Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am

Mookie4ever wrote: Having a kid along with you greatly enhances the experience (then again so would being stoned).

priceless
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat May 26, 2007 9:46 am

Old_Style wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Taking the afternoon off to see Shrek with my son. I sure hope the popcorn is good. :-o

There's nothing wrong with Shrek. I've always enjoyed watching a Disney movie that can be enjoyed by both children and adults. ;-D

i think shrek is dreamworks. :*)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 am

Yoda wrote:Apocalypto 8/10 - very tense and gripping movie. Felt stressed out at the end. Very entertaining. So what actually caused the fall of the great Mayan Civilization? Disease? Genocide? Invasion?

i just saw this too, and i liked it a lot as well. there were some historical inaccuracies though, i've read they sacrificed captured royal family members not warriors, and it wasn't on as massive scale as shown in the movie. i think the sacrifices depicted more aztecs traditions than mayans. also the eclipse part was a bit unrealistic. it takes hours, not mere minutes for an eclipse to pass through.

anyways, i saw on history channel's digging for the truth about the mayans and their theory was, they destroyed all their vegetation around their big city because they needed to make paint. they had some obsessive kings who wanted to paint their grand temples/shrines over and over again. you saw in the movie when those slaves were applying some pigment stuff on their buildings? i think that's what they were trying to depict. when they destroyed the vegetation, mainly trees, to fuel the fire so that they can cook up their paint pigments on a massive scale, they didn't realize that w/o the trees to cover the skies, it devastated their farmland when it rained (and it rained a lot in that area) and they couldn't cultivate anymore.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sat May 26, 2007 12:17 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Yoda wrote:Apocalypto 8/10 - very tense and gripping movie. Felt stressed out at the end. Very entertaining. So what actually caused the fall of the great Mayan Civilization? Disease? Genocide? Invasion?

i just saw this too, and i liked it a lot as well. there were some historical inaccuracies though, i've read they sacrificed captured royal family members not warriors, and it wasn't on as massive scale as shown in the movie. i think the sacrifices depicted more aztecs traditions than mayans. also the eclipse part was a bit unrealistic. it takes hours, not mere minutes for an eclipse to pass through.

anyways, i saw on history channel's digging for the truth about the mayans and their theory was, they destroyed all their vegetation around their big city because they needed to make paint. they had some obsessive kings who wanted to paint their grand temples/shrines over and over again. you saw in the movie when those slaves were applying some pigment stuff on their buildings? i think that's what they were trying to depict. when they destroyed the vegetation, mainly trees, to fuel the fire so that they can cook up their paint pigments on a massive scale, they didn't realize that w/o the trees to cover the skies, it devastated their farmland when it rained (and it rained a lot in that area) and they couldn't cultivate anymore.

Yeah I left out famine as one of the reasons for the collapse as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Sat May 26, 2007 12:54 pm

Here we go again Yoda.....

Saw Pan's Labrynth - 6/10

It was nothing like I thought it was going to be.....I thought there would be more labrynth and more "fantasy characters". Maybe the fact that I was expecting something completely different is why it was just ok for me.......oh and the fact I had to read the whole movie since everyone spoke Spanish! :-t It was just ok for me.....but like I said I was expecting something different.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby JTWood » Sat May 26, 2007 11:17 pm

Just came back from 28 Weeks Later. Gonna give it a 7/10: Worth seeing, but not great by any stretch.

It... was... gruesome. I didn't think the plot was anywhere near as good as the first one, but man was this one intense from about 20 minutes onward. From a pure entertainment standpoint, I was definitely into the movie. Unlike the first movie, though, I won't be buying this one when it comes out on DVD. I guess it falls short by that test. Definitely glad I saw it, though, and if I can ever get my neighbor to watch the first one, I might go see the this one at the theater again.

Sure was glad that the original team had so much to say in the filming of the second one. The feel of the movie was very true to its predecessor.
Last edited by JTWood on Sat May 26, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Sat May 26, 2007 11:32 pm

Just got back from taking my son to see Spiderman 3. Way too many storylines, not nearly enough dedication to make any of them very interesting. If they are going to make the movie almost 2.5 hours long then there needs to be more than 3 or 4 interesting scenes. 4/10 certainly a major downtrend in the series, enough for me to hope they don't make a 4th.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Sun May 27, 2007 12:31 pm

J35J wrote:Here we go again Yoda.....

Saw Pan's Labrynth - 6/10

It was nothing like I thought it was going to be.....I thought there would be more labrynth and more "fantasy characters". Maybe the fact that I was expecting something completely different is why it was just ok for me.......oh and the fact I had to read the whole movie since everyone spoke Spanish! :-t It was just ok for me.....but like I said I was expecting something different.

Ouch... I am sorry you didn't enjoy it. I really liked the parallel between the fantasy world versus the real world. Makes you keep guessing what is real and what is not. I guess your expectation was too high. I thought it was much better the second time around also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Sun May 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Heh... watched Apocalypto like 3 times this weekend... I have problems. X-I
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk