Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed May 23, 2007 2:12 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I recently saw The Prestige. It was a solid effort. I'd give it about a 7/10.

That's about six points better than The Illusionist. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 am

dreamgirls

7/10

i liked thunder early character a lot but that's about it. the girls were a bit 1 dimensional except effi and hudson's singing was a bit over hyped, but i still enjoyed some of the music.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Wed May 23, 2007 8:26 am

All the King's Men - 9/10

Great story. Great acting. Great movie. I haven't looked up any of the true events, but it seems like this governor was a very interesting gentleman. The only thing I regret was that I didn't have time to watch it all in one setting. This movie was so intriguing that my wife actually demanded that we stay up late last night to finish watching it. She never does that. She's not a big movie person.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 am

The new one with Sean Penn? :*)

I had read the novel and seen the original 1940s film prior to seeing this one. Maybe it influenced my perspective but I really thought this movie was awful. The acting was great but they did a poor job of showing the evolution of Stark. Just my $.02.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 am

Amazinz wrote:The acting was great but they did a poor job of showing the evolution of Stark. Just my $.02.

I will agree with that. He went from flawless idealist to corrupt idealist seemingly in one scene. But I will admit that my opinion of this movie is skewed by the fact that I knew nothing of Stark or this story. The movie really left open some of the idea that maybe he wasn't as corrupt as people thought he was, and it definitely didn't tell you who was behind the ending indirectly (even though they obviously had their two most-likely candidates pegged for you).

I intend to read up on the real events. I guess I should have reserved the right to change my mind later if I found out that the movie was way off base compared to reality.

All things considered, though, I haven't been that engrossed by a movie in quite some time.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am

I had to go out and buy Troy, with Brad Pitt. If you thought 300 was good you should watch Troy because it is better, IMO. Its almost 3 hours long so be prepared for that.

Very good movie, its in my top 10! Achillies is a bad mo fo!!!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 11:59 am

J35J wrote:I had to go out and buy Troy, with Brad Pitt. If you thought 300 was good you should watch Troy because it is better, IMO. Its almost 3 hours long so be prepared for that.

I was really disappointed actually because I love epic/historic/war movies in general.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Wed May 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:I had to go out and buy Troy, with Brad Pitt. If you thought 300 was good you should watch Troy because it is better, IMO. Its almost 3 hours long so be prepared for that.

I was really disappointed actually because I love epic/historic/war movies in general.

which movie? Troy or 300 or both?

Either way, I'm not a big history/war buff so the realism or accuracies to history doesn't factor in to what I think about a movie. Both are good movies but Troy > 300, IMO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 23, 2007 1:38 pm

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Either way, I'm not a big history/war buff so the realism or accuracies to history doesn't factor in to what I think about a movie. Both are good movies but Troy > 300, IMO.

I'm a huge history buff as well as a movie lover, so I think it's ok for directors to both stay true to history while taking some creative license over the actual story. I personally liked 300 better than Troy, not because of historic accuracy but for scope and artistic merit.

Troy wasn't bad though, but Achilles was so mopey! Cheer up Achilles!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:
J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I'm a huge history buff as well as a movie lover, so I think it's ok for directors to both stay true to history while taking some creative license over the actual story. I personally liked 300 better than Troy, not because of historic accuracy but for scope and artistic merit.

Troy wasn't bad though, but Achilles was so mopey! Cheer up Achilles!

I think Copper and I have similar tastes in movies. I liked 300 a lot better than Troy also. It was more stylish and artistic. Troy was very dull and boring for me.

I don't care about historical accuracies either as long as the movie is entertaining.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk