca.

Even the "Frat Pack" movies are beginning to lose their luster (hits like "Wedding Crashers" are remembered ahead of misses like "Starsky & Hutch"), although Paul Rudd may be the funniest actor you never heard of in all of those movies.

I'm looking forward to it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:59 am

Yoda wrote:Anyone see Letters from Iwo Jima? Want to rent it but it's not in the vid store... Flags of Our Fathers was pretty damn good.

I'm big on war movies but I didn't get out to see these. I just gave the boxed set to my Dad for his birthday yesterday (btw - how do you turn 2 movies into a 5 DVD collection?) so I'll end up seeing them soon and I will report back here.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby JTWood » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:26 am

josebach wrote:I like both Denzel and Ridley Scott a lot, but this movie was so ridiculous I just couldn't get into it.

I thought it was preposterous, too, and the ending was unspectacular. JC's character was one of the most boring bad guys ever.

4.0/10

I loved that they billed it as an action movie, but then decided to try and actually explain the temporal anomaly to the audience. I looked around during that scene, and I saw more people with the "What on earth are they talking about?" look on their face...

:*)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Yoda wrote:Anyone see Letters from Iwo Jima? Want to rent it but it's not in the vid store... Flags of Our Fathers was pretty damn good.

I'm big on war movies but I didn't get out to see these. I just gave the boxed set to my Dad for his birthday yesterday (btw - how do you turn 2 movies into a 5 DVD collection?) so I'll end up seeing them soon and I will report back here.

Flags was very good. I think I gave it 8/10. Little longer than I would have liked but still...

Just rented Letters. Movie night this weekend. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:46 pm

It's very good, it was probably the best movie I saw in 2006. IMO, Letters was actually better than Flags.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Coppermine wrote:Try the new version of "The Hills Have Eyes." A horrible movie in every sense, and unnervingly creepy. I don't think it's fit for human consumption.

How do movies like this get an R rating?

I really enjoyed that one. I don't mind horrible grisly messes like those at all. I like my horror in my face- "look at this disgusting stuff here!!"

It's the ghostly supernatural ones like The Grudge and The Ring that creep me out. :-{ Aren't those both PG-13 even??
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby sliders51 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:15 am

I just saw Knocked Up and I thought it was hilarious. You guys gotta see this movie, and the best part..........there was a scene where they were holding a FANTASY BASEBALL DRAFT!!! The only name that I could read on the board was VLAD.....#4 Pick.....solid ;-D
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby partibrejker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:22 am

josebach wrote:
Tavish wrote:Watched Deja Vu on DVD last night. Pretty decent for being a blended version of Back to the Future and CSI. I haven't been real impressed with Denzel's lastest work but I actually enjoyed him in this film.

7.5/10

I couldn't get past him shining the laser pointer at the monitor and the woman being displayed on the monitor actually saw it. :-?

I like both Denzel and Ridley Scott a lot, but this movie was so ridiculous I just couldn't get into it. I did think the boat explosion at the beginning was pretty cool, though.

6.5/10

i totally agree. It seemed like it was all over the place, and at the end it left you with just "what" "huh?"

The prestige is a good movie. I would have to give it 8.5/10.
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:12 am

sliders51 wrote:I just saw Knocked Up and I thought it was hilarious. You guys gotta see this movie, and the best part..........there was a scene where they were holding a FANTASY BASEBALL DRAFT!!! The only name that I could read on the board was VLAD.....#4 Pick.....solid ;-D

i saw an interview with paul rudd and im pretty sure they were saying that it was a real league and he was naming his players and acting like he was really good. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:31 am

Hannibal Rising 6/10 - way over the top and inconsistent. Still, it could have been way worse. Solid if you don't go in with a high expectation. It was gory but not as much as I thought it would be.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk